+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: The Hunger Games

Was on a Jet Blue flight today long enough for movies and Hunger Games was one of the choices. There was some glitch when the films started so they let everyone watch whichever one they wanted for free ( there were about a half dozen choices), as long as you had ear phones.... Since I'd seen the movie I just just read a novel, but when I went to the toilet I noticed that every second movie screen was set to Hunger Games--I could totally follow the action as I walked up the aisle!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    He's not what I pictured but we shall see.
    Tony Shalhoub has been tapped to play Beetee and Melissa Leo as Mags. I kind of think Melissa Leo and Amanda Plummer look a bit similar but I'm sure they will style them differently. Plus I pictured Mags as much older than Melissa Leo is (I'd say Leo is in her fifties maybe?).
    Mags is said to "look like she must be at least 80" but I'm sure they can make Melissa look older. I hadn't thought of Tony Shalhoub as Beetee and I'm kind of shocked by the pick but I think he could do a good job.

I'm really excited about this casting news. I love this actress! 'Hunger Games: Catching Fire': Lynn Cohen is Mags | Inside Movies | EW.com
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

That's more like it. Definitely a better choice than Melissa Leo.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Sam Claflin as Finnick- I'm really disappointed about this - he's absolutely nothing like I'd imagined and he's SHORT (5'11"). Nevermind he doesn't seem to have a swimmer's body...I hope he's been working out a lot.

ETA - Let's see if Nathan Adrian or Ryan Lochte or Matt Grevers are available after the Olympics. They obviously have the bodies and looks for it and showed off their flirty/goofy style in the Call Me Maybe video.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 08-04-2012 at 10:48 AM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I am liking the casting so far. I don't really know the person they cast as Finnick but he looks the part.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I have come to the disappointing conclusion that I will not be happy with the remaining movies based purely on casting. My #1 pick for Finnick, Alan Ritchson, (see pictures from page 3) has now been cast as Gloss. WTH were they thinking?? The Hunger Games just posted it on FB and it seems a lot of people agree with me.

I never 'got' the whole need for the perfect Edward when casting Twilight but I think I get it now. Watching Catching Fire is going to be hard, when I'm constantly thinking he would've made the perfect Finnick... I'm not one to dwell on things but this is going to be hard when they were so close...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Just wanted to drop in and say if anyone is buying The Hunger Games DVD the 3 disc target edition is awesome. I love the extra stuff on the third DVD.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Occasional commenter WrigleyDogA2's Avatar

I'm a little late to this party - but I finally watched the movie and now I feel like I need to re-read the books! A few thoughts:
    1) I thought the casting was spot on! I wasn't too sure about Peeta at the beginning; but, the actor grew on me and I like him now.
    2) I wish we could have been in Katniss's head more. In the book you learn a lot of things through her thoughts and I kind of missed that.
    SpringMaiden27 likes this.

I've been disappointed with all of the casting, actually. After reading the books, Jennifer Lawrence is an Amazon compared to what I imagined Katniss to be. And when you see Josh Hutcherson beside her at premieres, not even at her shoulder, I just think- Wrong! I think that hemsworth would have been a better Peeta, and someone else entirely for Gale. The ONLY two casting choices I agreed with for the first movie were Woody Harrelson as Haymitch and Lenny Kravitz as Cinna. They were incredibly perfect for their roles! With a different Peeta, I wouldn't have minded Jennifer Lawrence, but I think the choice for Peeta was WAY off!

+ Reply to Thread