+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games

Anyone else planning to see this when it comes out on March 23rd? I started reading the books about a week ago, and I'm really looking forward to it now. The cast looks like it could be promising. I'm a little worried it will turn into the Gale vs Peeta show (much like the Edward vs Jacob of the Twilight movies). Fortunately, the story itself is more serious and complicated than the Twilight series, and I think they have a lot to work with.
    The Hunger Games Official Trailer 2012 HD - YouTube

Re: The Hunger Games

I'm not sure I'll be able to see it on the 23rd (might be travelling home from a spring break trip) BUT I've read the books as have my daughters and we're all really excited to see the movie. I hope it does the first book justice.

I won't see it on opening weekend, but I'm looking forward to seeing it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My niece and her entire circle already have tickets and plan to see it 2 or 3 times.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I've seen it mentioned a lot, but haven't bothered to look into it. All I know is it's about teenagers.

What's it about anyhow? What's the big buzz?

I know, I'm out of touch again.
    "Some of us learn from other people's mistakes and the rest of us have to be other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I've seen it mentioned a lot, but haven't bothered to look into it. All I know is it's about teenagers.

What's it about anyhow? What's the big buzz?

I know, I'm out of touch again.
    Basically the story is set in the near future and America no longer exists as we know it. The country is set in huge provinces. As a child your name is put into a lottery. Every year 2 children are picked from each province and are put down in a wilderness area. The last one alive wins the lottery and is set for life. All is televised. You may call it the ultimate form of Survivor.

PS: I have not read the books because I do not want to spoil my viewing of the movie, so my explanation is based on hearsay.

The big buzz was it really appropriate for young children as the levels of violence is quite high. The book is labeled YA Young Adult. I also know because of the buzz many parents (mostly moms) have also read the books and are now big fans of the books.

A better explanation:

The Hunger Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Hunger Games is a young adult novel written by Suzanne Collins. It was originally published in hardcover on September 14, 2008, by Scholastic.[1] It is written in first person and introduces sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives in a post-apocalyptic world in the country of Panem where the countries of North America once existed. The Capitol, a highly advanced metropolis, holds absolute power over the rest of the nation. The Hunger Games are an annual event in which one boy and one girl aged 12 to 18 from each of the 12 districts surrounding the Capitol are selected by lottery to compete in a televised battle in which only one person can survive.

The book has been released as a paperback and also an audiobook and e-book. The Hunger Games had an initial print of 200,000 twice doubled from the original 50,000. Since its initial release, the novel has been translated into 26 different languages and rights of production have been sold in 38 countries. The book received mostly positive reviews from major reviewers and authors. The Hunger Games is the first novel in The Hunger Games trilogy[2], followed by Catching Fire, published on September 1, 2009,[3] and Mockingjay, published on August 24, 2010.[4]

A film adaptation, written and produced by Collins herself and directed by Gary Ross, will be released worldwide on March 23, 2012. The film stars Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss, Josh Hutcherson as Peeta, and Liam Hemsworth as Gale.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 03-13-2012 at 03:03 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I read them because I like post apolcalypse science fiction, and they were very good. The later ones get quite grim, but you still want to find out what happens. They are popular with girls because of the kick a__ heroine, and with boys because of all the action. The heroine has a lot of survival skills because she's been hunting (illegally) to help support her family, so it is reasonable she's so good at the Game.
    The writing is good, and they raise interesting issues.

Definitely going to see this, but probably not on opening weekend. Depends on the crowd, I guess. I tore through the whole trilogy a few months ago and very much enjoyed it.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Yep, I have my tickets already for the 23rd. Looking forward to it. And Bearcata, that was a pretty good summary for someone who hasn't read the books! That's pretty much how I described it to my husband, who now thinks he might want to see it - as long as it doesn't turn into another Twilight!

I think that overall, a lot of parents are looking past the violence - which is integral to the story, not gratutitous - and focusing on the strength of character of Katniss, Peeta, & Gale. I hope that that it doesn't evolve into a Twilight squeal-fest. This is a far more serious series than Twilight and even Harry Potter - there is little to no humor and even the romance is quite grim. I'm very curious to see how the filmmakers handle it. I'm just now waiting to see if my daughter plans to see it with her friends or if I'm her chosen movie date.

Hah...jinx on KatesMom on my Twilight comment.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 1234567891011 ... LastLast