+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

How about the Game Master has the forum/arena set up in such away that they can manipulate the position of the tribute, for example aiming fireballs at a participant so they will move in a direction they want them to. Changing rules to the point it is a good idea to ally with a certain someone. TPTB were manipulating the situation, the tribute just had to take advantage of it. The GameMaster is like a producer/editor of any reality tv show and creates characters and tries to create story lines to interest the audience. Even Peeta jumped on the star crossed lovers story arc to create sympathy and perhaps get sponsors to help them.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

Fair enough but I still don't think they wanted Katniss to end up victorious. Maybe go far but not win.
    As for Peeta...he jumped on the star-crossed lovers bandwagon but his feelings for Katniss were always real; hers for him were more complicated.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Fair enough but I still don't think they wanted Katniss to end up victorious. Maybe go far but not win.
    As for Peeta...he jumped on the star-crossed lovers bandwagon but his feelings for Katniss were always real; hers for him were more complicated.
    Just to add to this, I really don't think they wanted her to win. As I have mentioned, I didn't see the movie yet, so I don't know - did the movie include the part where they give all the tributes a rating before they go into the arena as to how well they think they will do? What comes out later is that it is actually not a good thing to get a high score - it is TPTB way of pegging the tribute as a threat, and hence a target for the other tributes to get rid of early.

Just heard this on the radio if Peeta and Katniss hookup there hookup name would be
    Click to see Spoiler:
    PeeNiss
    . I put it in spoiler brackets cause the "hookup" name is kinda gross. Don't read it if you don't want to go yuck.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    Just to add to this, I really don't think they wanted her to win. As I have mentioned, I didn't see the movie yet, so I don't know - did the movie include the part where they give all the tributes a rating before they go into the arena as to how well they think they will do? What comes out later is that it is actually not a good thing to get a high score - it is TPTB way of pegging the tribute as a threat, and hence a target for the other tributes to get rid of early.
    That wasn't brought out in the movie, but it was a mixed blessing to get a high score - you could get more support from the public, but it did make you a huge target.

I just got home from the movie. I was surprised and please with how they translated this book into a movie. Mr. C loved it and hadn't read the books, so that was a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I loved it too, aside from the shaky camera work at the beginning. I find it really hard for my eyes to focus when they do that, and it really detracts from the scene IMO. I was really glad when that stopped. I didn't mind the little details being changed, and thought they stayed pretty true to the book. Loved Stanley Tucci, Jennifer Lawrence, Donald Sutherland (the last scene was creepy!!), Woody Harrelson (brilliant) and I adored the scene between Cinna and Katniss before she gets into the tube. I can just imagine how terrifying those few seconds were before the start of the games. I read the books but confess I had my hands up over my eyes peeking through my fingers at that part.

My only gripe...Peeta seems too short! /shallow
    Haha, when I was reading the book I strangely got it in my head that Peeta had dark hair, but by the end of the book I realized he was fair headed. I thought the actor was cast perfectly and so was Gale...poor Katniss, having both of them in her life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Just heard this on the radio if Peeta and Katniss hookup there hookup name would be
    Click to see Spoiler:
    PeeNiss
    . I put it in spoiler brackets cause the "hookup" name is kinda gross. Don't read it if you don't want to go yuck.
    Actually there is some hysterical video of Josh holding up a sign from fans that said that and he showed it to actor who played Gale who doubled over in hysterics.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Really? Biggest box office ever? Clearly I've lost touch with my inner teenage girl.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Really? Biggest box office ever? Clearly I've lost touch with my inner teenage girl.
    There, there, Uncle David I am sure you will find her.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    How about the Game Master has the forum/arena set up in such away that they can manipulate the position of the tribute, for example aiming fireballs at a participant so they will move in a direction they want them to. Changing rules to the point it is a good idea to ally with a certain someone. TPTB were manipulating the situation, the tribute just had to take advantage of it. The GameMaster is like a producer/editor of any reality tv show and creates characters and tries to create story lines to interest the audience. Even Peeta jumped on the star crossed lovers story arc to create sympathy and perhaps get sponsors to help them.
    They did manipulate Katniss and move her where they wanted, but Seneca Crane believed by doing so, it would mean her death. He commented to African American woman to "get a body bag ready", meaning with them moving Katniss to where the group was, he fully expected her to be killed fairly quickly. He had no idea Katniss knew how to climb trees. That being said, when she survived and showed her resourcefulness, he got the idea of rooting for the underdog and came up with the idea of teams, probably figuring Cato and Clove, the Careers, would eventually take down Peeta & Katniss.

RE: the second bold - Peeta didn't jump on that bandwagon; he was the person who came clean with Haymitch b/c, for him, it was true - he'd been crushing on Katniss forever. Katniss was the one who had to jump on the bandwagon, which is why Haymitch wrote her the note in his pkg to her. I think this is one of those situations where it's made clearer and expanded upon in the book.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

+ Reply to Thread