+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prometheus

Prometheus

There has been a lot of buzz around this movie. I had pretty much ignored it and didn't know anything about the premise UNTIL this trailer was released. Now, I am really looking forward to it. This is the summer blockbuster I am the most excited about! This kind of story has definitely been done before and the trailer is definitely reminiscent of the Alien films. I am *hoping* the story will have some kind of twist that will set it apart.

It looks like it will be a visually beautiful film. Big bonus for me: It features Idris Elba!!
    Other big names to look forward to: Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron
    Prometheus International Launch Trailer - YouTube

Re: Prometheus

Alien Prequel. Big Whoop. Planning to pass.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I didn't realize it was actually a prequel to Alien! I really liked the first few Alien movies (especially Aliens) and I still think this movie looks great!

ETA after poking around a little...
    Set in the late 21st century, the story follows the crew of the spaceship Prometheus as they explore an advanced alien civilization in search of the origins of humanity.
    Conceived as a prequel to Scott's 1979 science fiction horror film Alien, rewrites of Spaihts's script by Lindelof developed a separate story that precedes the events of Alien, but which is not directly connected to the films in the Alien franchise. According to Scott, though the film shares "strands of Alien's DNA, so to speak", and takes place in the same universe, Prometheus will explore its own mythology and ideas.
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 05-07-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Finally got to see this movie over the weekend. About an hour in I was thinking to myself "Wow, I am really enjoying this movie a lot!" Sadly, shortly after this point I felt like the whole film started to unravel. I *think* I followed the plot, but it wasn't straightforward! I'm going to post my interpretation of the plot in spoilers because it does have some story detail, but I'm curious if other people who saw it agree or disagree...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The alien world they visit is the home of "the engineers". They are an alien race that traveled to earth and created humans. This part was pretty clear. So the humans travel to this alien world to try to find their creators. They find this room full of "vases" that contain a biological weapon created by the engineers. They initially don't find any trace of the engineers because this bio weapon got out of their control and turned on them, killing everyone on this planet (hence the one we saw kill itself at the beginning of the film). They do discover that there is one engineer still alive on this planet in stasis. When they revive him they realize that the engineers hate them and had actually intended to take this bio weapon back to earth to exterminate humans. They also decide at some point that this planet is just a military outpost, not the homeland of the engineers. So the next movie will ostensibly cover trying to find the homeworld of the engineers and figure out why they decided to destroy the humans after creating them.

PROS:
    - Michael Fassbender did an OUTSTANDING job as the android!
    - The special effects and filming were FANTASTIC!

CONS (spoilers):
    Click to see Spoiler:

- The Weyland character was fairly pointless.
    - Charlize Theron was not utilized to her potential. From the previews I expected to get more of her and I expected her to be more forbidding. She started out that way, but then the character kind of lost her edge.
    - I just CANNOT come to terms with the idea that a woman could have emergency abdominal surgery, get stapled shut, and then to proceed to run all over the planet - leaping and climbing over the edges of cliffs. Yes, she paused now and then to dramatically grab her belly and moan, but still...REALLY!?!?
    - I am an Idris Elba fan (LOVE Luther), but am I mistaken or did his accent completely change during this movie!? I could have sworn he was British at the beginning, then an American from the deep south, and then a generic American by the end!!
    - I like Noomi Rapace, but she just wasn't badass enough to measure up to Ripley.
    - I HATE when the point of a movie appears to be to set up for a sequel and they just left a key point of this story completely unresolved so they could deal with it in the next movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Finally got to see this movie over the weekend. About an hour in I was thinking to myself "Wow, I am really enjoying this movie a lot!" Sadly, shortly after this point I felt like the whole film started to unravel. I *think* I followed the plot, but it wasn't straightforward! I'm going to post my interpretation of the plot in spoilers because it does have some story detail, but I'm curious if other people who saw it agree or disagree...
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The alien world they visit is the home of "the engineers". They are an alien race that traveled to earth and created humans. This part was pretty clear. So the humans travel to this alien world to try to find their creators. They find this room full of "vases" that contain a biological weapon created by the engineers. They initially don't find any trace of the engineers because this bio weapon got out of their control and turned on them, killing everyone on this planet (hence the one we saw kill itself at the beginning of the film). They do discover that there is one engineer still alive on this planet in stasis. When they revive him they realize that the engineers hate them and had actually intended to take this bio weapon back to earth to exterminate humans. They also decide at some point that this planet is just a military outpost, not the homeland of the engineers. So the next movie will ostensibly cover trying to find the homeworld of the engineers and figure out why they decided to destroy the humans after creating them.

PROS:
    - Michael Fassbender did an OUTSTANDING job as the android!
    - The special effects and filming were FANTASTIC!

CONS (spoilers):
    Click to see Spoiler:

- The Weyland character was fairly pointless.
    - Charlize Theron was not utilized to her potential. From the previews I expected to get more of her and I expected her to be more forbidding. She started out that way, but then the character kind of lost her edge.
    - I just CANNOT come to terms with the idea that a woman could have emergency abdominal surgery, get stapled shut, and then to proceed to run all over the planet - leaping and climbing over the edges of cliffs. Yes, she paused now and then to dramatically grab her belly and moan, but still...REALLY!?!?
    - I am an Idris Elba fan (LOVE Luther), but am I mistaken or did his accent completely change during this movie!? I could have sworn he was British at the beginning, then an American from the deep south, and then a generic American by the end!!
    - I like Noomi Rapace, but she just wasn't badass enough to measure up to Ripley.
    - I HATE when the point of a movie appears to be to set up for a sequel and they just left a key point of this story completely unresolved so they could deal with it in the next movie.
    ClosetRTWatcher, I think you hit all the highlights of the film. Many reviewers are saying the same thing that there are great individual performances, the effects are fantastic but that the story falls short so as a whole the film is not as good as it could have been.

Went to see this today...the only somewhat promising movie among many that I thought I couldn't possibly like...can you tell I think there are many lousy movies out in the past couple years??
    Personally, it was awful...unless you like wham, bam CGI affects...What has happened to decent story lines?? The only really visible story line here was "let's set this up as something that can have a sequal." Never understood the point of Charlize Theron being there at all. Yes, ClosetRTWatcher, I had trouble believing a woman could do all that after a serious C Section also....
    It's one thing to somewhat suspend your everyday logic when watching movies but don't treat us like we're stupid.

Maybe I'm just old, cranky and watch too many old classic films (Turner Classic Movies) but I'm so very disappointed in movies today.
    I want good writing and a good story and it can be done effectively without a lot of special effects.....probably cheaper, if you get good writing, good acting and a good director.

Dragonlady that is why I think Avatar is a poor film. Yes the special effects and wonderful but the story sucks and Sam Worthington who plays Jake Sully in the film didn't even make an effort to act during the entire film. While special effects can really enhances a film and story if the story isn't any good does anyone even remember the film after they have seen it?

+ Reply to Thread