+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Academy Awards 2013

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Re: Academy Awards 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jacobson00 View Post
    they missed Lupe onto? (she played in Serena and desperate housewives). The latino community isn't too happy about that
    Is she the actress who played Carlos's mother? I had no idea she had died.

FORT Fogey

I think that when it comes to the in Memoriam, people will always be unhappy. Both Andy Griffith and Alex Karras appeared in movies, but neither were instrumental to the Academy. Richard Dawson I don't recall having any connection to film at all. As a viewer, when the flash up a bunch of publicists, executives, and people I've never heard of, it doesn't mean much to me. But it makes more sense to acknowledge them, if they are people who would normally be at the Oscars, and whose presence people are missing, then to list every single celebrity. I think there are very very few entertainers who can and should make every memorial reel of each awards show.
    Arielflies likes this.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    Richard Dawson I don't recall having any connection to film at all.
    Oh how quickly we have forgotten The Running Man!
    ClosetRTWatcher likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    DDL is just adorable.
    He was the highlight of the night for me. Loved him since My Left Foot.... a fantastic actor. He doesn't do alot of films, but when he does he seems to get nominated.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think that when it comes to the in Memoriam, people will always be unhappy. Both Andy Griffith and Alex Karras appeared in movies, but neither were instrumental to the Academy. Richard Dawson I don't recall having any connection to film at all. As a viewer, when the flash up a bunch of publicists, executives, and people I've never heard of, it doesn't mean much to me. But it makes more sense to acknowledge them, if they are people who would normally be at the Oscars, and whose presence people are missing, then to list every single celebrity. I think there are very very few entertainers who can and should make every memorial reel of each awards show.
    I don't know what you mean by "instrumental to the Academy."

Andy Griffith didn't do a bunch of movies, but I thought he was pretty freaking spectacular in A Face in the Crowd. It's a film I recommend to everyone. So strange that he gave a performance like that - so multi-layered and not at all a hero - and yet most people know him as a small town sheriff....or a homespun lawyer. If someone who didn't know his work only saw that movie, I don't think they could predict the direction of his career.

Did anyone see who it was that got up out of his seat to try to help Jennifer Lawrence when she fell? Someone said it was Hugh Jackman, which would fit with his character, but I didn't get a good enough look to see if it was him. If so, lucky girl to have him and Jean DuJardin attempt to come to your rescue!

ETA: DDL should have won his fourth Best Actor Oscar tonight. He deserved to win for Gangs of New York. That performance was one for the ages. Instead, Adrien Brody won and what the hell has HE done since then? A crummy Predator sequel and some razor commercials.
    Realitychick likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

^Pretty sure it was Hugh Jackman. At least that's who it looked like on my screen. It was either him or Bradley Cooper.
    "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one." ~Elbert Hubbard
    "Happiness is not a goal; it is a by-product." ~Eleanor Roosevelt
    ~R.I.P. Grandma 6/22/33 - 10/5/10~

Yep, I just went and looked at the video and paused it and it was HJ. He's one of the good ones.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

There is video from another angle that shows both Hugh Jackman and Bradley Cooper jumping up to help Jennifer Lawrence when she fell.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/d282209fa...h4geo4_250.gif
    "Most of us go through life with blinders on. Knowing only that little station to which we were born. But you madam, have had the... rare privilege of escaping your bonds for just a spell. To see life from an entirely new perspective. How you choose to use that information is entirely up to you." -- Andrew to Joanna in Overboard

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    There is video from another angle that shows both Hugh Jackman and Bradley Cooper jumping up to help Jennifer Lawrence when she fell.

I think if she'd seen them coming she may have stayed down a bit longer.
    mushybrain likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post

So, even luckier girl!

As if I didn't love Jennifer enough already. The video of her and Jack Nicholson on this page is made of awesome: Jack Nicholson Hits on Jennifer Lawrence After Oscar Win | tooFab.com

+ Reply to Thread