+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: The Hunger Games

DH & I are planning to go to a Friday morning showing while all the teenie boppers are in school. I, too, am hoping it doesn't turn into a lovefest like Twilight but I read something last night that gives me hope - Suzanne Collins collaborated with the screenwriter and helped him write the script and he said because of this, it stays very close to the books. I think one of the only things they had to change was the skin tone of Capitol people (no blue or green people) because it didn't look good on screen. But they were really pleased at how close it stayed to the story.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Thanks, Bearcata & the rest of you. It sounds interesting. Sounds like a movie I'd enjoy seeing with my daughter (grown). It also sounds like something I'd like to see before I read the book.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Also good to know is that Katniss is very popular due to her being a kick ass heroine versus Bella of Twilight fame who basically mopes around depressed because Edward is not there for like 90 percent of the entire 4 book saga.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I'll be seeing it, probably more than once. My daughters and I have read the series twice and two of us have Mockingjay pins.
    Count your blessings!

I have tickets to see it on IMAX the week after it opens. The books are excellent, though the 1st one was easily the best, IMO.

Katniss is everything that Bella, in most respects.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs View Post
    I have tickets to see it on IMAX the week after it opens. The books are excellent, though the 1st one was easily the best, IMO.

Katniss is everything that Bella, in most respects.
    Could you expand on this sentence, cause I don't quite get what you mean. Thx.

I am sure she meant 'everything that Bella isn't. I couldn't read twilight because the heroine frustrated me so much with how weak she was. Katniss on the other hand is indeed a kick-butt heroine. Love her.
    waywyrd likes this.

Yep...the word isn't is missing. I guess I shouldn't be taking a final in one window and posting on a message board in another. Thankfully Katniss and Bella weren't on my multiple choice exam.

Bella was the one part of the Twilight books I couldn't stand.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Thanks for clearing that up. I listened to the audiobook version of Twilight during commuting to work and doing housework and running errands other wise I don't think I would have been able to finish reading the series.
    sweetpea likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Yes, Bella drove me nuts as well---why do you like Edward, because he's good looking and rich. Why do you like Jacob? Because he's good looking, fun, was your friend before romance got in the picture, you could live a (semi) normal life with kids, etc., so of course, get suicidal over Edward and his nobility. Not that I didn't read the whole series! Katniss is nothing at all like Bella---a good if tough role model for a girl, but the whole series is gritty, not high school. What do they have in common...not much sex, but with Katniss not even the yearning stuff. Hunger Games are not a romance even though there is love and potential romance in them.

PS Miss Scarlett---I guess it is a matter of personal preference, but I like reading the books first, getting my own picture of the characters first. Or at least read the first--it isn't that long.
    Last edited by PWS; 03-15-2012 at 01:40 AM.
    sweetpea likes this.

+ Reply to Thread