+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Linings Playbook

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Silver Linings Playbook

I think this now has Oscar nominations in just about all, if not all, the major categories. I have to admit the description, of a bipolar man trying to get his act back together without meds, his OCD dad, his sexually acting out/depressive female friend, his best male friend, a fellow mental patient....didn't exactly drag me to the theater, but it's actually very funny, heartwarming, and all that. A definite feel good movie, date movie, something you could take older teens to....
    My only caveat was that it was very explicit about how psychotropic drugs can make you feel...flat, emotionless, etc., in a way that might discourage people who really need chemical help from getting it. You get the impression from the film that a lot of physical exercise could work just as well.... Maybe for some, but probably not for all...and of course not everyone off their meds would be so determined to maintain an even keel without them.

Re: Silver linings playbook

I saw Silver Linings Playbook about a week ago. I went alone and loved the movie on a number of levels. The problem with going alone is there is no one to talk to about it afterward! The acting was superb, the storyline sounds ridiculous but plays out well. I know someone who reminded me of Pat, the male lead played by Bradley Cooper. The other characters were believable as well. I don't want to give much away about this film, so go see it if you think you would like a story that has a bipolar man, Philadelphia Eagles fandom, and a dancing contest all rolled into a small town setting.

Silver Linings Playbook

The acting and the movie itself were superb - I saw it today. I didn't find as amusing as I have two people in my family who are bipolar and gone both the non-medicated and very medicated route. I was crying while others were laughing. I think it deserves the rave reviews it is getting.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Re: Silver Linings Playbook

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I think this now has Oscar nominations in just about all, if not all, the major categories. I have to admit the description, of a bipolar man trying to get his act back together without meds, his OCD dad, his sexually acting out/depressive female friend, his best male friend, a fellow mental patient....didn't exactly drag me to the theater, but it's actually very funny, heartwarming, and all that. A definite feel good movie, date movie, something you could take older teens to....
    My only caveat was that it was very explicit about how psychotropic drugs can make you feel...flat, emotionless, etc., in a way that might discourage people who really need chemical help from getting it. You get the impression from the film that a lot of physical exercise could work just as well.... Maybe for some, but probably not for all...and of course not everyone off their meds would be so determined to maintain an even keel without them.
    Pat does end up with some acceptance of meds eventually...to me it showed how disastrous being bipolar without drugs can be for the most well intentioned person. And the open discussion of what a bummer so many of those meds can be shows that dispensing medication for mental illness is somewhat of a fine art mixed with science. Some drugs just don't work for individual people.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yeah, he seemed to be taking some drugs at one point when he was home with his family, but given his earlier behavior I wasn't clear if he really took them...and for how long... they didn't come up again that I saw. He certainly seemed to be strugglilng without them.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Yeah, he seemed to be taking some drugs at one point when he was home with his family, but given his earlier behavior I wasn't clear if he really took them...and for how long... they didn't come up again that I saw. He certainly seemed to be strugglilng without them.
    I guess I would have to watch it again, but my impression was that he ended up taking them and sticking with it. I think struggling might be an understatement?

It was great to see Jennifer Lawrence win a SAG award tonight for her role.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Was she in things before Hunger Games? She certainly has shot to the top in the last year.

FORT Fogey

The first really big thing Jennifer Lawrence was recognized for was Winter's Bone. She got an Oscar nomination for that, and was the "little known actress in a little known film" who generated some buzz before Hunger Games. I think she's a talented actress who has been managing her career really smart. I remember her first Oscar nomination because of hte dress she wore. It was a stunning red dress that fit her perfectly. I had not heard of the movie, and I can't remember who won the Oscar that year, but seem to recall it was rather known the winner would get it, and the other nominees were just showing up to look nice. Jennifer used the occasion to stand out and made several best dressed lists, even though most people didn't know who she was. She seems to be staying true to who she is. She's not resorting to stunts like partying, doing "peep shows" getting out of cars, dating high profile people, etc to promote her career. She's subtle in the ways she ensures she gets some attention at events, does good work, and she's benefitting from it. I also like that she's not playing into the whole "must be skinny, must be perfect" Hollywood game.

She was in X-Men: First Class
    Raven / Mystique
    in 2011.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

She may not be skinny but she has a great body--extremely flexible waist! Shown off to perfection in the dance scenes--that alone should get the guys to what otherwise might be called a chick flick!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast