+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Trying to find an old movie

Re: Trying to find an old movie

Pikachu, what a fun thread to read! I had nothing to help you with, but it is interesting how all of you trying to help worked out the search process. I hope some people add movies they are looking for to this thread.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

I agree, Cootie! I'll be glad to help anyone find movies they're looking for. Post anything you remember about it and maybe the forum members can help you locate it!!

Pikachu I'm glad you found your movie!! I did some digging to see if I could find out some more about the movie...turns out I wasn't far off at all with the ABC TV movie thing! I found this advertisement for the movie:

spy.jpg

I kinda miss the days when we didn't have 500 different channels to watch...those TV movies were really a treat when they came on. Do any of you guys remember that one "Sooner or Later" with Rex Smith and the girl from "Fish"? That was back in the late 70's I think. I swear I remember going back to school and all the girls in my class were talking about it - it was totally uncool if you missed it
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Katydid, I don't recall ever seeing Sooner or Later, but I remember Rex Smith mostly for 1) Heading for Broadway, a film about young singers and dancers trying to get into musical theater, and 2) as Frederick in the film version of Pirates of Penzance with Kevin Kline as one of the best pirate kings I've ever seen. They both did a version of it live in Central Park with Patricia Routledge (Hyacinth Bucket) as Ruth. I got that dvd from Amazon.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Florimel, "Sooner or Later" was great...made my little 14 year old heart go all a flutter. It was about a 13 year old girl, Jessie, who gets a crush on her 17 year old guitar teacher, who also sings in a band. When it turns out he likes her too, she lies and says she's 16. She even pretends to go to the local Catholic High school to explain why she doesn't go to school with him. Of course he eventually finds out - but after just the right amount of teen angst, he decides he really likes her, and he agrees to try dating "the real her", and he promises to take it slow. Because after all, in a few months she'll be 14..... That movie made Rex Smith a Tiger Beat heart throb There was even an album, and "You Take My Breath Away" and "Simply Jessie" were on the radio (AM of course ) for a bit.

5813.jpg
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

I remember Sooner or Later quite well. Very good recap Katydyd. It was kind of dopey, but fun. A movie teens would enjoy.
    For some reason, I thought it was Leif Garrett who played the young guy lead. Maybe it's the hair. They both had the same style & are about the same age.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

And yet,,,, if my 13 year old wanted to date a 17 year old I'd freak...yeah, soon she'll be 14...and he'll be 18...that's probably illegal in a lot of states!

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Florimel, "Sooner or Later" was great...made my little 14 year old heart go all a flutter. It was about a 13 year old girl, Jessie, who gets a crush on her 17 year old guitar teacher, who also sings in a band. When it turns out he likes her too, she lies and says she's 16. She even pretends to go to the local Catholic High school to explain why she doesn't go to school with him. Of course he eventually finds out - but after just the right amount of teen angst, he decides he really likes her, and he agrees to try dating "the real her", and he promises to take it slow. Because after all, in a few months she'll be 14..... That movie made Rex Smith a Tiger Beat heart throb There was even an album, and "You Take My Breath Away" and "Simply Jessie" were on the radio (AM of course ) for a bit.

Attachment 28754
    Bwahaha...I thought I was the only person left who remembered that movie! I had the poster, the album, and the book. I was 12 when that movie came out and omg, I thought it was the romance of the century - I wanted to be Jessie so bad I could have killed her. She went to the mall for a makeup application and she thought that's what made her look 16, remember?

I followed Rex Smith for a while. He was a host on Solid Gold for a short time - used to rush to the TV Saturday afternoons to watch that.
    Katydyd likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

It's funny how such a silly little TV movie can be well remembered by so many of us. We were all dreamy eyed teens at one point, & this movie apparently hit all of us then.

It makes me wonder what silly little long forgotten movies stuck with my daughter.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I'm reading Ender's Game for the first time ahead of watching the movie on DVD. Bad move as experienced by Under the Dome, but there you are. While reading, I ran across the name Bean which made a synaptic connection in my brain to a TV movie about a space war.

I checked Netflix for a title inserting Ender's War and nothing came up...their computer's synapses do not work like mine, I guess. It's like a little irritating nugget pinging around in my skull. Does anyone remember a space war movie with a child character named Bean?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast