+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie star or genre and why.

Tom Hanks, Nicolas Cage, and Jack Nicholson are probably my favorite 3. They are the only ones I can think of that I would go see a movie, knowing almost nothing about it simply because they are in it. I donít think Tom Hanks is capable of making a bad movie. Ok, maybe bachelor party, but that was a long time ago.
    I also think Christopher Walken is incredible. To me the sign of a GREAT actor is when youíve seen them a hundred times in different roles, but while watching the movie, you only see the character, not the actor. This is especially difficult when you have a real unique voice or timing like Walken and Jack.
    Mike Myers and Jim Carey are my favorite comedic actors. I think Jim did a great job in The Truman Show and The Majestic for serious roles.
    I donít really have any favorite actresses. There are many that I like, but none that I would go see a movie of theirs simply because theyíre in it.
    There are several I canít stand though. I am not a big Julia Roberts fan, and personally I donít think Rene Zellweger can act at all.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

MHayes62, have you ever watched Birdy with Nicolas Cage and Matthew Modine?

Birdy was a great movie. I like Mathew Modine. and the score by Peter Gabriel was perfect. I haven't thought about that movie in ages. That was mid 80's if i remember correctly, i was just getting out of high school when i saw it. profoundly moving.
    Last edited by MHayes62; 11-24-2003 at 04:58 PM.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

My favorite actor is Tom Hanks. I always thought he was hilarious in "Bosom Buddies" and even in his not so great movies, he still puts in a fine performance. I was blown away by his performance in "Saving Private Ryan".

I was fortuneate one day to share a table with him at a Starbucks in Seattle when he was there filming "Sleepless In Seattle". It was just next door to the Westlake Shopping Mall. He was sitting alone and there was nowhere else to sit so I asked if I could share the table with him. I didn't recognize him at first until I sat and got settled. Wow, I was shocked. I wanted to talk to him without being the stereotypical fan, so we just talked about how nice Seattle was and that I was new to the area. It was a normal conversation and we talked for about 10-15 minutes. He was very polite and funny and seemed to actually care what I had to say. Not once did we ever talk about who he was. He thanked me for talking about everyday things and not the usual celebrity crap. I felt bad for him when he got up cause as he walked out, he must've signed about 30 autographs. And so ends my only brush with fame.....

Tom Hanks thanked Speedbump for the conversation!

I'd have to go with Scott Glenn. Some of his best are:

Urban Cowboy
    The Right Stuff
    Silverado
    The Hunt for Red October
    My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys
    Silence of the Lambs

He's been in some real stinkers too. Guess he just loves the work.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Based on pure acting ability, let me submit Paul Newman. Fantastic performances in, among other things, The Color of Money, The Hustler, Nobody's Fool.

I recently saw, for the first time, Cat on a Hot Tin Roofwith Newman and young/beautiful Elizabeth Taylor. It was the best kind of movie--the kind you leave on for five minutes because there's nothing else on at 10 am on a Saturday morning, and two hours later, you're still riveted to the TV. Fantastic! I understood, at last, what made Elizabeth Taylor such a huge star back in her day--she was beautiful and talented.

As for Newman, now thatwas a fine piece of acting.

With the exception of Pacino as Michael Corleone, I don't think I've seen such a fine performance before or since.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

jennifer connelly and ian mckellen

What genre would a movie like Requiem for a Dream fall under? That movie is one of my favorites. Are there any more like it? (I've already seen Pi).

My favorite right now is Jullianne Moore, I loved her in The End of the Affair, Magnolia, Boogie Nights and The Hours, she's just a great actress that can play anything. The only thing she's done that I didn't like was Hannibal,that charactor in my mind is Jodie Foster's so I can't really hold it against her. I like old Bette Davis movies, especially Mrs. Skeffington and Now, Voyageur, and Joan Croawford in MildredPierce ( I had two daughters, Vida and Kay) Vida your cheap and horrible get out, get out!,) Barbara Stanwyck is great, probably the best of that generation, Joan and Bette were always kind of camp so I laugh more at their movies, but Barbara was real. I also really like Marilyn Munroe in Some Like it Hot and Gentelmen prefer Blondes. Meryl Streep is amazing, I know her star has faded somewhat, but I've loved everthing she's done. For male stars I like Liev Schreiber, I'm not sure why, but he has something about him. Ellen Burstyn in The Last Picture Show and Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, I wasn't crazy about Requiem for a Dream, but Ellen was fantastic as usual. Also, Anne Reinkling in Annie, I thought she'd become a major star after that, but career kind of fizzled. Maybe Trainspotting and High Art, both movies that have drugs as a central theme, Eldee, though I don't know if any of those movies could soley be termed druggie movies.
    Last edited by Lotuslander; 06-06-2004 at 02:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast