+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Favorite movie star or genre and why.

DD, I like your Jean Reno nomination. He really is great to watch no matter what the genre. I really feel that way about Tim Roth too.

Tim Roth is an amazing actor. He has played so many dazzling characters and has an astonishing ability to play both sympathetic characters and non-sympathetic characters. That impresses me.

Some of my favorite Tim Roth performances?
    Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
    Reservoir Dogs
    Captives
    Little Odessa
    Pulp Fiction
    No Way Home
    The Legend of 1900
    Hoodlum
    Deceiver
    The Musketeer

Sometimes I wonder if Edward Norton will be able to match his talent in 10 years. That wouldn't altogether surprise me. He's pretty damn good too.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I have always adored Bette Davis. Some of her stuff is total cheese, but she always seemed to make the material work for her. Her portrayal of Jane Hudson in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? is both shameless and brilliant. Plus...she got to kick the patooties out of Joan Crawford, which I'm sure made her happy as hell.

Another big favorite...hence the av...is The Marx Brothers, Harpo in particular. Anyone who loves them should definitely read his bio, Harpo Speaks! It's a big book, but soooo worth the read-- check out the reviews on Amazon!

Film noir is one of my favorites. The style is dark: usually filmed at night and usually has rain or fog. There is usually the same characters of the femme fatale, fall guy, the detective, virtuous woman, victim, etc. The movie standards in Noirs hayday required the bad guy or woman to always be punished at the end. Many recurring shots include: shadows, mirrors, stripes, etc.

Some classics are: The Maltese Falcon, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce, They Drive By Night, etc.

There is no way I can pick just one...

While Hugh Jackman is my avatar, it is more that I am totally in lust with him rather than thinking he is the greatest actor ever. However, he is a fine actor.

I think Gary Oldman is an amazing actor. He is a total chameleon, different in every movie. He also was in the Professional with Jean Reno, who I also like. Did you realize that was Natalie Portman (from the new Star Wars movies) playing the little girl? I like her alot and think she will have a long career, because she is more than just a "teen actor".
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Hi OneTVSlave, pick as many as you want and share it!

I agree about Gary Oldman. I wasn't crazy about Lost in Space, but he was the best one there. Good in Dracula and some movie when he was younger about a guy who was writing a book about the Beatles (maybe you know the name). The Professional was my favorite of him! It kind of makes you rethink who would be listening to classical music.

eldee,

Don't know the Beatles one. He was totally evil in the Professional (awesome!). In True Romance, he was this freaky dreadlock guy, and then he also played Beethoven in Immortal Beloved. I just love the versatility! That, IMO, is what makes a great actor. For the same reason I can't stand Meg Ryan, and could take or leave Julia Roberts. Same pretty, cutesy girls in every movie . But Cate Blanchett, for example, is pretty also, but always different. She gets from me.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I found it, it's called Perk Up Your Ears

Description from the Net

This witty and moving portrait of Britain's daring and rebellious playwright, Joe Orton, is based on the true story of the tragic murder-suicide of Orton, at the hands of his long-term lover, Ken Haliwell, in the 1960s and the subsequent biography of the same name by New York drama critic John Lahr. PRICK UP YOUR EARS, skillfully directed by Stephen Frears, traces the outrageous life of the famed playwright, portrayed by Gary Oldman. Told through a series of flashbacks, the John Lahr character (Wallace Shawn) interviews Orton's literary agent (Vanessa Redgrave) and others, while weaving the memories and flashbacks from Orton's diaries into a cohesive biography, beginning and ending with the grisly murder. Escaping his lower class upbringing, Orton teamed up with an older ambitious writer, Ken Halliwell (Alfred Molina) at England's Royal Academy of Drama. But after years of close collaboration Orton took a chance and broke out on his own--skyrocketing to fame and fortune with such theatrical hits as LOOT and WHAT THE BUTLER SAW. Orton gregariously charmed Britain's press and theatre-going public, while living an illegal and sexually daring lifestyle. However, the competition and emotional rivalry between Halliwell and Orton took a toll on the lonely unsuccessful confidant. Dejected, in the shadows, and seething with jealousy, Halliwell finally cracked. Abruptly, tragically, he hammered Joe Orton to death in 1967 and took his own life immediately following the murder.

Sounds interesting, eldee. I'll have to check it out. Alfred Molina is good, too. I thought he was wonderful in Frida.
    - Albert Einstein

Eldee, I also love Barbara Stanwyk !

And if we're going back then, I'd also say I love Joan Fontaine , what a beauty, and what an actress. Loved "Rebecca" and "Suspicion" . Great, great, movies.

Modern day actress I really like: Cate Blanchett. Love her in "Elizabeth"

I also really like Gwynneth Paltrow.

I love Cary Grant, and Henry Fonda, and Laurence Olivier, and many others.

Favorite current actor? Jude Law . He's great in everything he does.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Shazzer,

Jude Law

He belongs in the Hottest Men thread, fo' sho!
    - Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast