+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: The Hunger Games

People are crazy if they thought J.L. was too "fat" for the movie. In my mind, I pictured her just as she was - muscular with some meat on her bones compared with the others of District 12. After all, she's actually got something to eat every day compared to them so there should be something to distinguish her from them...

The only character I disliked as far as casting was Liam Hemsworth, which is really silly b/c I like his brother, Chris but, to me, he'll always be Mr. Miley Cyrus and I'm not a fan of hers so it rubbed off onto him. And I did picture President Snow as taller but I think Donald Sutherland was great.

It really bothered me that people tweeted about the skin color of Rue, Thresh, and Cinna. I loved that there was a website set up, where they "outted" tweeters and their disgusting comments.

When I first saw Rue & Tresh, I thought they were perfect and exactly what I'd pictured. I'd never thought of Cinna as black but, really, who cares? DH and I had a discussion about this b/c he was asking me who I pictured as certain people. I'm weird b/c I never really think of people's faces too much - I've got a vague picture but nothing clearly defined. Their personality has more of a hold on me than their looks. If someone can grab the "essence" of who I think the character is, then I'm happy as a clam. And I think all of these actors/actresses did just that.

Now, Finnick, OTOH, is going to be more of a problem b/c I picture my ex-BIL as far as looks b/c he also had Finnick's personality (though he ended up being a major tool) so I'm not sure how they'll live up to that. Alex Pettyfer is being thrown around for Finnick, which would be fine for me since he looks like ex-BIL, but Alex seems too brooding to me...

I read that filming will start back up in Asheville in late July/early August, which means they really need to figure out who Finnick will be (can you tell I'm obsessed with it-lol). I'm really bummed b/c my ILs have a mountain house just outside of Asheville that would be the perfect place to hang out at so we could visit the set. Only, they rented it out for a year - drat them!
    Cootie likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought sure it was, but maybe it's just because of everything else, including his name. Based on the description of him, I just imagined him as having caramel-colored skin, although a little sleeker and less muscled than Lenny Kravitz. I thought LK did a great job though.

I think a lot of people had problems with Rue because of how much she reminded Katniss of Prim. Maybe people just imagined that she looked just like Prim instead of just being the same age and having similar qualities to her.

I thought ALL of the actors did well. No one stood out for me as bad casting. I thought the actor who played Cato did a great job. Not many of the other tributes has much to do in the movie but die and he stood out for me.

The other thing that has bothered me is user comments under so many articles calling Jennifer Lawrence fat. Are they kidding? That girl is gorgeous. I'd LOVE to be that fat. She's probably no more than a size 6. I saw an interview with her a while back where she said that she'd rather look a bit chubby on camera and look like a normal person in real life. That made me like her more, although I don't think she looks chubby at all.

Has anyone heard when and if they start filming for Catching Fire?
    Now, Clove was the standout tribute for me - so disturbingly bloodthirsty, and simply evil. She was the main character in Orphan. Brilliantly creepy.

I clearly remembered Rue being black so I was quite surprised to hear there were viewers who had an issue with it (not to mention it's weird that it would bother anyone, anyway). I didn't have a clear picture in my head of Cinna, but I'm very happy to see Lenny Kravitz any time.

This Chubbygate issue is new to me. JL's size didn't register with me when I was watching. I've seen movies where the actor's body size was vital to the story - Christian Bale in The Machinist comes to mind - but I don't think it's as big a deal for the role of Katniss. The character's toughness and prowess with a bow & arrow were the significant physical characteristics.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I had no idea who Alex Pettyfer was, so looked him up. He could certainly play Finnick (he's really good looking!) but I think they would need to darken his hair a bit, no? I also thought Clove and Cato were perfectly cast. They both scared the bejeebus out of me!

And despite his height, I really think the actor playing Peeta nailed his character, so I heartily approve of the casting.

Trailers and pic for this film have been out for quiet a while so why only now are we hearing about the color or non color of Rue. Why are we only now hearing about Jennifer Lawrence and her size or non size. It doesn't make any sense.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    I had no idea who Alex Pettyfer was, so looked him up. He could certainly play Finnick (he's really good looking!) but I think they would need to darken his hair a bit, no?
    He's also an arrogant douchebag, complete with a tattoo that says "Thank you" above his crotch (just in case he forgets to say it. *gag*). I don't want to see him have any more success, much less as Finnick, a character I really like.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

He's also an arrogant douchebag, complete with a tattoo that says "Thank you" above his crotch (just in case he forgets to say it. *gag*). I don't want to see him have any more success, much less as Finnick, a character I really like.
    Are. You. Kidding. Me?

UGH. They better not cast him now, as I would be glaring at the screen and muttering "***hole" under my breath the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea View Post
    Are. You. Kidding. Me?

UGH. They better not cast him now, as I would be glaring at the screen and muttering "***hole" under my breath the whole time.
    Sadly, I'm not. http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-...attoos-2011284

He's like a character out of a Bret Easton Ellis novel....only with worse morals.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Sadly, I'm not. Alex Pettyfer Shows Off His Raunchy Tattoos - UsMagazine.com

He's like a character out of a Bret Easton Ellis novel....only with worse morals.
    Actually, the tattoo says his name in Japanese Kanji.

Alex Pettyfer Says He's 'Misunderstood' | PopEater.com

He said that when he told the man doing the interview what it said the man responded with "that's boring" so he said the next thing as a joke and the article ran with it.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

Ah, well, I stand corrected on the tattoo. I still think he's a douchebag for even thinking that joke was remotely funny. Plus, who tattoos their own name on their body? That's only slightly less douchebaggy than the other tattoo. Plus, he seems to be cutting a swath of destruction through women. Now he's "engaged" to Elvis's granddaughter. Not all that long ago it was Emma Roberts (I think) and before that, Dianna Agron. He does have a reputation of being an arrogant jerk. Even if he was super talented, that wouldn't be cool, but he's marginal at best. I'd think it would be better to act like a professional. Obviously, I'm not a fan!

I didn't really see a specific actor in mind for Finnick when I read the book, although I think Liam Hemsworth is pretty close to him, physically. He's much closer to Finnick than to Gale really, as far as book descriptions go.

I have read the first book and am almost finished with the second, I thought the movie was pretty true to the book, very slight things were changed/left out which is pretty good compared to other adaptions I've seen.

I like Jennifer Lawrence, thought she did good as Katniss, but I have more an issue with the fact she doesn't look young enough for the character.

+ Reply to Thread