+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Description of Rue from the book: "She has bright, dark eyes and satiny brown skin . . . "

And Thresh, also from District 11, is described as having "the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance shops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and a half feet tall . . . "

It totally made my jaw drow when people were complaining about the casting of the movie, because they didn't expect Rue to be black. Huh? I thought the casting was perfect.
    I said I was probably just ditzy and you confirmed it. Reading that I wonder how I messed that up in my head because it's obvious. Guess that's why I had to take remedial reading while being in advanced English classes all at the same time. Those pesky details I overlook get me every time.
    AZChristian likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by spockwhat View Post
    You are totally right about the reality tv aspect. I didn't think of that straight off. You are right on that there are PLENTY of people who would watch. I think we are fortunte enough that it wouldn't be allowed in our countries (US and Canada) and I'm relieved for that. There are still many countries where people will come out to view a public execution (whether for a criminal or political act)... so I do think you're right.
    I know I'm being an anti-social type here, but I won't read the book and won't watch the movie for this reason. From what I have read about the book's subject, I do see it as commentary about how countries outside the great capitalists use their children as cannon fodder (think Iran during the Iran/Iraq war.) That hunting and killing human beings is set up for a viewers reality pleasure is beyond anything I can sanely tolerate. She may have written a book to get people talking about how this could happen, but the message is being lost in the pretty actors; which may be unfair since I haven't and won't watch the movie.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I've read the books and seen the movie and IMO, it's not a commentary on other cultures, it's a commentary on OURS.
    spockwhat and AZChristian like this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've read the books and seen the movie and IMO, it's not a commentary on other cultures, it's a commentary on OURS.
    I agree. That message is sent pretty directly by the previously-discussed scene with Cato saying he wanted to win. It's a different kind of ugliness than you might see in some other cultures, but it's there all the same.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Completely agree with your observations, Arielflies....one of the very reasons I can't/won't read the book or movie. ( I did try reading it but didn't get very far).
    In addition, I can't read/watch anything that has the killing of children. It's more than enough that we have to realize that this happens in other countries.
    Also, I can't get behind anything as horrific as watching any kind of killing...I'll never understand people who want to watch televised executions.

But I'm not sure I understand what others are implying by connecting The Capitol in the book, to Capitalism. JMHO

CCL

Some people have compared the Occupy movement with the book/movie. The idea that the 99 % are suffering while the 1% live high on the hog. The comparison doesn't really hold true, though, as Panem is not a capitalistic society. Capitalism presupposes the free movement of goods and people, which is not a option in Panem, even for the citizens of the Capitol; Panem is more akin to a tyranny.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FoRTer

I understand the points of those who don't care for the subject matter... although I did enjoy the book and movie. Without the grim "realities" of the Games, the themes of integrity and character and especially "no greater love than to lay down your life for a brother" wouldn't be as strong, in my opinion. There are some very positive messages amongst the heartbreak in there.
    sweetpea and AZChristian like this.

Has anyone watched the Japanese film Battle Royale? It was made in 2001, and I have been hearing people say The Hunger Games is essentially a "rip off". It just recently was released on DVD, and I have it on my Netflix queue but it is listed as "Very Long Wait". I am guessing they probably only got a couple of copies of it, and underestimated the interest.

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    Has anyone watched the Japanese film Battle Royale? It was made in 2001, and I have been hearing people say The Hunger Games is essentially a "rip off". It just recently was released on DVD, and I have it on my Netflix queue but it is listed as "Very Long Wait". I am guessing they probably only got a couple of copies of it, and underestimated the interest.
    I hadn't even heard of it, but the description sure is familiar:
    When even schoolchildren begin to abuse a system on the verge of social collapse, the Japanese government introduces a strict new punishment whereby randomly chosen students are taken to a deserted island and forced to fight each other to the death.
    I bet Netflix will buy more copies now!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan

I watched Battle Royale years ago. It's a very good movie, cheesy like the Godzilla movies but good. I wouldn't be surprised if Collins was influenced by it

+ Reply to Thread