+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trying to find an old movie

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Trying to find an old movie

When my sister and I were younger (this was probably in the late 1970's, possibly early 1980's), I remember staying up late and watching old movies, things like Tarantula, The Birds, The Body Snatchers, etc.

One movie had a part that really intrigued me What I remember of the movie might be wrong or combined parts from different movies but I'll tell it as I remember it. I thought it was called The Cat and the Canary. I recall it being a spy movie. The part I remember had a girl going through a maze dressed in yellow (she was the canary) and she was being pursued by two men in red (the cats). Someone else (a girl, I think) was leading her through the maze to help her avoid the cats. She could see her friend and the cats on a monitor as red and yellow dots in the maze.

I have looked and looked and looked and can't find a movie with that description! There are movies called the Cat and Canary but the description don't sound like the movie I saw. It wasn't black and white and I don't recall it being a comedy.

If anyone remembers what this movie is, I'd like to know the title so I can possibly see it again. I wish I could remember more of the movie but that was the main part I recalled.

I thought I remembered there being a part where they made a bomb of chewing gum and other stuff but that might be from another movie.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

Re: Trying to find an old movie

I've still been looking and found a decription someone else posted, looking for the same thing! Maybe a bit more information will help trigger someone's memory.

my moviefu is helpless! - rogermoore? stumped | Ask MetaFilter

I'm stumped... and I'm usually good at these things.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

I'm usually good at this type of things, too and I'm equally stumped. It's not a film I ever saw and all I could find on imdb is The Cat and the Canary (1978) - IMDb which was made in 1979.

I don't think it's what you're looking for, but it has such a great cast, I thought I'd post the link.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Pickachu, could it maybe have been a TV movie, like on an "ABC Movie of the Week" or something like that? Remember how they used to air all those made for TV movies back in the 70's? There were two that were driving me crazy trying to remember, too. One was about a plane full of passengers that crash landed on what seemed an idyllic island...until they realized it wasn't quite paradise. Turned out they were all really dead and were in purgatory. It was called "Haunts of the Very Rich." But, the reason I bring it up is if you go to W*k* (am I allowed to just name it?) and search "ABC Movie of the Week" you'll find a complete list of all those TV movies they aired. There are lot's of them, and some have links to more info about the individual movies. Anyway, that's how I rediscovered "Haunts of the Very Rich"....maybe you'll run across a title that triggers your memory Good luck!!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Katydyd: Honestly, I don't remember if it was a movie or a tv show or what. I'm glad I found another site where someone else was looking for it so I knew I wasn't crazy or dreaming it up! I think I need to check out the 1979 version of the Cat and the Canary, plus some of the tv shows people mentioned at the site I found. I've been looking for this for years and would like to see it again.

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

I remember those ABC Movies of the Week. Some were quite good. Best of luck in your search. I've been trying to find a DVD/Video version of the PBS musical entry for "Shop Around the Corner" with Glynnis Johns. It's somewhere in the PBS vault and I wish they would dust it off.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I can't believe it, I finally found it!!!

I tried doing a Google search for "yellow catsuit" and there was a movie listing for "Once Upon a Spy" from 1980. I found a clip on YouTube and this is it!

Mary Louise Weller Once upon a spy - YouTube

I'm so excited to find it after all these years of searching.
    Last edited by pikachu; 11-28-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Glad you found it pikachu! Ted Danson's full head of hair gave me a chuckle.

That looks like a fun watch, pikachu. Cast includes Christopher Lee and Eleanor Partker, too. Now that you found the title, I went looking and found it listed on tcm.com, so I'll tray to watch for it on Turner Classic Movies.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast