+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Reacher novels starring Tom Cruise!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Reacher novels starring Tom Cruise!

I love these novels, but Tom Cruise is totally wrong for this role, which, according to imdb, is happening. Reacher's height and build...6'5" or so and muscular, are a big part of how he can function as he does. Tom Selleck could have played him, but not a shrimp like Cruise.

FORT Fogey

Re: Reacher novels starring Tom Cruise!

Agreed. It's just madness that Tom has the role. Reacher book fans will not be pleased, but it might work for the
    movie-goers. I can't even take the movie seriously since I've read the books. So much of what Reacher does is barely plausible, but his size allows for the suspension of disbelief.

I think the movie looks great. But then I am fan of TC.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Don't you HATE it when an actor is wrong for a role? I haven't read the Reacher novels, but I wouldn't see the movies anyway (for no other reason than Tom Snooze as star).

I got on a kick where I was reading all of James Patterson's "Alex Cross" novels. Went to Netflix and ordered the first two movies from the series and was HORRIFIED to see that they had cast Morgan Freeman as a character who is described in each book as "a younger, better-looking Muhammed Ali." Tyler Perry at least fits the role better - even though the movie ("Alex Cross") wasn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Don't you HATE it when an actor is wrong for a role? I haven't read the Reacher novels, but I wouldn't see the movies anyway (for no other reason than Tom Snooze as star).

I got on a kick where I was reading all of James Patterson's "Alex Cross" novels. Went to Netflix and ordered the first two movies from the series and was HORRIFIED to see that they had cast Morgan Freeman as a character who is described in each book as "a younger, better-looking Muhammed Ali." Tyler Perry at least fits the role better - even though the movie ("Alex Cross") wasn't that great.
    Yes, I absolutely do hate it when the wrong actor is cast just as much as I love it when they choose the right one, whether or not it's a star or an unknown. Casting is ultra important. I'm not familiar with the Reacher novels, but from what you all describe, I could think of five or six actors off the top of my head who would be better suited for the role than Tom Cruise. I'm not fond of Cruise, but he is a good actor; this is just not the role for him.

The books sound like something I would enjoy. I think I'll download some from the library.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Should be interesting as the Jack Reacher wiki describes the character as 6'5" weighting between 210 and 250 lbs with a 50 inch chest and blue eyed blonde. Tom Cruise is 5'7" around 169 others say 5'9" and 145.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Exactly! I've enjoyed a lot of Cruise movies, I'm not automatically against him as an actor, but as an action star he's more of a gymnast than a slugger. With him in these films there are going to be a lot of roles for short villians!

Florimel--You don't need to read the Reacher books in exact order, but I'd definitely start with some of the older ones first. In the early ones he's still in the military (a cop in the military). Later he's left the military and is just hitching and bussing his way around the country with no special goal in mind, just kind of seeing the country that as a military brat and overseas employee he rarely saw.

I've read several of the Jack Reacher books. I cannot imagine Tom Cruise as Jack. He's supposed to be intimidating because of his physical size. What disappointing news. Surely there is someone that fits the description better.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Someone who has read the Reacher books told me last night that he was shocked that TC had been cast in the role. Then he did a little research and found out that it was Cruise's production company that was producing the movie. Ohhhh. That explains a lot.

Well I haven't read the books, hubby has. But I am game to see the movie.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast