+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

^ Very cool, Gutmutter. My daughter L. and I have been practicing the Katniss braid.

She very much wanted to go to the 12:01 showing, but I was too worried about the disapproving looks of having an 11 year-old out at that hour on a school night. ( at myself ) We both enjoyed the books and are eager to see the movie.

Just read the first book and am very excited to see the movie! I never knew about the book until a couple of weeks ago. Not sure where I've been! LOL

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

It was great! DH & I really enjoyed it, though he nitpicked about a couple of minor differences but I didn't mind them. It was very, very close to the book and just as engaging.

Aside - Lenny Kravitz rocks. He is just so cool. And Woody Harrelson is Haymitch.
    sweetpea likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Sounds like the casting is dead on in this movie. I truly think that is so important and many think so movies suffer from bad casting and bad editing. Can you imagine Twilight with Jennifer Lawrence instead of Kirsten Stewart as Bella?
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Sounds like the casting is dead on in this movie. I truly think that is so important and many think so movies suffer from bad casting and bad editing. Can you imagine Twilight with Jennifer Lawrence instead of Kirsten Stewart as Bella?
    Not at all! I don't care for K Stewart's acting, but visually she fits the role of Bella very well. (I will grudgingly admit that her acting has improved since the first film. Someone at least told her to stop biting her %&#$ lip!!)

I am excited about the casting in this film as well. Jennifer Lawrence was excellent in Winter's Bone, so I'm looking forward to seeing her in another film. I'm also looking forward to seeing Stanley Tucci as Caesar Flickerman!

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma View Post
    ^ Very cool, Gutmutter. My daughter L. and I have been practicing the Katniss braid.

She very much wanted to go to the 12:01 showing, but I was too worried about the disapproving looks of having an 11 year-old out at that hour on a school night. ( at myself ) We both enjoyed the books and are eager to see the movie.
    I couldn't believe how many of my 5th graders went to the midnight showing - we had our high stakes, state-wide, standardized testing today!!!
    Count your blessings!

I loved it. The cast is spot on. Woody as Haymitch and Lenny as Cinna were especially good, but Jennifer Lawrence WAS Katniss. Her facial expressions were perfect at conveying what she was going through, especially saying goodbye to Cinna and getting in 'the tube' to start the game. I didn't mind any of the differences from the book as I thought it did as good of a job as you can going from page to screen and they made sense. Other than my hesitation at getting too excited because I was so burned by the Twilight movie, my only other hesitation was Peeta. He also did a great job. I can't think of a single cast member that didn't completely inhabit and nail their character. FANTASTIC!!!
    I also liked how they handled the violence. I know it was done to maintain their PG13 rating, but it stayed true to the book where you heard more than you saw. Katniss didn't see each Tribute death, so we didn't either.

I'm going to have to see it again!
    Last edited by Jamie5632; 03-23-2012 at 06:22 PM.
    Wag more, bark less

I'm so glad to read these "real viewers" reviews. I've read a couple online & they haven't been good. One was downright scathing.
    So often Movie Critics just don't like the movies that the public do. I've seen films that they universally loved & either been put to sleep by them or disgusted by them. Gruesome isn't scary or suspense. Graphic sex isn't romance. Beautiful scenery makes for a boring story. Camera angles aren't something I care about.
    I find that the opinions of other "real" people are much more reliable.
    Thanks all of you. I want to see it now.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I'm so glad to read these "real viewers" reviews. I've read a couple online & they haven't been good. One was downright scathing.
    So often Movie Critics just don't like the movies that the public do. I've seen films that they universally loved & either been put to sleep by them or disgusted by them. Gruesome isn't scary or suspense. Graphic sex isn't romance. Beautiful scenery makes for a boring story. Camera angles aren't something I care about.
    I find that the opinions of other "real" people are much more reliable.
    Thanks all of you. I want to see it now.
    I like to go to the Rotten Tomatoes website and at the top of each movie they post how much the critics like vs how much the audience liked it. Sometimes a big difference.

Critics have rated The Hunger Games at 86% and the audience at 95%.

There are some really nasty movie critic reviews and some not in the end you have to decide if you like the movie. The most important thing is word of mouth. I just saw the Lorax and I talked to the manager how was busy was the theater for the HG premiere, she said they had 8 theaters full and 2,000 people there. While I was buying tickets for The Lorax everyone else was buying tickets for The Hunger Games.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 03-23-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Has anyone seen it on IMAX yet? I am just wondering if my motion sickness pills are necessary or if I can skip it.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread