+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By PWS
  • 1 Post By PhoneGrrrl

Thread: Side Effects

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Side Effects

I was interested in this movie primarily because I have dealt with SEVERE side effects from medications - including several of the SSRI medications mentioned in the movie. So I went in there thinking it was going to be a movie about side effects, potential lawsuits, etc. It wasn't.

After the primary set-up, the plot takes a sharp turn. I won't say more because it's a pretty good story and I don't want to spoil it for anyone who's going to see it.

We did enjoy seeing Rooney Mara, as we really enjoyed "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and wanted to see her in something totally different. We would not have known it was the same actress unless we were aware of it ahead of time. She looks and sounds totally different. She even smiles occasionally!

We rated it a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Side Effects

After seeing Dragon it's hard to believe she can smile!
    AZChristian likes this.

I looked her up on IMDB. Both of her grandfathers (Art Rooney and Frank Mara) were involved in owning and/or managing the New York Giants football team. The girl comes from some serious money!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw it this morning and I'm still not sure what I think about it. I knew it was more of a mystery movie from the reviews I read, so that didn't surprise me. The credibility of some of the "twists" especially toward the end, and the one scene in particular with Catherine Zeta Jones and Rooney Mara in CZJ's office, just seemed beyond the pale. Some of that may have to do with CZJ's weird performance; she was the weak link in the whole cast IMO.

I agree, PhoneGrrrl. I could have done without seeing as much detail as was shown. And I also agree about CZJ.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

As regards the scene I mentioned above,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it wasn't so much how much detail was shown with the make out session, but I just didn't believe it read as "real"...the whole lesbian angle just seemed out of left field, and like a poorly acted Law & Order episode.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I looked her up on IMDB. Both of her grandfathers (Art Rooney and Frank Mara) were involved in owning and/or managing the New York Giants football team. The girl comes from some serious money!
    And the Pittsburgh Steelers were established by the Rooneys as well

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I saw it this morning and I'm still not sure what I think about it. I knew it was more of a mystery movie from the reviews I read, so that didn't surprise me. The credibility of some of the "twists" especially toward the end, and the one scene in particular with Catherine Zeta Jones and Rooney Mara in CZJ's office, just seemed beyond the pale. Some of that may have to do with CZJ's weird performance; she was the weak link in the whole cast IMO.
    But, wasn't that the whole driving point of the movie. I mean if not for that, there would have been no first or second act.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Perhaps, I muddied the waters, but here's the scoop. Tim Mara founded the New York Giants, Art Rooney founded the Pittsburgh Steelers. Both men are her great grandfathers.

+ Reply to Thread