+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Re: The Hunger Games

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd View Post
    We finally got time to see it today - I loved it. The casting was spot on (though I agree with an earlier post that said Peeta seemed too short ). I think it did help that I had already read the trilogy, but my husband the non-reader enjoyed it just as much. I didn't know it was that long until I looked at the time in the car - those two-plus hours flew by. I think they did very well in keeping with the essence of the book, even if they had to leave smaller subplots out.

And that had to be one of the very few movies I've watched in a theater where it was dead silent during important scenes. During the Reaping scene, the chariot entrance and Rue's death you could hear a pin drop. No candy noise, whispering, texting. Everyone was enthralled.
    Just wait until movies 2 and 3 when he's in scenes with Liam Hemsworth who's 6'5"! At 5'7", he'll look like a Hobbit! I thought the casting was very good, even though many of the actors didn't resemble the characters as they were described in the book. I'm okay with that as long as the actor can portray the spirit of the character.

I saw it today as well and my experience was like yours. No talking, no texting or whispering. Laughing at the appropriate times, gasps at Rue's last scene, etc. and the theater was packed because it was the bargain matinee. It was really nice! It helped that I went with a friend who also doesn't talk in movies either.

I was disappointed that some of the little details were left out, but I understand why that had to be done. Of course, I wouldn't have minded if it was 3 hours and I don't think anyone in the theater where I saw it would have minded either!

I didn't think it was about reality TV. It was only like Survivor in the setting. I thought of The Running Man too. For me, it's more a commentary on our culture and how we watch so much violence (real and fictionalized) on TV and how we've become more and more inured to it. We see stories pretty regularly of people taping themselves beating or killing someone and the video ends up online. It's not that far a step to the bloodthirstiness of Panem.

The thing that I find disturbing is the whole controversy on Twitter with people complaining about Rue and Thresh (and some about Cinna) being played by black actors, particularly the ones that said that they cared less about Rue's demise because she was played by a black actress. I guess I shouldn't be shocked that people are so stupidly racist, although I'm not shocked at all that people have no reading comprehension. All three are described as having dark or darker skin. When I read the books, I imagined that Rue was darker-skinned than she was in the movie. I saw one tweet asking something like "Since when is Rue black?" and someone replied "Since page 45." (can't remember the specific page)

2boysmom - I saw New Year's Eve in a theater with a bunch of obnoxious teenagers laughing and being loud and thinking they were so cute and clever. My friend, who has two teenage boys, said (very loudly) "For godsake, will you shut up?" People around us thanked her profusely and those kids were quiet for the rest of the movie! She went "full mom" on them and it worked!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

CCL

Cinna's race is apparently not described in thr book, just his eye colour and hair colour. I always pictured Cinna as black but, interestingly enough ( well, for me at least), I pictured him as looking like this older character actor whose name I do not know. Similarly, I picture Finnick as this blonde Australian actor who must be forty-something...and Finnick is 24 with bronze hair. There was an article recently that posited that a reader's imagining of a character's appearance, even if that appearance is well-described, will often be at odds with the image the author gives and will, in that case, supersede that of the author. Which I find is true for me at least. Of course I don't remember where I read the article or I'd post a link. Sigh.
    Note, I'm not saying that people's frankly racist tweets regarding the actors playing Cinna, Rue and Thresh were in any way right (and all were good, particularly Rue and Cinna) just that it's interesting that people picture characters differently.
    Bless Josh Hutcherson and his shortness (Libby Gellman in Entertainment Weekly said she could imagine Jennifer Lawrence swinging him onto her shoulder in the arena and saving him (or something like that)). He wasn't my image of Peeta when reading the books but he just captured the essence so well now I can't imagine anyone else. I'm sure they will work around his height when filming with Liam, angles and stuff. I still don't see Liam Hemsworth as Gale but he wasn't in the first movie much anyways.
    Last edited by CCL; 04-01-2012 at 12:19 AM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Cinna's race is apparently not described in thr book, just his eye colour and hair colour. I always pictured Cinna as black but, interestingly enough ( well, for me at least), I pictured him as looking like this character actor whose name I do not know. Similarly, I picture Finnick as this blonde Australian actor who is forty-something...and Finnick is 24 with bronze hair. There was an article recently that posited that a reader's imagining of a character's appearance, even if that appearance is well-described, will often be at odds with the image the author intended and will, in that case, supersede that of the author. Note, I'm not saying that people's frankly racist tweets regarding the actors playing Cinna, Rue and Thresh were in any way right (and all were good, particularly Rue and Cinna) just that it's interesting that people picture characters differently.
    I thought sure it was, but maybe it's just because of everything else, including his name. Based on the description of him, I just imagined him as having caramel-colored skin, although a little sleeker and less muscled than Lenny Kravitz. I thought LK did a great job though.

I think a lot of people had problems with Rue because of how much she reminded Katniss of Prim. Maybe people just imagined that she looked just like Prim instead of just being the same age and having similar qualities to her.

I thought ALL of the actors did well. No one stood out for me as bad casting. I thought the actor who played Cato did a great job. Not many of the other tributes has much to do in the movie but die and he stood out for me.

The other thing that has bothered me is user comments under so many articles calling Jennifer Lawrence fat. Are they kidding? That girl is gorgeous. I'd LOVE to be that fat. She's probably no more than a size 6. I saw an interview with her a while back where she said that she'd rather look a bit chubby on camera and look like a normal person in real life. That made me like her more, although I don't think she looks chubby at all.

Has anyone heard when and if they start filming for Catching Fire?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I thought sure it was, but maybe it's just because of everything else, including his name. Based on the description of him, I just imagined him as having caramel-colored skin, although a little sleeker and less muscled than Lenny Kravitz. I thought LK did a great job though.

I think a lot of people had problems with Rue because of how much she reminded Katniss of Prim. Maybe people just imagined that she looked just like Prim instead of just being the same age and having similar qualities to her.

I thought ALL of the actors did well. No one stood out for me as bad casting. I thought the actor who played Cato did a great job. Not many of the other tributes has much to do in the movie but die and he stood out for me.

The other thing that has bothered me is user comments under so many articles calling Jennifer Lawrence fat. Are they kidding? That girl is gorgeous. I'd LOVE to be that fat. She's probably no more than a size 6. I saw an interview with her a while back where she said that she'd rather look a bit chubby on camera and look like a normal person in real life. That made me like her more, although I don't think she looks chubby at all.

People are calling Jennifer Lawrence "fat" are they insane, on drugs, or visually impaired. Like you Critical, I would like to be as "fat" as Jennifer Lawrence. Comments like that just confirm that people are nuts.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Found a great reply.

Hunger Games -- Jennifer Lawrence Too Fat For Katniss Role?

BY Kirstin Benson7.22 PM EDT 03.29.2012
    Critics Are Nuts! Jennifer Lawrence Was Not ‘Too Fat’ For ‘Hunger Games’

It’s unbelievable to me people are complaining about Jennifer Lawrence’s body size after she did such a remarkable job portraying Katniss Everdeen in ‘The Hunger Games!’ It’s trivial and useless to even point that out!

Some of the country’s most-read critics — including ones from the New York Times and The Hollywood Reporter — have gone on record commenting on Jennifer Lawrence‘s normal-sized figure in The Hunger Games and how she doesn’t fit Katniss Everdeen’s skinny body type. Not only are these comments inappropriate, they are detrimental to any advances the 21-year-old actress has made in helping girls with body dysmorphia!

“A few years ago Ms. Lawrence might have looked hungry enough to play Katniss, but now, at 21, her seductive, womanly figure makes a bad fit for a dystopian fantasy about a people starved into submission,” Manohla Dargis wrote in the Times.

Her sentiment was echoed by Todd McCarthy of The Hollywood Reporter, who referred to Jennifer’s “lingering baby fat.”

Although I find it catty to comment on the talented actress’s weight at all, these highly influential writers could have reworded their thoughts and said “although Jennifer didn’t fit the physical description of Suzanne Collins‘s character…” and we would have gotten the point.

Yes, Katniss comes from a poor district. Yes, she is described as painfully thin. No, Jennifer isn’t a rail. But let’s be honest: did it really affect the storytelling in any capacity? No.

A writer on the site BlissTree, Briana Rognlin, was also upset about the Jennifer body controversy and made a point that struck a chord with me. ”When female characters are meant to be ugly, old or fat, we’ll easily ignore discrepancies (because who would want to actually hire an actress who’s any of those things?),” she said. “But if a character is meant to be emaciated or sick, we feel conned if she hasn’t made herself those things in real life.”

People are hyper-focusing on a small detail, which is doing more harm than good. There’s nothing constructive about calling Jennifer “thick” or “too normal” at this point. News flash: she was already cast; the film has already been shot and we’ve all already seen it. It’s not like Lionsgate is going to pick up the phone, call her and demand she drop 20 pounds so she can finally look how Katniss is supposed to in book one. Get over it already.

The best part? Jennifer knows she’s not a runway model and totally owns it. In fact, she embraces it.

“I’m totally normal. You see these 12 and 13 year olds ordering salads with dressing on the side and thinking they need to be on a diet,” she told UK Marie Claire. “I do want the stick-thin trend to end.”

Jennifer, we need more young actresses as level-headed and healthy as you. Keep up the good work.

Yours in “normal” solidarity,

Kirstin
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Regular

"Are they kidding? That girl is gorgeous."

I'd do the hippity dippity with her.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by Critical

Filming in Fall 2012 for a release date in November 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Filming in Fall 2012 for a release date in November 2013.
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to 2, but I'm looking forward to 3 the most!

CCL

They're planning to split book 3 into two films.

I thought the 3rd book was the weakest, so I'm a little surprised they are splitting it into two movies. Just doesn't seem to be enough material there, IMO.

Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely gorgeous, IMO, and it's stupid and nitpicky for these critics to say she isn't emaciated enough for the role. I feel like some critics just want to b*tch and moan.... Yes, in the books district 12 is very poor and they aren't getting enough to eat. But Katniss was doing well hunting and providing for her family, so while she obviously wouldn't be overweight she would not be emaciated either, IMO. Yes, the flashback scene with Peeta she was very sick from malnutrition, but isn't that the part when she (thanks to his bread) found her father's hunting equipment and braved going into the woods? I read the first book last Fall so I'm fuzzy on some of the details, but I don't think when Katniss goes to the games she is supposed to be painfully thin. She wouldn't have had the strength she had in the Games if she was that thin.

+ Reply to Thread