+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: The Avengers

The Avengers

AB SO LUTE LY FA BU LOUS!

Must see this. This is the summer blockbuster you have been waiting for. It was fun. It was smart. It was funny. The dialog was great and the acting good and some unexpected scenes that just make it a much better movie then expected. The fight scenes were beautifully choreographed and they made sense as it was logical at that point in the film to have a fight. Didn't feel as if they were too long or pointless. Totally luv'd the fight scene between Loki and the Hulk. Wish they had shown that twice.

I normally do not bother to see a movie again once I have seen it. This one I would. I was concerned when Joss Whedon the director was picked for this project as his last movie Serenity was just not that good. Although I am sure Firefly fans would not agree with me. His TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer was brilliant as was the spin off Angel. Both full of characters with unexpected depths, wonderfully wackly story arcs and full of crazy dialog. Well, I will be the first one to say that Joss Whedon has mastered the act of directing a big budget movie. The dialog and one liners are simply brilliant. This movie does deserve an A+.

Do not leave before the credits are finished there are not one but two extra scenes. Will you miss out if you leave when you think the movie is finished. No, but the additional scenes add a bit of prologue and possible spoiler for a future villain and the last scene is simply apropos. I still am not sure what swarma is?

Enjoy! and Avengers Assemble!
    brunette trixie likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: The Avengers

It's been getting fantastic reviews.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

and to prove your point.

Jonathan Kim: ReThink Review: The Avengers - Assemble and Be Amazed

Jonathan Kim

Film Critic for ReThink Reviews, the Uprising Show, What the Flick?!

ReThink Review: The Avengers - Assemble and Be Amazed
    Posted: 05/04/2012 6:58 pm

With a movie as big and anticipated as The Avengers, it's hard to imagine it being anything other than a disappointment. After all, the hype has been building since the Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk movies in 2008 and has grown even louder and more frenzied with Iron Man 2 and the success of the Thor and Captain America movies in 2011. With so much at stake -- including maintaining current franchises, setting up new ones, and recouping a budget and marketing campaign costing hundreds of millions -- the studio instinct would be to make The Avengers as big, stupid, and loud as possible. This is called "broadening the appeal," which is a polite term for dumbing a movie down so it won't confuse or offend small children, stupid people, and foreign audiences who will be following the dialogue in subtitles. It's a cynical perspective that claims that good acting, developed characters, logic, and smart writing matter less -- much less -- than bludgeoning viewers into a stupor with deafening, deadening special effects. It's the approach taken by Michael Bay with his Transformers films, and the results (and their box office success) are both infuriating and disheartening.

But The Avengers and its talented writer/director Joss Whedon didn't do that. As a result, The Avengers is so good, clever, funny, and satisfying that it not only surpassed all my expectations, but it left me with a deep, unexpected feeling of pride. Not because I was in any way involved with The Avengers, but because it's a movie that reminded me that despite the many faults and sins of America and its film industry, they're still capable of accomplishing big and amazing things. And when they're at their best, they remain the places where the world goes to see their dreams take flight.

Don't read the review in the NewYorker it was horrible, just another critic trying to prove he is the bigger a$$h@le.

Just saw the film, it was fantastic... i only saw one extra scene at the end.... Bearcata what was the other one...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Only one I saw was Thanos...
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We just saw it. I have not read any of the comic books, and was mainly interested in seeing the movie because of Robert Downey, Jr.

Having said that I LOVED THIS MOVIE! I concur 100% with what Bearcata wrote in the opening post on this thread. We went at 11:40 this morning, and the theater was pretty much sold out. The writing was sharp and creative, and I loved the humor - which added just the right touch.

If you're wondering whether to go or not . . . stop wondering and GO!

Quote Originally Posted by Realitychick View Post
    Just saw the film, it was fantastic... i only saw one extra scene at the end.... Bearcata what was the other one...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Only one I saw was Thanos...
    At the very end after all the credits have rolled there is the one last scene.

Click to see Spoiler:
    They are all sitting around a table in an restaurant having a meal after the battle. Absolutely no dialog. And the restaurant staff is just sweeping up stuff that broke during the battle.

FYI:

Shawarma 101: Tips for Making Shawarma

Shawarma is a little piece of heaven, right here on Earth. Shawarma is a lot like a gyro, kind of like a taco, but so different in many ways.

What is Shawarma?
    Shawarma is thinly sliced cuts of meat, like chicken, beef, goat, lamb, and sometimes turkey, rolled into a large piece of flatbread or pita that has been steamed or heated. Inside the pita, foods like hummus, tahini, pickles, vegetables, and even french fries are added. Think of shawarma as a taco or burrito Middle Eastern style.

How is Shawarma Made?
    Raw meat is placed on large, rotating cones. As it rotates, the meat is cooked by a heat source that is located behind the actual cone. The meat slowly falls off or is thinly sliced by a chef with a large knife. It can take several hours to fully cook.

What is Served with Shawarma
    I have had shawarma with fries, salads like tabouleh, falafel, and just by itself for a quick bite on the go.In some places it is served alone, without the pita or flatbread.
    AZChristian likes this.

I totally agree with Bearcata, this movie was awesome! I really only went because my friend is a huge Joss Whedon fan and I have a crush on Jeremy Renner (Hawkeye). I enjoyed it so very much, my low expectations were seriously blown away. It was funny, the action scenes were fantastic, and there were many attractive people running around in spandex. It's pretty much the perfect summer movie. And I didn't see any of the previous Marvel movies (Thor, Iron Man, The Hulk, etc.) and I didn't have trouble following the plot.

Poor me, I actually HAVE TO see the movie again because I didn't see the last scene after the end credits. I thought the outer space scene during the end credits was the last scene, lol.
    AZChristian likes this.

I normally don't go to the theater to see a movie, but I saw this on Saturday and thought it was great. Loved the action, loved the brilliant verbiage, .....just really really really liked the movie. Didn't care about the reviews-but especially won't believe anything from the NYTimes in the future.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast