+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AJane

Thread: World War Z

  1. #1
    Loving the FORT! 2boysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    41
    Posts
    416

    World War Z

    I just watch the trailer for the movie online and I'm not sure how I feel about it. I loved the book- read it twice in the same year- but it is very obvious from the movie trailer that it deviates from the book in some key areas. I will go see it when it is released in June 2013, but I am very weary of this film adaptation! I'm sure that since it stars Brad Pitt, it will receive enough buzz to make it, but I loved the book!

  2. #2
    Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,266

    Re: World War Z

    What is the storyline in the book, and how do you think the movie will deviate from it?
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  3. #3
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,929

    Re: World War Z

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    What is the storyline in the book, and how do you think the movie will deviate from it?
    Its been a couple of years since I read it, it was our book club selection and was well received....the book is basically about this man who goes around interviewing survivors of the zombie war, from its beginnings to its end. The trailer seems to show a typical "family in trouble" during a zombie apocalypse. This was not part of the book. Pitt's character doesn't really have a back story as far as I remember. His character should be the interviewer, in the movie he is a UN researcher. The power of the book comes from the interviews of so many different people from all over the world, civilians, military, scientists etc.... I will say though the zombie horde swarming like ants was very effective! Yikes! Scary!

    I will probably see it but go into it as a zombie movie not a WWZ adaptation.
    Last edited by libgirl2; 11-09-2012 at 09:51 AM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

  4. #4
    Anarchist AJane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Charming
    Posts
    9,355

    Re: World War Z

    Yeah, it looks nothing like the book, but it does look like zombies are finally getting the full action blockbuster treatment. Although I kind of have mixed feelings about that, the movie looks like it might be pretty kickass. Great trailer. I might have preferred Bruce Campbell in the Brad Pitt role.
    libgirl2 likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

  5. #5
    Time to Come Back, Boys Arielflies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    With My Thoughts
    Posts
    20,266

    Re: World War Z

    I thought Nephalim rather than Zombies were taking over popular fiction from Vampires. I have had my fill of vampires and I just can't do zombies. That zombie virus movie (28 Days??) of a few years back was enough for me.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

  6. #6
    Read The Clue Bearcata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Edge of the Beltway
    Posts
    15,864

    Re: World War Z

    Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies View Post
    I thought Nephalim rather than Zombies were taking over popular fiction from Vampires. I have had my fill of vampires and I just can't do zombies. That zombie virus movie (28 Days??) of a few years back was enough for me.

    I think it was first Werewolves then shifters of various kinds to angels/nephalim to demons and now it is a various mix with zombies still being a bit of a sub genre.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

  7. #7
    Loving the FORT! 2boysmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    41
    Posts
    416

    Re: World War Z

    Libgirl, That's the biggest part of why it doesn't look like the movie will be true to the book. I would add though, that the book is set 10 years after the zombie problem has been contained (not eradicated). The story is woven together to explain how the outbreak, discovery, almost complete human decimation, the containment, and life after the outbreak occurred. I was so intrigued by the format of this book, not just the story itself! Of course, I think that would have made a more complicated movie, but it is the true essence of the book. I especially liked how the narrating characters showed up in multiple places in the book- especially those whose lives crossed paths, and they didn't know it, only the researcher did! The first time I read it, I didn't get many of the references, because it was so shocking, but the second time, I enjoyed putting some of those things together!

  8. #8
    FORT Fogey libgirl2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,929

    Re: World War Z

    Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    Libgirl, That's the biggest part of why it doesn't look like the movie will be true to the book. I would add though, that the book is set 10 years after the zombie problem has been contained (not eradicated). The story is woven together to explain how the outbreak, discovery, almost complete human decimation, the containment, and life after the outbreak occurred. I was so intrigued by the format of this book, not just the story itself! Of course, I think that would have made a more complicated movie, but it is the true essence of the book. I especially liked how the narrating characters showed up in multiple places in the book- especially those whose lives crossed paths, and they didn't know it, only the researcher did! The first time I read it, I didn't get many of the references, because it was so shocking, but the second time, I enjoyed putting some of those things together!
    I know what you mean. The book is so complex, but that is what people love about it. I think each story appeals to particular readers... there were several I just took to heart, while others were interesting but not quite as effective for me. It really was like it had been written by several people.

    I wonder if the movie will be part of a trilogy (which I have heard whispers of)?
    Last edited by libgirl2; 11-15-2012 at 12:02 PM.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.