+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

Wow, this movie cost $78 million to make and as of this weekend has earned $306,593,939 domestically. That is amazing.
    AZChristian likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    The scene with Cato at the end when he had Peeta in the chokehold was really heartbreaking. He said something like "I really wanted to win." For me, that one fleeting moment humanized Cato and made him a more tragic and sympathetic character, knowing that as a "career" he had trained his whole life to be a tribute and win the "game." I found that part very sad, and thought the actor portraying him was great.
    Such a pivotal part of the movie! It really showed how they are all victims.

I've been doing a lot of reading of articles about the books and movies, and I have to say, it bothers me that they talk about the books being purely dystopian and futuristic. So much of the Hunger Games is representative of what we are experiencing in our world AT PRESENT... it seems to be overlooked consistantly. I can think of at least two ways that the books represent our current society:

First: just now, in our world, a child killed another child. According to War Child, 1 in 10 people involved in acts of war is a child. They are killing each other, and the violence is brutal. The greatest difference is that it is not being done for our entertainment... but it is still a harsh reality of our world. Child soldiers are raised to be killers, as Cato stated... "it's the only thing I know how to do." Same with the current child soldiers in our society.

Second: Hunger, of course, is a major theme of these books. The children of the districts suffer starvation, while the Capitol lives in excess.... from food to fashion, you name it, they have it. This sounds eerily familiar of our own world's separation between it's first class and third class societies. Children work for little to nothing so our products can be cheaper. It's just the way it is. I think Collins meant to make a statement, and unfortunately, I feel it's being lost on many people.

Case in point, I went to see the movie, and I LOVED it. What I didn't love was the giggling teens in the back who giggled through the whole movie and yelled out "Peeta" everytime Katniss did.
    I didn't love the picture I saw this morning in MacCleans magazine. An 8(?) year old girl sat in a chair outside the theatre with a line up behind her. It was a face painting booth, and all the little children were getting their faces painted with fake blood. For fun! Before they went into see a movie that their parents probably didn't understand. How do you sit with a smile plastered on your face with fake blood on it when somewhere children have real blood on their faces? It reminded me eerily of the scene in the movie where Katniss sees the little Capitol children running around with swords fake killing each other. Why is it called the Capitol anyway? Think capitalism is a stretch? Not in relation to the themes of the movies, I don't think so.

I know this is depressing, but I feel like I would be remiss to not say something of what these books mean to me. I do not feel it is coincidence, and I would be curious to what Collins would have to say about all of it.
    Last edited by spockwhat; 04-11-2012 at 11:03 AM.

spockwhat, I think you are spot-on with your observations. I, too, think the theme in the books is a commentary on today's world. I would also add the phenomenon of reality TV, and how it has become increasingly crass and exploitive, into the mix. I have no doubt that plenty of people would tune into a fight-to-the-death television show. It is depressing.

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Doyu Gems Champion, Alu`s Revenge Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, BejeweledŽ 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mushybrain View Post
    spockwhat, I think you are spot-on with your observations. I, too, think the theme in the books is a commentary on today's world. I would also add the phenomenon of reality TV, and how it has become increasingly crass and exploitive, into the mix. I have no doubt that plenty of people would tune into a fight-to-the-death television show. It is depressing.
    You are totally right about the reality tv aspect. I didn't think of that straight off. You are right on that there are PLENTY of people who would watch. I think we are fortunte enough that it wouldn't be allowed in our countries (US and Canada) and I'm relieved for that. There are still many countries where people will come out to view a public execution (whether for a criminal or political act)... so I do think you're right.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Wow, this movie cost $78 million to make and as of this weekend has earned $306,593,939 domestically. That is amazing.
    Plus 45 million for promotion costs. Still a great return though.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan

Going back to Jennifer's size, I think it was maybe her height that had people commenting on her weight as much as her actual weight. After all, by the third book, it talks about her 13 year old sister being as tall as the 17 year old Katniss. I really did picture her being maybe about the height of the girl who played Clove (who I LOVED) for a lot of reasons, partially because Prim needs to match her height by book three, partially because she's described as being 50 lbs lighter than most of the female Career tributes/Clove is able to physically overpower her, partially because she is able to climb to very thin branches and partially (and very traditionally) because I like the male lead to be taller than the female. Silly, I know, but it jarred me out of the movie a bit every time I saw Peeta and Katniss standing next to each other and she looked taller than him (maybe a bit due to camera angles, but also because it seems to me like JL had great posture and Josh doesn't-makes her look a little taller and him a little shorter) But I NEVER had a problem with her weight. Katniss is supposed to eat better than most of the people in her district. Yeah, she has her 'hollow' days, but she shouldn't be a skeleton. I think a lot of people read 'short' and assumed 'scrawny'. She does have the strength to draw a bow, run around for hours, and drag full grown deer back to her district, which doesn't indicate emaciatedness to me. Plus the girl playing Clove looked height/weight comparable to JL, but her being so much shorter and the smaller role made people overlook that fact.

As for the other actors/controversies. I thought it was pretty clear Rue was black in the book. I don't remember much of Thresh's description, but I remember not being surprised at all that they went with a black actor for the movie, so there must have been something along those lines in the book. As far as Cinna, I never remember much of a description besides 'gold eyeliner', 'style', and elegance. Aside from those salivating over just getting to see Lenny Kravitz at ALL (and I agree there...yummy) I think he definitely captures the style and elegance of Cinna. Those people who seriously had a problem with black actors, especially in this day and age, are disgusting.

Not a lot of talk about the minor characters-I loved Elizabeth Banks' total transformation into Effie. I think she really captured the ridiculousness of the Capital. And while Wes Bentley and Donald Sutherland were very understated in their looks, they were amazing in their roles. Those were some of my favorite scenes, the ones between them, and the 'backstage' looks at the gamemaker's production room. That was the great part of the transformation from book to movie-in the book, we never get anything but Katniss' point of view but those scenes added so much depth.

Overall, emotionally, I loved pretty much all the actors. There were only some instances-relative to other actors (Peeta standing next to Katniss) where I kinda wished they coul just shrink/grow some of them. Still, the actors themselves were fabulous-Josh's facial expressions, JL's shivering while waiting to be sent into the arena, Stanley Tucci's huge grins at the start of every 'broadcast', Woody's drawling "sweetheart"... I don't know that there was any actor who emotionally didn't fit my expectations of the role, whatever their physical qualities.

Too bad Gary Ross won't stay on for Catching Fire because that's my favorite of the trilogy, but I understand it was more creative than money. I guess he's used to years between projects, and with a series like this that takes place in such a short period of time and that involved young actors (and where your lead already has other commitments) I can understand why he won't be directing the next installment. I love his style, and I hope they get someone similar to him.

Quote Originally Posted by pretlitdev View Post
    As for the other actors/controversies. I thought it was pretty clear Rue was black in the book. I don't remember much of Thresh's description, but I remember not being surprised at all that they went with a black actor for the movie, so there must have been something along those lines in the book. As far as Cinna, I never remember much of a description besides 'gold eyeliner', 'style', and elegance. Aside from those salivating over just getting to see Lenny Kravitz at ALL (and I agree there...yummy) I think he definitely captures the style and elegance of Cinna. Those people who seriously had a problem with black actors, especially in this day and age, are disgusting.
    It was only obvious that Rue was black if you're not ditzy like me. I don't know how she's actually described but I wonder if it's dark skinned. I was picturing someone with 'dark' skin like someone from the Mediterranean. My husband has that kind of skin and that's what I pictured. Compared to me since I'm white (as a ghost as kids teased in Jr. High) my husband has really dark skin, obviously not as dark as black. It's just a matter of perspective at that point. However, as soon as I saw Rue in the movie I knew it had been a big duh moment. It made perfect sense, but not at all what I pictured. My friend that I was at the movie with though said that black was how she'd always pictured Rue.

Is Gary Ross the one responsible for the shaky cameras? I hated that and hope that changes. My friend's dad actually got motion sick from it and had to leave the movie.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Description of Rue from the book: "She has bright, dark eyes and satiny brown skin . . . "

And Thresh, also from District 11, is described as having "the same dark skin as Rue, but the resemblance shops there. He's one of the giants, probably six and a half feet tall . . . "

It totally made my jaw drow when people were complaining about the casting of the movie, because they didn't expect Rue to be black. Huh? I thought the casting was perfect.

CCL

I won't miss the shaky cam but I'm a bit worried that they're planning to start filming in a few months with no director, no final script yet...at the very least, there's a lot of sets to imagine and build...
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

FORT Fan

I wonder how many sets they would have to build-the Victors' Village yes, but the rest of District 12 is already there.

Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm not sure that we'll see a lot of the other districts during the Victory Tour since they were mostly glossed over in the book. District 11 was the only one Collins spent a lot of time on, and they seem to already have sets for that. I'm more interested in how they imagine the new arena, but I'd guess that they approach it in the same way-use natural landscapes and leave the fantastical stuff to post production

I'm not too worried about not having a director YET. The one thing I hope is that whatever new director signs on, they stay faithful to the spirit of Ross. Overall I didn't mind the director changes in the HP series, but there were some details that drove me nuts-like how the Whomping Willow moves from inside the castle walls in movie two to out on a hillside in three. Although I loved what each director brought to the HP movies, you could clearly tell when a different director came on board.

I'm also not worried about the lack of a final script. I'd bet a lot that they started working on the Catching Fire script as soon as they wrapped on HG, and Collins IS on board to keep them in line. Plus, I don't think its that unusual for there to be a lot of script changes up to the last minute-I know in the extra features on the Lord Of The Rings movies they talk about getting rewrites pretty much every day of filming. Guess we'll see. I can't WAIT for the next movie, it was my favorite of the three books

+ Reply to Thread