+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By AJane
  • 1 Post By Bearcata

Thread: Magic Mike

Magic Mike

Seriously, no thread for this? NO ONE checking it out?

Well, I freely admit I am looking forward to seeing it tonight...going with a group of women I work with. It's so popular in our city we had to buy tickets in advance. Hoping for some silly fun and an eyeful of Joe Manganiello.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Re: Magic Mike

I've seen it and I offer a word of warning to my fellow movie buffs... the first 3/4 of the movie is the fun romp that is portrayed in the commercials, the last quarter gets a little dark. You will walk out of the theater feeling like you were kicked in the gut. The movie makers should have stuck with one style or the other. Either the fun romantic comedy or the gritty expose of the lifestyle.
    You will enjoy the hell out of the first 3/4! It's cute and funny and sexy.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I personally LOVED this movie from start to finish. I like that it had a realistic storyline weaved into it. Dang, dang, DANG, them men was fine as hell all up in there! Might have to go see it again...lol

Enjoy!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw it on Wednesday, since I had the day off. I went because it's a Soderbergh movie and I don't miss those. I liked it well enough, but I felt the ending was a bit off and the ecstasy selling plot line a bit under-developed. Aside from Tatum, the dancing was appropriately out of step for what Tampa would offer, so that was a good laugh, especially Tarzan, who looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but the stage in the group dances. But man alive, McConaughey looked OLD. He's not that old at all, but he easily looked 10 years older (in the face) than he actually is.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Glad to hear you say that about Matt McC., as I saw a picture of him the other day...did he just get married or something?... anyway, he looked really old, and I thought it was another case of "how time flies"....I mean Tom Cruise just turned 50 and that startled me.

I'm off on a trip, but when I get back I plan to see this with two friends (it does seem like a "go with friends" movie somehow!). When I emailed one to see if she'd be interested she said OK, although she doesn't usually like animated movies.... imagining the multiple interpretations of that...maybe she thought there was some CGI as well? Some 3D? I wrote back saying I thought she'd read the wrong reviews... Hope she is still in when she does.

Matthew McConaughey is 43 according to Wiki, and he sure does look every year of it in the face but definitely not below the neck. I read an interview with him where he said that he indignantly turned down the offer of a body double for the film, saying he didn't need a "stunt ass". He sure doesn't.

Things I didn't expect to like and did: Channing Tatum and his dancing, and Alex Pettyfer. I think he would be an excellent Finnick in the next Hunger Games. Also liked the young actress who played Adam's sister.

Things I didn't like: Not enough Joe Manganiello, though I knew he just had a supporting role. The storyline (which I admit was not what drew us to the movie) was half-baked. It's as if they couldn't decide whether they wanted to do a rom-com or Boogie Nights. All in all, though, it was good fun for a Friday night.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Matthew McConaughey is 43 according to Wiki, and he sure does look every year of it in the face but definitely not below the neck. I read an interview with him where he said that he indignantly turned down the offer of a body double for the film, saying he didn't need a "stunt ass". He sure doesn't.

Things I didn't expect to like and did: Channing Tatum and his dancing, and Alex Pettyfer. I think he would be an excellent Finnick in the next Hunger Games. Also liked the young actress who played Adam's sister.

Things I didn't like: Not enough Joe Manganiello, though I knew he just had a supporting role. The storyline (which I admit was not what drew us to the movie) was half-baked. It's as if they couldn't decide whether they wanted to do a rom-com or Boogie Nights. All in all, though, it was good fun for a Friday night.

Matthew McCaughney, DEFINITELY did not need a body double. One of the very last images of him doing the splits on the stage will be forever etched in my sexually liberated female mind....WOWSERS! lol
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Matthew looks good below the neck. I agree that he looks old in the face, but I definitely wasn't looking at his face much, and my mind goes to his final stripping number more than his face. Very nice. I loved the self parody of his character. If it was the sexy fun movie that made me want to fan myself as hot guys strip, I would give it four stars, but it fell flat when it was trying to be serious. I think they should have dropped that whole other storyline and only focused on being one type of movie. I wish they had had more of Joe Manganiello and the White Collar guy (can't remember his name).

Just saw it ON Demand.

Channing Tantum can dance and I know lots of folks don't give him much credit for being smart and being able to act but I felt he did a good job here and proves he does have acting chops. There is almost a good guy bad guy dynamic between him and the Matthew McCaughney/Dallas character. I was not very impressed with Alex Pettyfar as Adam/The Kid, in his role, his attitude, his judgement, his character and his lack of dancing ability, no way no how did I believe he was the replacement for Magic Mike he just did not have the stage presence or charisma. If he is in The Hunger Games I hope he does a better job. I do wish the other strippers had been better dancers. Joe Manganiello's best part was doing the stuff behind the white sheet and all we saw was the shadow. I do agree it was a little bit weird going from a very Boogie Nights feel to the more sepia filmed grimy side of the business.

Oh, it was nice to see a lot of gratuitous male butt and not so much female T & A.
    bee stung lips likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread