+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dark Shadows (The Movie)

Dark Shadows (The Movie)

Just came home from watching Dark Shadows. It was great, in my opinion. There is no better team than Tim Burton and Johnny Depp. Go with an open mind.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The movie is nothing like the original tv soap.
    Set in the 1970's the music and clothes brought back lots of memories for me. This is really not a movie for young children.
    There's no place like home!

Re: Dark Shadows (The Movie)

I wasn't really interested in seeing this one, but I figured I might change my position if it got really great reviews. It's not looking so good:
    Mike Ryan: 'Dark Shadows': Will Johnny Depp's Newest Put You To Sleep? (And 24 Other Urgent Questions)
    I didn't post the actual article because there are some little spoilers. It's one of the more entertaining bad reviews I've ever read.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

It will not get rave reviews, but it was a fun afternoon. It was definitely a Tim Burton film...but I like his sense of humor.
    There's no place like home!

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    It will not get rave reviews, but it was a fun afternoon. It was definitely a Tim Burton film...but I like his sense of humor.
    Saw it, too.

Nope, it's not gonna get rave reviews, but Depp (for me, at least) is a worthy successor to my beloved Jonathan Frid (may he RIP) in the Barnabas Collins role. Which is what I'd crossed my fingers and was hoping for. So, it delivered for me, in that aspect.

And as captain advised, you DO have to go in with an open mind. Since I did (and because I usually enjoy Burton's work and liked the casting, costumes, sets, and --- mostly --- the acting in this film), I was fine with it. I appreciated the funny bits, too.

May weigh in more as other observations and opinions come in.

The only other thing I'll say right now is that Angelique in THIS incarnation of DS is TRULY a straight-up, off-the-chain TRIP!
    Last edited by ness; 05-12-2012 at 02:02 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Just saw it. Liked it. Lost a bit of momentum about two thirds in but ended nicely. Did a great job on the period pieces and the transition to 1972. Liked the stilted style of soap opera acting especially when Elizabeth was dealing with Barnabas. For a remake they did a fabulous job.

I think since it is quirky enough, being a Tim Burton film and a remake of Dark Shadows, and starting Johny Depp that it will do well financially, not a big blockbuster like the Avengers but well.

Lara Parker, David Selby, Jonathan Frid and Kathryn Leigh Scott all appeared as guests at the ball/happening but I didn't see them.

Eva Green as Angelique was fantastic.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We saw it today, too. I never watched the original soap, but the little bit I knew of it was enough background. Johnny Depp was . . . well . . . Johnny Depp; he's never better than when he's paired with Tim Burton. It was entertaining, for sure!

+ Reply to Thread