+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree140Likes

Thread: Academy Awards 2013

Re: Academy Awards 2013

And now I have to sit through the local news to make sure I don't miss any of Kimmel. UGH. I avoid local news at all costs. Hello, mute button!

Wow, Argo was only the 4th Best Picture winner where the director wasn't nominated.

Aaaaand, the local news anchor just called Christoph Waltz, "Christopher." Muted.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just switched over to E! and Jennifer Lawrence is killing it with the press backstage. Said she did a shot backstage. I love her.
    Miss_Griss likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, she kind of froze on stage... (JL)

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    She's talked about calling to order something on the phone and the operator asking to speak to her mother.
    And why am I SO not SURPRISED??????

LOL!!!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Not a fan of the Oscar show tonight.
    The most boring and least funny one I've watched and, trust me, I've been watching for years.
    Congrats to the winners and esp. to Ben and Jennifer Lawrence.
    Loved both their movies.
    Have not seen Lincoln, but Daniel Day Lewis always turns in a phenomenal performance.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

Thanks for all the great commentary, folks, was entertaining.

Loved Seth as host, and the William Shatner bit was hilarious. That boobies skit, pure Seth McFarlane. Juvenile. But entertaining.

Jennifer Lawrence is awesome. She takes a fall, gets a standing ovation and is still humble/not so serious. Love her. Congrats!

Only a couple of disappointments. Ann Hathaway winning and Before My Time losing. Although I do adore Adele too.

Seeing Barbra was an awesome treat.

I've got to get caught up on my movie watching...
    NCLurker likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Remember how Billy Crystal used to do take offs of the best pictures to open the Oscars? I was hoping Seth might do that with the characters of Family Guy. Unfortunately, he didn't. With luck he'll be right about Tina and Amy hosting next year.
    norealityhere likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Remember how Billy Crystal used to do take offs of the best pictures to open the Oscars? I was hoping Seth might do that with the characters of Family Guy. Unfortunately, he didn't. With luck he'll be right about Tina and Amy hosting next year.
    I'm glad he didn't. I think those Crystal songs were horrible and embarrassing. He was my least favorite host ever. Seth did his own thing and I liked it.

OMG, Life of Psy on Kimmel!

Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar

I'll catch Kimmel in the morning, looking forward to it.

WOW! First time I've enjoyed the Oscar show from start to finish in many, many years. I almost didn't watch because I didn't want to be embarrassed by the humor, but Seth and the writers took the self-deprecating approach and slammed it home. There were moments I cringed (Ted the Bear) though Seth did admit that his one film was in Red Boxes and urinated on by drunks.

My favorite comedy bit was the Von Trapp Family non-entrance - I laughed with the surprise of it. Then Christopher Plummer comes out to "Sound of Music" and makes a deprecating remark about it, but then he's made no bones that he is sick of the constant reference to that film.

I loved the music threads throughout the show and the opening bit with Shatner and then the actors coming out singing and dancing with Seth...was this the Tony awards?

"And now a woman who needs no introduction." (He didn't and she doesn't - Meryl Streep)

Wasn't it fascinating that for all that live music all show long, the orchestra was playing in the RCA building down the street and not in the theatre? The direction on cues and singers hearing the music must have been a tour de force. The cast singing the mash up for Les Mis was so gorgeous I got goosebumps; the same when Barbra entered from the back of the stage humming Memories before reaching the front to sing it. I thought the Memory section was very tasteful this year.

I Love Seth as a Host. The final (Shatner) headline got it right.
    NCLurker likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Academy Awards 2013

Thrilled with the Oscars tonight and Seth was my favorite Oscar host in a VERY long time.

The Jimmy Kimmel show as great. I keep hearing song at end going around in my head.
    NCLurker likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread