+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Reacher novels starring Tom Cruise!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Reacher novels starring Tom Cruise!

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Someone who has read the Reacher books told me last night that he was shocked that TC had been cast in the role. Then he did a little research and found out that it was Cruise's production company that was producing the movie. Ohhhh. That explains a lot.
    What a shame....

Fanny Mare, what does your hubby think of the casting?

Thanks, PWS. When I start a series of novels, I always try to begin with the first one to help me understand both premise and characters. I already have number 1 on my digital library wish list. There is a 3-minute preview of the movie with Tom Cruise available on my On Demand. I'll try to take a look at it one of these days.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Since this movie is supposed to be out in the next month or so how come this is the first I have heard of it?

Oh, I do find it kinda fitting that TC is playing a character who followed orders all his life (Scientology) is now free to drift along with out any worries, cares or commitments (divorce). mmmmmmmmmmmmm................. .........film therapy?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

When I first heard about this movie, I never put together that it was the Reacher from the Lee Child novels, because of Tom Cruise's casting. Reacher in the novels is something like 6'5"! I always thought of him as super-human. I guess I will defer to see how TC actually pulls it off, but given what I know about Reacher from the novels, I am skeptical!

I have to give T Cruise credit for revitalizing the Mission Impossible franchise and since I have never read the Reacher series I won't be as affected by seeing the movie vs fans of the books. Still one could say TC's ego is big enough to play Jack Reacher.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'm really sorry to disagree, Bearcata, but Tom Cruise and the entire Mission Impossible movie team made me cringe. The TV show was clever and witty with interesting story lines, a minimum of violence, great characters, and very good actors. The movies were all about the action, violence, and special effects. I watch the reruns on MEtv, but after the first film, I never wanted to see another one.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I have to give T Cruise credit for revitalizing the Mission Impossible franchise and since I have never read the Reacher series I won't be as affected by seeing the movie vs fans of the books. Still one could say TC's ego is big enough to play Jack Reacher.
    We love all the MI movies, great stuff! the last one was terrific. Mindless entertainment- but still very good
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Sheesh... just saw the previews for this last night. It looks NOTHING like the Reacher novels at all. More like Mission Impossible. He's out of the military for the last couple of years at the start, but the military has some problem only he can fix so they have to find him... He's all kung fu in his fighting... well, I guess they can't just have him deliver a powerhouse wallop like the Reacher novels do, given his size. It'll have to get a fantastic review for me to want to see it.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion, Rancho Ice Racer Champion pikachu's Avatar

I have never been a fan of Tom Cruise. It puzzles me that he ever became a movie star and his career seems to have heated up again recently. He's a weirdo as a person, a terrible actor, and I don't consider him hot. Producers must see something in him that I don't.

I'm not familiar with Reacher novels. I doubt I'll be seeing this movie with Tom in it, although I did like War of the Worlds despite his presence. I'll be forever haunted by the foghorn-like sound of the alien machines and by Tom Cruise singing "Little Deuce Coupe" to his daughter as a lullaby. *shudder*

50 years and counting! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikachu View Post
    I have never been a fan of Tom Cruise. It puzzles me that he ever became a movie star and his career seems to have heated up again recently. He's a weirdo as a person, a terrible actor, and I don't consider him hot. Producers must see something in him that I don't.
    In the case of the Reacher movie, he IS the producer . . . which explains a lot. I'm with you, though. He has never done anything for me, even before I realized what a nutjob he is in his personal life.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast