+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

I never even heard of it until all the controversy came up that Collins must have plagiarized it. Considering it was a book written in Japanese, published in Japan in 1999 and then made into a Japanese movie and manga series in 2000 I am sure everyone in the entire world must have read it and seen the movie.

Thing is I have seen it many times before when several authors all get the same idea and write a story about it. Some of the novels, suck, some are OK some are great.

Battle Royale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since its release, the novel and its film adaptation have had an influence on later works. These include filmmakers such as Quentin Tarantino,[11][12] most notably his Kill Bill films;[13] the character Gogo Yubari, played by Chiaki Kuriyama, is similar to the character she plays in the Battle Royale film, Takako Chigusa.[14] V.A. Musetto of the New York Post also compared it to The Condemned, which the critic called "a bad rip-off" of Battle Royale as well as The Most Dangerous Game.[15] Critics have also noted the influence of Battle Royale on other later works, such as the 2008 film Kill Theory,[16] the 2009 film The Tournament,[17] and the novel and film franchise The Hunger Games.[18][19] Battle Royale has also been compared to the manga, anime and film franchise Gantz,[20] and the 2007 video game The World Ends with You.[21]

The 2008 American young adult novel The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins has been accused of being strikingly similar to Battle Royale in terms of the basic plot premise and the world within the book. While Collins maintains that she "had never heard of that book until her book was turned in", Susan Dominus of The New York Times reports that "the parallels are striking enough that Collins's work has been savaged on the blogosphere as a baldfaced ripoff," but argued that "there are enough possible sources for the plot line that the two authors might well have hit on the same basic setup independently."[22] The general consensus in the time since has been one of amicable controversy, especially since the release of the The Hunger Games film adaptation. Battle Royale author Takami said he appreciated fans "standing up" for his book, but stated that he thinks "every novel has something to offer," and that if "readers find value in either book, that's all an author can ask for."[23]
    Now that is an author with some sense.
    Jamie5632 likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Just an FYI: The Hunger Games cost $78 million to make and as of April 29, 2012 has made $603,526,998 worldwide.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Just saw Monte Carlo, and Luke Bracey would be a perfect Finnick! Even my husband agrees!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Just a reminder that in OUR society people pay to watch cage fighting.... And with what we now know about the effects of concussions I don't see any fall off in interest in boxing and football. And with reality TV? Seems to me this is clearly about our society....

I just read a non-fiction book set in late-19th century Paris and one of the places where people went for "entertainment" - and I'm talking many thousands of people every year - was the morgue. It was open to the public and people would flock there in droves to see the bodies.

I guess my point is that an obsession with death and a jadedness about it isn't new. It's just that now we can watch it on TV (mainly fictionalized, but still realistic) instead of seeing it in person. We like to pretend we're more civilized, but we're not. Watching teenagers - children - kill each other on TV isn't that far of a leap from some of the crap we already see on TV. How many people have said they'd watch executions if they were broadcast on television? It's sickening, but it's an ugly truth about human nature. Collins has just tapped into that and taken it a bit further. If people are uncomfortable with it, that's probably a good thing.
    spockwhat likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Finally got to Hunger Games last night...locally they are down to one showing a day, at 1145 at night, with only about 5 people in the theater, so I almost missed it, but earlier couldn't shake a cough that would have enraged other patrons.
    Anyway, thought it was really quite good, and very close to the book. I did see in the credits that an Avox appeared, but unless she was one of the many servants during the Capital period I didn't see her, and if she was missed that she was an Avox. Thought Katnis was very well cast and Gale is quite the hunk.
    Sat way in back and popped half a dramamine I was so worried about the hand held camera thing, but it was fine for me...guess it didn't last long enough to get to my tummy--so for anyone else who's sensitive, it's doable.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Finally got to Hunger Games last night...locally they are down to one showing a day, at 1145 at night, with only about 5 people in the theater, so I almost missed it, but earlier couldn't shake a cough that would have enraged other patrons.
    Anyway, thought it was really quite good, and very close to the book. I did see in the credits that an Avox appeared, but unless she was one of the many servants during the Capital period I didn't see her, and if she was missed that she was an Avox. Thought Katnis was very well cast and Gale is quite the hunk.
    Sat way in back and popped half a dramamine I was so worried about the hand held camera thing, but it was fine for me...guess it didn't last long enough to get to my tummy--so for anyone else who's sensitive, it's doable.
    She was the red-headed servant in the Capital. I read that they really wanted to include some of that story in the film, but just didn't have time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

So I just read online that Robert Pattison will not play Finnick in Catching Fire. All I can say is, Thank God. *shudder*
    Duxxy, mushybrain and AZChristian like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    So I just read online that Robert Pattison will not play Finnick in Catching Fire. All I can say is, Thank God. *shudder*
    I'll second that. I don't dislike the guy, but he's not Finnick.

Everytime I see him, I look for "sparkles."
    sweetpea and AZChristian like this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

I'm dying to know who they'll cast for Catching Fire! I'm sure there will be some headscratchers, but they did such a good job with Hunger Games, I trust the decisions. I just want to know already

+ Reply to Thread