+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

The movie was pretty well done, and Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as Katniss. She was pretty much everything I wanted her to be. It was so cool to see a movie where the girl is the hero and the star.

Funny spoiler that happened while I was at the movie theater.

Click to see Spoiler:
    It was the scene when Peeta picked up that huge steel ball during the training sequence. After her threw it, a girl in the theater yelled "Team Peeta!" I usually hate it when people yell at the movie, but I thought that was really cute. And considering how many teenagers were in the theater when I saw the movie, they were amazingly well behaved, no talking and no cell phones.

I saw it in IMAX. Shaky cameras don't usually bother me, this one did in the beginning. It calms down once they get on the train for the games, but the beginning in District 12 is REALLY jumpy and I had a lot of problems with it. I was wondering if it was the IMAX not being able to keep up or something, it was pretty bad. DEFINITELY worth the IMAX, the surround sound really brought you into the action. And made me jump twice as high at one point, ha.
    Wag more, bark less

Just got back from seeing it... loved it! Had no problem with any of the changes or eliminated plot lines except one, and I'm not even going to spoiler it - WTH??? They couldn't find a yellow cat?
    Count your blessings!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    Has anyone seen it on IMAX yet? I am just wondering if my motion sickness pills are necessary or if I can skip it.
    We saw it on IMAX and there were a couple of scenes where it got a bit shaky but not too bad. At least they didn't spin around, so it wasn't bad for me. I think you should be all right.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I saw the movie yesterday, and absolutely loved it. I've read all the books and was eagerly waiting for the movie to come out. Like everyone else has said, the casting was wonderful. They all just seemed to fit their parts really well. I have to say, Stanley Tucci as Caeser is awesome! I love him in general, but he is everything that I imagined that character to be.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw it today with a couple of friends who've read the books. They loved it but I did not. The first half drug by and the second was pretty predictable up until the end. The end was disappointing because
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Peeta needed to get killed.
    Maybe if I'd read the books I'd have a better idea of why I'm supposed to care about any of the characters.

That said, damn Lenny Kravitz is still hot! He doesn't seem to have aged a day since I saw him 15 years ago.

I have not read the books just heard about them. Enjoyed the movie a lot, both young kids and all adult parties attended the 3pm screening I was at. Didn't feel the movie dragged, I do think that there was a lot to set up the actual games and that the director really wanted the audience to see how manipulated the games were from behind the scenes. Do the people that live in the capital provide tribute? I think if they did they would not be so cavalier about other children dying. What amazes is the technology the government has and puts into the games and yet suppresses much of its population by regulating food. The film and its main concept was interesting enough that I do want to see what happens in part 2 and part 3.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was not as much of the shaky camera technique as I thought there would be and it made sense where it was used. I did find the violence not that graphic to the point I wondered did this movie really need a PG-13 rating. I know enough mature 8-10 yr old's who could handle that film.

Woody Harrelson and Donald Sutherland did superb jobs in their parts.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

CCL

The Capitol does not send tributes to the Games. The Tributes are made to be given by the districts in punishment for rising up against the Capitol. The people in the Capitol are rather ridiculous but they are just as enslaved by the government but in a different way; the government gives them bread and circuses (hence Panem) and they in turn don't question the government's control of them.

I'd recommend reading the books as they have more illuminating details (of course), and I did miss some of the things that were left out
    Click to see Spoiler:
    a lot of the Capitol stuff like the party where everyone takes drugs so they can purge and eat more, Madge, the baker (Peeta's father) giving Katniss the cookies, the bread gift from District 11 etc. I seem to be mentioning a lot of food things.
    . But I did enjoy the movie. Jennifer Lawrence was great. I wasn't sure about the actor playing Peeta but he turned out good. Loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna.

It'll be interesting to see how it does money wise. There were a lot of people at the show I went to. Lot of young people but they shut up when the movie started, which was good.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I have not read the books just heard about them. Enjoyed the movie a lot, both young kids and all adult parties attended the 3pm screening I was at. Didn't feel the movie dragged, I do think that there was a lot to set up the actual games and that the director really wanted the audience to see how manipulated the games were from behind the scenes. Do the people that live in the capital provide tribute? I think if they did they would not be so cavalier about other children dying. What amazes is the technology the government has and puts into the games and yet suppresses much of its population by regulating food. The film and its main concept was interesting enough that I do want to see what happens in part 2 and part 3.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that there was not as much of the shaky camera technique as I thought there would be and it made sense where it was used. I did find the violence not that graphic to the point I wondered did this movie really need a PG-13 rating. I know enough mature 8-10 yr old's who could handle that film.

Woody Harrelson and Donald Sutherland did superb jobs in their parts.
    CCL explained the reason the Capitol doesn't send children into the games but I had to comment on the bolded - I've got a 9-year-old DD and wouldn't let her see the movie or read the books nor would some of my friends, who previewed the movie before bringing their children who are the same age as DD. I know everyone's different but there were too many shots of dead children and violence against those children for this to warrant a younger rating, IMO. It reminds me of Lord of the Flies, which I saw as a teenager when it came out, and had problems with it. Truth be told, I think if this has a PG-13 rating, the new movie Bully should have the same (but that's a diff. topic, so I'll stop there).

I, too, was happy the shaky camera work wasn't as bad as other movies. Nothing like feeling sick to your stomach to ruin a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    The Capitol does not send tributes to the Games. The Tributes are made to be given by the districts in punishment for rising up against the Capitol. The people in the Capitol are rather ridiculous but they are just as enslaved by the government but in a different way; the government gives them bread and circuses (hence Panem) and they in turn don't question the government's control of them.

I'd recommend reading the books as they have more illuminating details (of course), and I did miss some of the things that were left out
    Click to see Spoiler:
    a lot of the Capitol stuff like the party where everyone takes drugs so they can purge and eat more, Madge, the baker (Peeta's father) giving Katniss the cookies, the bread gift from District 11 etc. I seem to be mentioning a lot of food things.
    . But I did enjoy the movie. Jennifer Lawrence was great. I wasn't sure about the actor playing Peeta but he turned out good. Loved Lenny Kravitz as Cinna.

It'll be interesting to see how it does money wise. There were a lot of people at the show I went to. Lot of young people but they shut up when the movie started, which was good.
    CCL, your first spoiler actually happens in the second book so maybe we will see it, though I admit I kind of don't want to.

Now I'm ready for Catching Fire and who they cast as Finnick. Out of all the characters, he's the one I care most about their casting. I heard mention of
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Betty White as Mags and think she'd be perfect, though older than the books, but she still looks great for her age!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Just got back and LOVED it...wasn't upset with any of the minor changes from the book. Can't wait to see who ends up playing Finnick as he is my fav. character in the books. I don't think there was a weak link in the cast.
    cantstopwatchin likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread