+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Les Miserables

Re: Les Miserables

After recently being burned by the musical Anna Karenina, I was skeptical about another 2012 style musical production. What a wonderful surprise... Les Mis was nicely done, great acting and singing, just the very best. It's a Must See
    AZChristian likes this.
    "Not my circus. Not my monkeys"
    ~~ Old Polish Proverb ~~

Keep an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out. Carl Sagan.

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Just saw Les Miserables for the second time. I think I cried more this time - which is saying a lot.

And in keeping with my New Years Resolution to try to be more patient, I did NOT turn around and yell at the two middle-aged couples behind me, "Could you please SHUT UP?" I just got up and moved to a deserted section of the theater.

I guess I am one of the few that didn't think it was wonderful. It was okay, I did bawl like a baby at the end. I didn't like Russell Crowe's singing, but he played the part very well. Hugh Jackman is just nice to look at.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

Maybe we should chug on over to namby pamby land where we can find some self confidence for you, you jackwagon!

^i agree

I liked it, i didn't love, it doesn't seem like these musicals translate as well on the screen, and the singing lacks when you bring in celebrities, though i thought Amanda S. was pretty good

however, one nice thing about having it on the screen was that it was easier to follow, my one friend had never seen the musical, i thought she'd be confused but she said she was able to follow it fine

I thought the movie was well done, for the most part. The "Master of the House" scene could have been done better, I think. When I saw Les Mis live, that scene was great comic relief, but in the movie it was too chaotic and some of the words of the song were unintelligable. Instead of the roars of laughter that I heard in the live production, there were just a few quiet snickers. Still, I enjoyed it very much.
    Florimel and AZChristian like this.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend...never owned a dog.

I've seen the movie twice. Because I'm retired and have time, I'm probably going to go see it again today (tissues are ready!).

I agree on "Master of the House." It's my least favorite part of the movie. If I need to take a potty break, that's when I'll go.

FORT Fogey

I got the feeling that the director made a decision to acknowledge the side stories / entertainment aspects of the musical, but to keep the focus on the main stories. I noticed that with both Castle on a Cloud and Little People, the songs made the movie, but they cut them short. I thought that may have been done because those kinds of numbers are needed and expected in the theater, but are not a tool used as much in movies.

Just saw it for the THIRD time. Still loving it.

But this time, two women got up and LEFT THE THEATER about 10 minutes from the end (when Jean Valjean is sitting in a chair at the convent/hospital). Really? You leave and miss the BEST scene of the entire movie?

I saw it for the first time in any format and just have one question... why was the enforcer character so obsessed with him? HE STOLE A LOAF OF BREAD!!???? Surely there were criminals with more heinous crimes to go after. Loved the music.
    Count your blessings!

CCL

Plus he tried to escape. But probably more because Valjean still had some self-pride and didn't repent his crime. He wasn't utterly broken down like he, a wretched prisoner should be, cowering in the face of authority. That was in the beginning (before he was let out of prison) so Javert didn't like him from the start. Afterwards, he (Valjean) broke parole and assumed another identity, once again flouting the law that Javert had vowed to uphold (and the following of which, indeed, was bound up in Javert's whole identity [see the song Stars]). Javert couldn't let that go.
    Last edited by CCL; 01-10-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast