+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Yep. They get to live in Victors Village and have no worries in regards to food and finances, plus you supposedly never have to participate in the games again.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

CCL

Re: The Hunger Games

Just to expand on Jluv's post: each district has a Victors' Village with fancy houses where former victors live; there's not one grand Victors' Village where all former victors live together regardless of their original district. The houses are all prebuilt and, at least in the case of 12, a bit removed from the town. The village in District 12 is emptier than most as there was just one previous victor (now three).

I'm glad it's done so well at the box office.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Yep. They get to live in Victors Village and have no worries in regards to food and finances, plus you supposedly never have to participate in the games again.
    What about the Victors families?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Katniss's family lives there with her. I believe Peeta lives on his own as does Haymitch.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Their families may live with them. Another "prize" you find out about in book 3 is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    they're forced into stud service in the capitol.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I saw it today with a couple of friends who've read the books. They loved it but I did not. The first half drug by and the second was pretty predictable up until the end. The end was disappointing because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Peeta needed to get killed.
    Maybe if I'd read the books I'd have a better idea of why I'm supposed to care about any of the characters.

That said, damn Lenny Kravitz is still hot! He doesn't seem to have aged a day since I saw him 15 years ago.
    PhoneGrrrl, I laughed at why you were disappointed in the end because to me, that is one of the most important things about the entire movie - and that's what sets up the next two books. These two "children" refused to play by the Capital's rules - and the Capital caved! They set the stage for what is to come.

I didn't end up getting to see the movie this weekend (long story), but had to share what happened in one of my friend's showings! When Kato died, she said a bunch of the younger viewers started clapping and cheering! My friend and her viewing buddies, who are much older, were completely shocked. I get that you want to root for Katniss and Peeta, but to cheer completely misses the underlying point - almost like you are siding with the Capital!!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    What about the Victors families?
    They receive food stipends every month for the rest of the Victor's life as well. Peeta's family stayed in their home but they still rec'd the food.

Quote Originally Posted by KatesMom View Post
    I didn't end up getting to see the movie this weekend (long story), but had to share what happened in one of my friend's showings! When Kato died, she said a bunch of the younger viewers started clapping and cheering! My friend and her viewing buddies, who are much older, were completely shocked. I get that you want to root for Katniss and Peeta, but to cheer completely misses the underlying point - almost like you are siding with the Capital!!
    It's the same as people cheering for Voldemort's death in HP or Sauron's in Lord of the Rings, both of which I heard during their midnight premieres. Cheering a death, any death, is bad form IMO but, sadly, it's not uncommon.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    It's the same as people cheering for Voldemort's death in HP or Sauron's in Lord of the Rings, both of which I heard during their midnight premieres. Cheering a death, any death, is bad form IMO but, sadly, it's not uncommon.
    I didn't see the Lord of the Rings, so I can't comment on that one. I see it differently with Voldemort - who really was the bad guy all the way through the movies. Here, the competitors are the pawns, not really the bad guys - that's the Capital. But I do understand that some younger viewers might not see it that way.

While I do understand why the younger crowd and older would cheer at Cato's death; I felt sorry for him because he realized that although he was a "career" tribute and had trained physically and mentally all his life to win at the Hunger Games, no matter how good he was, no matter how hard he tried Upper Management/TPTB was not going to allow that to happen they were going to manipulate the games so Katniss would win and that was sad.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

I do not think they manipulated it so Katniss would win. If anything, they would have rather had someone like Cato, someone more pliable and easily enthralled to the Capitol, win in the end. In the very end, when she forced their hand with the berries, yes, they let her get away with it and win. But she will pay for her actions...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread