+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 37 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Academy Awards 2013

Re: Academy Awards 2013

Whoah.

Fury as The Onion brands nine-year-old Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis 'a c***' in shocking tweet then says 'you deserve better' | Mail Online

Commentary about whether or not you like the show, the dresses, the movies, etc., well, that's ONE thing.

But THIS?

No.

Not in ANY context is this funny, or necessary.
    Last edited by ness; 02-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Why would they even.....? I don't understand this world anymore
    ness likes this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Why would they even.....? I don't understand this world anymore
    Me, either.

I know that ugliness is something that's not going to go away in any of our lifetimes.

But DAMN.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Academy Awards 2013

Guys, it's The Onion.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    As if I didn't love Jennifer enough already. The video of her and Jack Nicholson on this page is made of awesome: Jack Nicholson Hits on Jennifer Lawrence After Oscar Win | tooFab.com
    Thanks for posting Crit, that was too cute!!

Quote Originally Posted by ness View Post
    Whoah.

Fury as The Onion brands nine-year-old Oscar nominee Quvenzhané Wallis 'a c***' in shocking tweet then says 'you deserve better' | Mail Online

Commentary about whether or not you like the show, the dresses, the movies, etc., well, that's ONE thing.

But THIS?

No.

Not in ANY context is this funny, or necessary.
    It IS The Onion so I do think it was *intended* to be funny rather than hateful, but it was still extreme even for them. Especially when referring to a child. Looks like the CEO has apologized...
    'The Onion' Apologizes For Offensive Tweet About 9-Year-Old Quvenzhane Wallis : The Two-Way : NPR

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

So, even luckier girl!

As if I didn't love Jennifer enough already. The video of her and Jack Nicholson on this page is made of awesome: Jack Nicholson Hits on Jennifer Lawrence After Oscar Win | tooFab.com
    Yeah, no kidding! I would have just stayed there on the steps until those two came to help me. LOL

I liked the 2nd video too on that page you referenced, Critical. She can answer a stupid question with some snide/snark and it doesn't come across that way. Not many can get away with that. She's brilliant!
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Hugh Jackson and Bradley Cooper both got up to help Jennifer Lawrence. I state here and now and for the record that I adore Hugh Jackson.

As mentioned, Andy Griffith did several films although most of them were earlier in his career. Alex Karras also did a few including Blazing Saddles (Mongo) and Babe (George Maharias). Richard Dawson did pretty much only tv.

I did like Seth as host for the most part. He was pleasant and not overly loud, but I did think some of his jokes were on the tasteless side. I agree that Krisen Stewart was a disaster; she looked as sounded as if she were on Quaaludes.

What a joy to hear Barbra Streisand and Shirley Bassey sing. Both have lower ranges now from age shortening the vocal cords, but both are still brilliant signers. For me, Goldfinger was the best James Bond song ever. I adore Marvin Hamlisch's work and was so pleased to hear Barbra sing it.

I did love seeing the full skirted ball gowns come back although I really do think people should wear what pleases them. I've always loved Helena Bonham Carter for doing just that even if I wouldn't choose to wear what she does. Meryl Streep was another who went her own way including wearing tennis shoes under a gown so she could walk up onto stage more easily.

I haven't yet seen most of the nomination films, but they are all on my Netflix list and can't wait to see most of them as soon as they become available.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    Yeah, no kidding! I would have just stayed there on the steps until those two came to help me. LOL

I liked the 2nd video too on that page you referenced, Critical. She can answer a stupid question with some snide/snark and it doesn't come across that way. Not many can get away with that. She's brilliant!
    I liked the 2nd video too. I watched pretty much all of her backstage interviews and she was killing it. That video didn't show the part where someone asked her if she was worried about peaking too soon. She made a face and then said "I am now!"

On E! they have this lame "Mani Cam" where actresses put their hands in this box that has a camera attached so we can see their manicure. When they asked Jennifer is she wanted to do it, she said she didn't want to stick her hand in there, but then she leaned down, put her face in the opening of the box and said (because she told Emma Stone she would), "Your ass is mine, Stone!" Then they told her that the camera came unplugged and they didn't get it on tape.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Guys, it's The Onion.
    I know, but...I'm familiar with The Onion and I'm a fan of inappropriate humour, but I'm also the mom of a nine-year-old and no how, no way is that name ever even remotely funny...especially used in reference to a little girl. That made me see red.
    ness and bee stung lips like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread