+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

Did Katniss and Peeta ever have the trackers removed from their arms?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    CCL explained the reason the Capitol doesn't send children into the games but I had to comment on the bolded - I've got a 9-year-old DD and wouldn't let her see the movie or read the books nor would some of my friends, who previewed the movie before bringing their children who are the same age as DD. I know everyone's different but there were too many shots of dead children and violence against those children for this to warrant a younger rating, IMO. It reminds me of Lord of the Flies, which I saw as a teenager when it came out, and had problems with it. Truth be told, I think if this has a PG-13 rating, the new movie Bully should have the same (but that's a diff. topic, so I'll stop there).
    I can see your point it does depend on the child and the parent, but so many kids have seen so much violence on TV, playing video games and watching movies that in comparison that violence in The Hunger Games seems rather mild. Heck there is a lot of violence in the movie Avatar yet many parents took their kids to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    The Capitol does not send tributes to the Games. The Tributes are made to be given by the districts in punishment for rising up against the Capitol. The people in the Capitol are rather ridiculous but they are just as enslaved by the government but in a different way; the government gives them bread and circuses (hence Panem) and they in turn don't question the government's control of them.

I'd recommend reading the books as they have more illuminating details (of course), and I did miss some of the things that were left out
    Click to see Spoiler:
    a lot of the Capitol stuff like the party where everyone takes drugs so they can purge and eat more, Madge, the baker (Peeta's father) giving Katniss the cookies, the bread gift from District 11 etc. I seem to be mentioning a lot of food things.
    . But I did enjoy the movie. Jennifer Lawrence was great. I wasn't sure about the actor playing Peeta but he turned out good. Loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna.

It'll be interesting to see how it does money wise.
    There were a lot of people at the show I went to. Lot of young people but they shut up when the movie started, which was good.
    Roughly $68,250,000 and that is from Friday night and the film budget was $78 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The only time that is mentioned specifically is in later book. It wasn't shown coming out in the first movie.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

I think the 3-finger salute to and from district 11 (which atually took place in book 2 on their tour of the districts) was supposed to replace the bread for expediency. They had to lose a lot of details and minor characters to streamline the movie and for the most part, I think they did an excellent job. But I just can't get past Buttercup.
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Just got back and LOVED it...wasn't upset with any of the minor changes from the book. Can't wait to see who ends up playing Finnick as he is my fav. character in the books. I don't think there was a weak link in the cast.
    Me too! I was online last night, trying to see which way the rumors were flying as far as casting since filming starts in July. Personally, I'd love to see Justin Hartley with green contacts playing Finnick. He's definitely got the swimmer's body and his character, Fox, on Passions was similar to Finnick. But IK b/c I want him, it won't be him. A girl can hope, though.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I loved it too, aside from the shaky camera work at the beginning. I find it really hard for my eyes to focus when they do that, and it really detracts from the scene IMO. I was really glad when that stopped. I didn't mind the little details being changed, and thought they stayed pretty true to the book. Loved Stanley Tucci, Jennifer Lawrence, Donald Sutherland (the last scene was creepy!!), Woody Harrelson (brilliant) and I adored the scene between Cinna and Katniss before she gets into the tube. I can just imagine how terrifying those few seconds were before the start of the games. I read the books but confess I had my hands up over my eyes peeking through my fingers at that part.

My only gripe...Peeta seems too short! /shallow

Well the Huffington Post has The Hunger Games making $155 million for the weekend box office.

'The Hunger Games' Weekend Box Office: $155 Million

These are studio estimates and the actuals will be out Monday. Not bad for a film that cost $78 million to make. The gross does not include about $55 million made overseas.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    The venom from the tracker jackers? That was drawn out by the leaves Rue applied. The trackers that the game makers inserted? The trackers were for the games, so they could know where the tributes were relative to each other and also in the dense foliage. After the games there is really no point to the trackers...they are accompanied in the Capitol and in their home district they have the guards who watch the villagers.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    In the second book she still hunts in the forest even though it is illegal. They try to catch her at it; if she still had the tracker in her they could prove where she had been. As they don't, this suggests the tracker was removed or doesn't work in the village.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Don't you receive some kind of cash prize if you win the games?

+ Reply to Thread