+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie star or genre and why.

Favorite movie star or genre and why.

I thought maybe we could share one of our favorites.

One of mine in Barbara Stanwyck. In her day she showed so much versitility. The devoted, self-sacrificing mother in the original Stella Dallas. She was in a couple of comedies "The Lady Eve" and "Christmas in Connecticut". Stanwyck could play the victim "Sorry, Wrong Number" and also be the femme fatale in "Double Jeopardy" and so many other examples. I BELIEVED her in whatever role she played and am glad she was able to show her talents and not be pigeon holed into only one type of character.

Your turn!

FORT Fogey
    There are so many but I picked Jean Reno out of a hat for purposes of this thread.

Jean Reno is an amazing actor and so versatile. He's comedic, sympathetic and can be cold as steel all in one role or many.

He's teamed up with director Luc Besson in two of my favorite movies: The Big Blue and The Professional/Leon.

In each, his character portrayal is unforgettable. He's also done slapstick and melodrama.

Jean Reno

I just saw The Professional on Bravo last night. Sweet guy. Kind of lost and helpless on one hand, but it's the other hand your better watch out for!
    Someone else told me that Leon was the director's cut of The Professional, which went into their loving relationship. I never saw it, but think it should have been kept in. (I'm not one for editing or censorship, unless children will see it during family hour). The director had a vision and others fulfilled it. I want to see what their full intention was and to better understand the character.

I also saw the French version of La Femme Nikita (?) where he was the hit man who was going to take out the hit girl--menacing guy.

I'll have to look up what other movies he was in. (Why are accents, ie. French so damn sexy?)

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    Cary Grant has to be my all time favorite actor. There wasn't anything he couldn't do and he made it all look so easy. It's too bad he was too old to do the James Bond movies. He would have been great. And to think he started out as an acrobat.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Gracie, I didn't know he started out as an acrobat. I guess that explains his athleticism in Holiday (?)with Katherine Hepburn.

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    You can tell from most of the movies he made just how graceful he could be. Burt Lancaster also started out that way only I think he was in the circus.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

Tom Hanks....I just love to watch him. He seems to be able to play any part and make you believe it. Plus I like his voice. and his smile.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

From the first movie that I saw him in (School Ties), I immediately fell in love with Brendan Fraser's voice and his hands! Yeah, sure he has been in some not so fabulous movies (Encino Man), but he has also shown his talent in movies such as Gods and Monsters. Being an extremely versitile actor,I have been able to enjoy his work in all kinds of genres, including family, comedy, drama and action (Love The Mummy!). Of course, he isn't that bad to look at either! Keep 'em coming Brendan.
    I Brendan Fraser

Well, someone stole my all time favorite, Cary Grant (did you see the A&E Biography on him last week? Good show!), and I'd have to say my current favorite is Tom Hanks, which was also mentioned.

As such, I'm going with my favorite UNDERRATED actor, Ed Harris. I think he is clearly one of the world's best and can seamlessly blend into any role, whether it be the leading man, steal-the-movie supporting actor or bit part. Plus, I have always thought he was HOT!! (Amy Madigan doesn't know how lucky she is!)

As for actress, I'm a huge fan of Katharine Hepburn. She is riveting on screen, in everything I've seen her in. The Philadelphia Story is one of my favorites and I am in awe watching her perform in that movie. (Plus, she got to kiss Cary Grant!!)
    It's over for this season but PLEASE give us more of
    THE AMAZING RACE!!!
    Please Please Please CBS - give us TAR5!!!!!!!
    I The Amazing R A C E !

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I'm so obsessed with Adrien Brody.

To me, every movie he acted in was is wonderful. So passionate, very intense.

I saw him in Harrison's Flowers and the Pianist. However, I got totally fanatical after he received an award during the Oscars.

The black suit he wore was a killer. I was mesmerised.

You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast