+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: James Bond movies

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

James Bond movies

Whose your favorite actor playing James Bond?
    Do you have a favorite James Bond movie?
    How about a favorite Bond villain?
    Have you read any of the books the movies were based on?
    What are your favorite Bond theme songs?
    Which current actors/actresses would you like to see in a Bond movie?
    Which current singer/music group would you choose to do a Bond theme song?

The first James Bond movie I ever saw was For Your Eyes Only and it remains my favorite. My sister and I grew up seeing Roger Moore as our Bond so I'm more used to him than the original Bond, Sean Connery, who is my parents' favorite. I think of all the Bonds, Roger Moore was the most polished and sophisticated, and I appreciated his subtle sense of humor. Sean seemed a bit gruffer and more rough and tumble in comparison. Daniel Craig completely changed the character but I think that's good in a way. He's more reflective of modern times.

I only started to read one James Bond novel when I was younger and I couldn't get into it. I don't think it was a book that was made into a movie. I don't even remember the title of it now. Maybe someday I'll take another crack at it and read some of Ian Fleming's other books.

I have a lot of favorite Bond songs! I always hoped that if I got married, my husband and I could dance the first dance to "We Have All the Time in the World". It's such a beautiful song, it makes me tear up listening to it. Duran Duran was one of my favorite groups while growing up so I loved it when they got to do the theme to "A View to a Kill". I initially didn't like "The Living Daylights" by A-ha but now it's one of my favorites. I adore "Live and Let Die" and if I had to choose one to represent what all the Bond movies are about, this is the song I would choose. "License to Kill" is another song I could listen to over and over again. I love Gladys Knight!

I wouldn't mind seeing Zachary Quinto play a Bond villain. He's proven himself to be real good at playing a bad guy.

I'm not sure who to choose for a Bond girl. Maybe Sofia Vergara?

I'd love to have Cee-Lo Green do a Bond theme song. He would tear it up!!
    JohnnyK likes this.
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

Re: James Bond movies

I much prefer the earlier movies, with Sean Connery and Roger Moore to the more recent, updated versions. I like Bond the way he was. I did enjoy Pierce Brosnan's bond as I thought of him as being more like the early ones. I found much more story and much less action/violence/special effects in the first ones.

The early Bond girsl like, Ursual Andress and Honor Blackman were also more appealing to me. As touch as they could be, they remained feminine, somewhat like Fiona Glenanne in Burn Notice. If I had to pick a current Bond girl, I think it woud be Gabrielle Anwar. Loved her in the 2nd Librarian film.

Favorite song is Goldfinger sung by Shirley Basset. Gert Frobe and Oddjob were good villains in that movie, too.

I can envision Michael Emerson or Robert Carlyle as a Bond villain. Most of the early ones played it very understated.

I did read several of the books, but that was a long, long, time ago.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

I don't think I've ever seen all of them, but maybe that will be one of my goals now.

I like Connery and Moore as well. Daniel Craig is different, but I like him too.

I like Jaws. Arguably one of the most popular, if not the most popular, villains of all time.

Best Ever Pool Runner Angry Birds Champion pikachu's Avatar

Can't believe I misspelled the first word in the first post! Obviously, I meant "Who's", not "Whose". I do know the difference, lol!
    Current Pools: Face Off 7, Project Runway 13
    New Pools: DWTS 19, Registration deadline: September 22nd, Survivor 29, Registration deadline: October 1st,
    Amazing Race 25, Registration deadline: October 3rd

I hated Sean Connery as James Bond when I was in my teens. I hated the way it seemed women just fell into his bed. It seemed unrealistic at the time. But now that I am older and if I see one of the Bond classics with Connery I can really see the appeal and grit of the underlying story. He is sophisticated and charming at one point and totally brutal and savage when fighting someone. I can now totally see and understand the charm and appeal of the character. I think that is why Daniel Craig has done such a wonderful job of revitalizing the movie franchise as he has brought that retro primal feel back to the series. While I liked the Roger Moore era the movies got ridiculous with bigger and more silly special effects that it was very hard to take them very seriously. Like many movie fans I think the James Bond franchise and the Star Trek franchise have much in common is that every other film is great and every other film sucks regardless of the special effects and who the actor is. Still I so think the stand outs are Sean Connery, Daniel Craig and then Roger Moore and Pierce Brosnan.
    pikachu likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Favorite Bonds: Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore. In that order.

I think Daniel Craig has done a good job with the character, but I just don't like the Bond Movies that he was in at all. Too much over the top action sequences & not much storyline or character development.
    All of the other characters could have been replaced with absolutely anyone, as in: Insert actor/actress. Insert character. They were completely forgettable.
    The villains & Bond Girls from the early movies were memorable.

And Sophia Vergara, she'd steal the show!
    Florimel likes this.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    Favorite Bonds: Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan, Roger Moore. In that order.

I think Daniel Craig has done a good job with the character, but I just don't like the Bond Movies that he was in at all. Too much over the top action sequences & not much storyline or character development.
    All of the other characters could have been replaced with absolutely anyone, as in: Insert actor/actress. Insert character. They were completely forgettable.
    The villains & Bond Girls from the early movies were memorable.

And Sophia Vergara, she'd steal the show!
    I do agree the movie is much better with a standout villain and a standout female lead.

Everyone looking forward to Skyfall come November? I heard it is very good.

CCL

^ yes.
    I've actually only ever seen Daniel Craig Bond movies. I tried to watch another one once (I think it was Brosnan) and couldn't get past a few minutes. When the first Craig one came out it looked interesting so I went and I liked it.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I liked Sean the best and Pierce 2nd best, in part because he reminded me of Sean. I was one of those fans who hated that his TV contract prevented him from taking over Bond even earlier than he did....both of them fit the books well... and, well, I like that "black Irish" look, the dark hair light skin thing. I think Daniel Craig is a good actor but he just doesn't appeal to me as much... and he doesn't have the smooth "shaken not stirred" thing going on that Sean and Pierce did so well. And he seems to lack the twinkle in the eye that Sean and Pierce had.

(FYI, I've always thought "shaken not stirred" was one of the most pretentious pieces of drivel ever, and if I met someone on a first date who said that or something like it that would be that, but it does fit the character... someone who is not quite the gentleman, but "passing". )
    JLuvs likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast