+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Academy Awards 2013

To the Point

Re: Academy Awards 2013

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    WTF is up with Kristen Stewart's hair???? It looks like hell.
    Well, I think you could have you left off the ('s hair) from that question. She has no personality and is just as awful on this show as she is in movies! I just lump this hair issue in with all the other issues!
    Last edited by NCLurker; 02-25-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    Eastcoastmom likes this.

To the Point

Could have edited my other post but didn't want this attached to a post about Kristen Stewart.

My family usually isn't into watching the Academy Awards (yeah, I know that sounds crazy). We typically just do not enjoy the host, etc. and can find out who won the next day. That being said, we loved Seth! I found him entirely entertaining. Were there moments that made me cringe just a little bit? Absolutely, but they still made me chuckle. Loved all the musical moments. I had no idea that Seth was so talented musically. That surprised me. Perhaps I've just been living in a cave, but color me surprised.

Not a Jennifer Hudson fan. I get that many think she is amazing and I even get that she does have talent. There is just something strange and uncomfortable about her musical styling (I suppose that's what it is), or perhaps it is her phrasing (just not sure) that I don't enjoy. However, I did think she was a good choice for last night.

Barbra Streisand was amazing. To be 70 she still sounds amazing (and I have never been a huge fan). I also commented on the fact that she obviously must have a really good plastic surgeon.
    Debb70 likes this.

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Wow, 27 pages of comments! Haven't read through the comments yet but I honestly thought most of the women on the red carpet looked lovely. I couldn't really find fault with most of them. I loved that Helen Hunt said her gown was from H & M! I read, though, that she was wearing $700,000 of jewels, probably the huge necklace she wore.

Having not seen ANY of the nominated films I still was able to enjoy the telecast. I think Seth did an okay job... I don't think he really crossed the line with any of his jokes. I had wished we would have seen a bit more of him singing, as he is quite talented.

At 75 Jane Fonda has a smokin' bod! I know she has had some plastic surgery but dang, those exercise videos from the 80s did her body good! Huge fan of Babs and think she looked pretty good for 70. I enjoyed her performance of "The Way We Were" as well as Adele and Shirley Bassey singing "Goldfinger"

One big nitpick I have and not sure it was mentioned here at all.... did anyone find fault with the VOLUME of the telecast? It was so loud, most especially during the vocal performances. I lowered the volume on the television, but still found that the music drowned out most of the performances. Even the music that accompanied some of Seth's comments, seemed to drown him out. It really hampered my enjoyment of the show.

Hubby didn't watch the show with me but popped in just in time to see the cast of Les Miserables perform. Looked at me, and said "yep, that's one movie we won't be seeing together." Now, I've got to go see it just to hear Russell Crowe sing. I had NO idea he sang! The normally thin Anne Hathaway looked pretty slender. Has she gained back any of the weight she lost for the movie?

Loved the joke about Seth's goal to make Tommy Lee Jones laugh; he succeeded. Big upset with Christoph Waltz taking the Best Supporting Oscar. Loved Ben Affleck's speech and he seemed very genuine and sincere.

Overall, an enjoyable evening for me.

NCLurker, yes, Seth is a wonderful singer. I don't watch Family Guy but I have seen him on several talk shows over the years and he is always highly entertaining as well as so musically talented. I read that he has an album of standards out and I am going to check it out on I-tunes.

Count me as another one who doesn't care for Jennifer Hudson. I did not enjoy her on American Idol and have not enjoyed any of her subsequent performances on any of the shows she has performed on. That being said, I do, however, think she was fabulous in Dream Girls. Was it an Oscar-worthy performance? The Academy seemed to think so. That big "And I am Telling You" seems to fit her voice and I did enjoy it, but most other songs she has sung, I do not care for her singing and I can't quite pin point why. She seems like a lovely woman, though, and kudos to her for losing all that weight. She looks wonderful!

Academy Awards 2013

You must have you posts per page count set really low, eastcoastmom! I only have 9 pages.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have 27 as well.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    You must have you posts per page count set really low, eastcoastmom! I only have 9 pages.
    I guess so,Critical.

Just read online that the "In Memoriam" segment omitted Andy Griffith, Alex Karras, and Richard Dawson. Oops!
    Andy Griffith, Alex Karras and Richard Dawson MIA from Oscars In Memoriam | Yahoo! Movies Oscars Blog - Yahoo! Movies

IMHO, the only glaring omission of the three is Andy Griffith. Although most people remember him as a TV actor, he did some great work in films. The In Memoriam segment seemed to have more "behind-the-scenes" folks (writers, producers, editors, etc.) than previous years.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom View Post
    Just read online that the "In Memoriam" segment omitted Andy Griffith, Alex Karras, and Richard Dawson. Oops!
    Andy Griffith, Alex Karras and Richard Dawson MIA from Oscars In Memoriam | Yahoo! Movies Oscars Blog - Yahoo! Movies
    they missed Lupe onto? (she played in Serena and desperate housewives). The latino community isn't too happy about that

+ Reply to Thread