+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Les Miserables

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Les Miserables

Saw it Christmas morning. The theater was packed, and there were over 100 people waiting in line for the next showing when we left the theater. They will not be disappointed.

It was AWESOME!

I knew I would love it, but when we left the theater, my hubby said, "Do we have to stick to our 1-10 rating scale?" We gave it an 11.

If you go, take tissues. LOTS of tissues.

Re: Les Miserables

I am not a big fan of Les Mes because I just don't want to see people be so miserable to people. That being said on the radio yesterday I heard this reporter asking this movie critic why do they show movies with so much violence and despair over the Christmas Holidays especially consisting the shootings recently at NewTown Conn. I know they toned down the Hollywood premieres of Django Unchained and Jack Reacher because of the shootings.

Any comments or opinions?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

My viewpoint was really different from yours, Bearcata. I saw a beautiful story of people being kind and loving to each other in the face of many challenges - political, romantic, financial, familial. Les Miserables was full of redemption themes. There was much sadness as well, as in all of the people who died in the revolution scene, and Fantine's death. But even in those scenes, there were heroes and good guys, and they won out.

I'm reading the book right now for the first time. I'll enjoy comparing the screen version to the original story. And in 2014, we're going to visit Guernsey, where Victor Hugo lived and wrote for many years, and we plan to tour his house. I'm looking forward to it even more now.

I saw the theater production and went, expecting not to like it. Instead, after 5 minutes was enthrolled. As AZChristian said, it is about redemption and love and kindness. Yes, there is also hate and violence, but the good stuff far outweighs the bad. I am so looking forward to seeing the movie.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I started with the book many years ago. I've seen a couple of versions of the Broadway show and a few of the movies. Some of the films are very old, others are new, and still others are somewhere in between. Hugo's novel is considered one of the greatest of all times and I concur. First published less than 100 years after the French Revolution, Les Miserable and Dickens' A Tale of Two Cities are the two novels that transported me to that time and place.

Haven't yet seen this version, but it's on my list.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

After seeing at the theater 4 times, it could be more. We saw the movie last night.

I highly recommend it, we enjoyed it very much. I cannot wait for the DVD. Hugh Jackson was terrific
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

CCL

Man, Fanny Mare, I thought you meant you had seen it at the movie theatre four times since it opened yesterday! .
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hugh Jackman is not how I picture Valjean (not bulky enough) and I've heard mixed reviews of Russell Crowe but I'm sure I will like it over all. Plus I'm looking forward to Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Man, Fanny Mare, I thought you meant you had seen it at the movie theatre four times since it opened yesterday! .
    I'm looking forward to seeing it. Hugh Jackman is not how I picture Valjean (not bulky enough) and I've heard mixed reviews of Russell Crowe but I'm sure I will like it over all. Plus I'm looking forward to Colm Wilkinson as the Bishop.

I have seen various people do Valjean etc. I just think live theatre is very different.Russell Crowe grows on you- he did us.

We really enjoyed seeing Colm Wilkinson
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I enjoyed the movie, it started out slow, but I was soon caught up in the show. One of the women I went with cried through the whole show. I was very shocked at how well Russell Crowe could sing.
    There's no place like home!

Russell Crowe has had his own band since the '80's and he's done several musical theater shows in Australia. The only venue in which I think he hasn't sung is U.S. films. I hope we'll see some of that in the future.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast