+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

My problem with reading the book first is that I tend to get critical & sometimes even angry at the movie & movie makers.
    I feel & sometimes even say out loud: "It didn't happen like that!!" or "They left out ______ and ______" or "Where's the rest? They left off the reason that _____"
    Also, I tend to be more critical of the casting. If a character isn't like I pictured I don't like it. If I see the movie first, I picture the character like the movie.

I did these things with the Harry Potter movies. As well as they were done & as true as they kept to the story, I nitpicked. Although I must say casting was spot on to the point where I felt Rowling often had the specific actor/actress in mind.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    My problem with reading the book first is that I tend to get critical & sometimes even angry at the movie & movie makers.
    I feel & sometimes even say out loud: "It didn't happen like that!!" or "They left out ______ and ______" or "Where's the rest? They left off the reason that _____"
    Also, I tend to be more critical of the casting. If a character isn't like I pictured I don't like it. If I see the movie first, I picture the character like the movie.

I did these things with the Harry Potter movies. As well as they were done & as true as they kept to the story, I nitpicked. Although I must say casting was spot on to the point where I felt Rowling often had the specific actor/actress in mind.
    Don't get me started complaining about Halle Berry cast as Storm in the X-men franchise. What were they thinking?
    FireWoman likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Silly trivia - Jennifer Lawrence actually auditioned for Bella but they passed her by. I'm sure she's thanking her lucky stars, as am I b/c I think she's going to rock playing Katniss.

I'm a big fan of reading the books beforehand as well - I like to know the story and how it's fleshed out before I see the movie. To me, it's the 'true story' while the movie is just someone's take on it. Yes, comparisons are inevitable and I sometimes get annoyed but I prefer it that way.
    waywyrd likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Silly trivia - Jennifer Lawrence actually auditioned for Bella but they passed her by. I'm sure she's thanking her lucky stars, as am I b/c I think she's going to rock playing Katniss.

I'm a big fan of reading the books beforehand as well - I like to know the story and how it's fleshed out before I see the movie. To me, it's the 'true story' while the movie is just someone's take on it. Yes, comparisons are inevitable and I sometimes get annoyed but I prefer it that way.
    Wow! Interesting... I guess I will spend the first couple of minutes trying to visualize her as Bella.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I'll be going next Sunday morning. I haven't read the books, but the previews look strong. Plus, first matinees are only $5.50 on the weekend so it's not a huge gamble.

We'll be in Vancouver this week for spring break, so we'll hit up a matinee on Friday. Can't wait!

Just finished watching John Carter at the big stadium multi theater cinema in town. They said they have almost totally booked 2 of their theaters and are opening a 3rd to seat The Hunger Games for the Thursday midnight showing. If enough people want it they will show the movie in all 14 theaters. They told me if the demand is high enough on Friday and Saturday they will also do that then.

well first of all I think I need to read the book....books are always better than movie 99% of the time but since they have advertising it so much it does have my interest and I might break down and go see it
    sweetpea and cantstopwatchin like this.
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

a review

‘The Hunger Games’ a highly ambitious, grounded, intelligent, emotionally gratifying blockbuster | Sound On Sight

‘The Hunger Games’ a highly ambitious, grounded, intelligent, emotionally gratifying blockbuster
    Published on March 20, 2012 by Ricky in Headlines, Reviews, Spotlight
    Tagged: Billy Ray, Gary Ross, hunger games, jennifer lawrence, josh hutcherson, Liam Hemsworth, Suzanne Collins

0diggsdigg

The Hunger Games
    Directed by Gary Ross
    Screenplay by Gary Ross, Suzanne Collins and Billy Ray
    2012, USA

In a dystopian future, the Capitol of the nation of Panem randomly selects twenty four of the country’s youngest inhabitants to fight to the death in a yearly event titled The Hunger Games. The film’s tagline – “The World Will Be Watching” – refers to the televised titular contest, which the government uses to maintain order.

Two “tributes” from each of twelves districts, a boy and a girl, must participate until only one is left standing. Sixteen year old Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence) of District 12 (the coal mining district that fuels the Capitol) volunteers in her younger sister’s place, and is left to rely upon her sharp instincts and the mentorship of drunken former Hunger Games victor Haymitch Abernathy (Woody Harrelson) . If she is ever to return home, Katniss must make impossible choices in the arena that weigh survival against morals, humanity, and love.

“The only thing stronger than fear is hope.”

- President Coriolanus Snow, The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games certainly isn’t in need of anymore publicity. Given the disappointing results of John Carter, Games is really the first big movie event of 2012. Collins’s best-selling novel, the first in a trilogy of books, has sold over 26 million copies in the U.S. alone and the novel was featured for more than 180 consecutive weeks on the N.Y. Times bestseller list. As with any project of this magnitude, the question is whether this global phenomena would translate well to the medium of film. The answer to that question is a roaring yes.

This is a highly ambitious, grounded, intelligent, intriguing, thoughtful, emotionally gratifying blockbuster, which doesn’t pander or speak down to its primary target audience – how refreshing is that? Director Gary Ross (Pleasantville, Seabiscuit) doesn’t play by the typical rules of franchise building and abandons a glossy, romanticized mainstream feel opting instead for stark emotional realism. Ross is more concerned with the human element of the story, rather than the spectacle, Hunger Games features a compelling central character and a strong narrative structure, replete with sharp observations about the politics of democracy, authoritarianism and the various dangers of fascism.

It helps that the screenplay was, for the most part, penned by both Ross and the author of the book, Suzanne Collins. The text is thematically provocative, and its allegorical elements are superbly executed, highlighting the way the Games amplify today’s obsession with reality television. The Games represents the Capitol’s twisted idea of mass entertainment as well as the idea of TV as a mode of state control over the populace, so despite its futuristic setting, Hunger Games serves as a timely and effective parable of the way we live today.

Hunger Games is certainly not using an original concept. Apart from the obvious comparison to Kinji Fukasaku’s gloriously sick and twisted masterpiece Battle Royale, one can point out borrowings dating as far back as Richard Connell’s The Most Dangerous Game to Stephen King’s The Running Man, William Golding’s Lord of the Flies, the French flick Le roi des ondes Louis XIX (later remade as The Truman Show) and even Spartacus, a film based on actual events. But despite its well-worn concepts, Ross’s adaptation still feels fresh, and more importantly has something those other stories don’t have: an effective love-triangle of sorts, between Katniss and two vastly different boys. Hunger Games is an unlikely coming-of-age story in which a teenage girl finds love and self-confidence in the deadliest of situations. While Katniss harbours secret feelings for Gale (Liam Hemsworth), her best friend from back home, her relationship with Peeta (Josh Hutcherson) develops and deepens as they fight to survive, thus forming the love triangle that attracted so many readers of the original source material.

Half the battle of filmmaking is proper casting, and matching the right talent to the already well-fleshed out characters of the book wasn’t easy. Ross pulls together an all-star cast who all deliver in spades. At the heart of it all is Jennifer Lawrence, who is astounding, occasionally letting Katniss’s vulnerablity show through, while retaining her overall strength. Katniss is the anti-Bella Swan from Twilight; she is smart, strong, resourceful, self-reliant and never defined by her relationship or lack thereof to a male counterpart.

Ross’s decision to film The Hunger Games with docu-drama/shaky-cam techniques won’t please everyone. Longtime Clint Eastwood collaborator and cinematographer Tom Stern shoots key sequences in this style that would be just as effective if shot with a tripod. It’s also clear that the need for a PG-13 rating likely influenced that aesthetic choice; a film vividly depicting the events of the book would certainly carry an R. It takes some getting used to, and admittedly one is left to wonder why there is so much of it, but somehow it reflects well on the tensions and hostilities of the story. If anything it conveys the immediacy and first person point-of-view from the book. We see flashes of weapons being used, blood splattering, whimpers and cries and sometimes screams – Ross finds every which way to convey the horror without the graphic detail.

The way Ross etches life in District 12 feels authentic and lived-in. Meanwhile in the Capitol, Philip Messina’s production design is consistently impressive creating bold set-pieces, a look he likes to call “retro-futuristic.” Its quite a visual spectacle, as are the costumes and makeup, most notably that of Stanley Tucci playing the darkly funny Caesar Flickman, a cross between the Joker and a future Jay Leno. The score, a joint venture between composer James Newton Howard and executive music producer T Bone Burnett, is fantastic, as is the soundtrack, which features a hauntingly atmospheric track by Arcade Fire.

As for Peeta, there’s a lot to admire about Hutcherson’s performance. He’s an inherently good person, easy on the eyes and packs physical strength, but more importantly we completely believe in his love for Katniss. The film manages to achieve a strong surge of emotion from most of the cast, especially with the youngest tribute, a girl named Rue (played brilliantly by newcomer Amandla Stenberg), responsible for the film’s most powerful scene. And while the entire cast is great, a special mention needs to be made for Lenny Kravitz, the only actor who could, even if for a moment, steal the spotlight from Lawrence.

The Hunger Games is emotionally engaging from start to finish. It’s less than a masterpiece, but it’s deserving of the ubiquity it’ll no doubt earn upon release.

Thanks for posting that review Bearcata! It sounds great. Now I need to avoid letting my hopes get too high...

+ Reply to Thread