+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: The Hunger Games

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Re: The Hunger Games

Thought this was an interesting read, esp. since it's been my opinion that having Suzanne Collins co-write the script has given us more of a 'pure' movie than those adapted w/o the author's input.

Why Did The Hunger Games Movie Change So Much From the Book?

In the film adaptation of The Hunger Games, why did they cut out most of Rue's lullaby—many people's favorite part—to add in an unnecessary uprising scene? It didn't convey the same emotion at all.

When you say "they," you're including the very person who created Rue's lullaby in the first place. Director Gary Ross cowrote The Hunger Games script with Billy Ray and Suzanne Collins, who, of course, brought us the novels.

So why did Team Collins agree to ditch much of the song—along with other key elements—such as the Avox subplot—for the movie?

I've done some digging for you, and found out. Here are five changes from book to film and why they happened:

1. No more Avox subplot.

In The Hunger Games novel, Katniss and Gale encounter a runaway girl who later ends up at the Capitol, sans tongue. The Avox, as such poor victims are known, is later recognized by Katniss once she reaches the big city.

However, avoxes are practically invisible in the movie. Ross has said that the cut was all about pacing. "We didn't really have time to engage that subplot," Ross told Slashfilm. "I was actually sorry about that, but Suzanne [Collins] agreed. There was no way. And again, it's so important for the movie, because we are not writing in the first person the way the book is, it's so important for the movie never to step out of Kantiss's shoes. That digression would have done that in a way that it would have taken a long time to get the train on the tracks."

2. A very white Katniss.

Fans roared outrage when Ross chose blond Jennifer Lawrence to step into the role of a girl who is described as being olive-skinned, with dark hair. But Ross has said he saw no other actress who could embody the scrappy heroine. "After seeing Jen, if she hadn't done it, I'm not sure I would have done [the film], for real," Ross told Gannett. "I really didn't have a second choice in my head."

Collins echoes that sentiment. She told Entertainment Weekly that Lawrence was the "only one who truly captured the character I wrote in the book."

3. More behind-the-scenes action.

In the book, we spend plenty of time in the arena, but almost none inside the head of game-maker Seneca Crane or his boss, the dictator President Snow.

The big-screen version treats us to the high-tech gamer headquarters, and some chilling scenes between Snow ( Donald Sutherland) and Crane ( Wes Bentley). Ross explained to Slashfilm: "I'm really proud of the Donald scenes that contextualized the movie. I'm really proud of the idea that hope is a stronger agent of manipulation than fear is....I like how he talks about sort of the haves and have-nots...and that neo-colonial relationship is sort of articulated."

4. Less graphic violence.

Collins's novel is full of helpful description of how 22 kids die in the arena. The movie glosses over most of that, but Ross has insisted he still made exactly the movie he wanted to make. In the end, seven seconds of gore were cut so that distributor Lionsgate could present a PG-13 film. It was a smart decision; after all, the book was also aimed at young readers.

5. That riot in District 11.

In the book? No riots. In the movie? Quite a riot, one shot by Ross's friend Steven Soderbergh, in fact.

Ross explained to MTV: "I thought it was important that you begin to make the turn into [sequel] Catching Fire, that you see the seeds of the rebellion, you see what Katniss has caused," Ross said. "It's a change Suzanne loves. It's something that she's fully embraced as well, that you begin to see the incipient beginnings of this rebellion."

As for your lullaby question:

The song may have been cut down in the film, but a full rendition is included—sort of. Sting recorded "Deep in the Meadow" just for fans of the film. You can buy the single, or get it for free if you buy the full album, The Hunger Games: Songs from District 12 and Beyond.
    Why Did The Hunger Games Movie Change So Much From the Book? | Comcast
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I went to see this Tuesday night. I thought it was very well done as an adaptation from the book, likely because Suzanne Collins had a hand in the writing. However, I hated the shaky camera.

I liked how they used the game commentators to explain stuff, like the Tracker Jackers, which we get to learn about while reading but needed some way to explain it in the movie.

I thought the actors did a great job. They made the characters come to life for me.

I didn't love how they did the flashback with Peeta & Katniss and the bread. I wondered if I hadn't read the book if it would have made sense to me. There were a couple of other spots that I can't recall off-hand where I was glad I had read the books, wondering if I would have understood it all if I hadn't.

I liked it well enough (even with not good seats at the theater) and will probably go see it again. I also am looking forward to the next movie already!

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

We just home from seeing the movie. I started the book on Monday and finished it on Wednesday. Hubby hasn't read it. We both gave the movie a 9 out of 10. I thought it was VERY well done, although The Capitol kept making me think of Oz.

I just got back from seeing it. I think I would have been a little lost without having read the book - the part before the Reaping felt a little rushed to me. I didn't love the first hour, but once the actual games began (loved the opening sequence, you could have heard a pin drop in the theatre) I was sucked right in. Stanley Tucci & Woody Harrelson stole every scene they were in. I thought the casting of Peeta was perfect, but Jennifer Lawrence was just OK for me. Maybe my expectations were too high. Overall, though, I enjoyed it & was very pleased it didn't stray too far from the book.
    AZChristian likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Regular

I hope everyone here realizes, this entire story and movie is a commentary on the entire reality TV viewing audience, and their metaphorical "thirst for blood"

Watching Snooki and JWow punch each other in the face vs. watching 2 teenagers slice each other's necks... metaphorically aren't much different.

Collins got the idea by watching Survivor.
    AZChristian likes this.

Not to take anything away from Collins, because she did a great job on this series, but I see much less Survivor and way more The Running Man (1987).
    waywyrd, Critical, Rattus and 1 others like this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skwadim View Post
    I hope everyone here realizes, this entire story and movie is a commentary on the entire reality TV viewing audience, and their metaphorical "thirst for blood"

Watching Snooki and JWow punch each other in the face vs. watching 2 teenagers slice each other's necks... metaphorically aren't much different.

Collins got the idea by watching Survivor.
    Collins has said she got the idea from reality shows as well as watching coverage of the Iraq War. I'm assuming it could be The Bachelor as easily as it could be Jersey Shore. After all, the bachelorettes have their own producers, are primped, and are edited to follow whatever storyline the exec. producers envision. Based on how that editing falls, we the viewers are swayed and choose our favorites. Lord knows I only watch a couple of reality shows, the Bachelor being one of them, but I get swayed just as easily as the next person by their editing.

I hadn't thought of the Running Man but I can definitely see that as well. Oh, Arnie, back in the days before you became a womanizing slug...
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin View Post
    Collins has said she got the idea from reality shows as well as watching coverage of the Iraq War. I'm assuming it could be The Bachelor as easily as it could be Jersey Shore. After all, the bachelorettes have their own producers, are primped, and are edited to follow whatever storyline the exec. producers envision. Based on how that editing falls, we the viewers are swayed and choose our favorites. Lord knows I only watch a couple of reality shows, the Bachelor being one of them, but I get swayed just as easily as the next person by their editing.

I hadn't thought of the Running Man but I can definitely see that as well. Oh, Arnie, back in the days before you became a womanizing slug...
    [SPOILER ALERT]

Yes of course, the violent aspect came from Iraq War, but the public thirst for blood comes from the reality tv drooling public. I think the title is brilliant, it's not the districts hunger for food and recognition, it's the Capitol's hunger for a show and in a metaphorical sense, blood.

I really disliked this movie, but not because I thought it was a bad movie. I disliked it because it made me feel completely uncomfortable. People clapped when the guy was thrown to the dog/wolves in the end, I didn't clap. If I did, what differentiates me from one of those bloodthirsty PanEm characters in the movie ?

Remember the line the first boyfriend says, "if people didn't watch, there wouldn't be a hunger games"... hmm.. I think the same holds true for reality tv.

We finally got time to see it today - I loved it. The casting was spot on (though I agree with an earlier post that said Peeta seemed too short ). I think it did help that I had already read the trilogy, but my husband the non-reader enjoyed it just as much. I didn't know it was that long until I looked at the time in the car - those two-plus hours flew by. I think they did very well in keeping with the essence of the book, even if they had to leave smaller subplots out.

And that had to be one of the very few movies I've watched in a theater where it was dead silent during important scenes. During the Reaping scene, the chariot entrance and Rue's death you could hear a pin drop. No candy noise, whispering, texting. Everyone was enthralled.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

We really enjoyed the movie, but unfortunately, we were sitting in front of two young teen girls who were grabbing each other and crying every few minutes. There was as much drama behind us as on the screen! At one point, one girl kept saying,"we need to leave.we should leave. Let's leave.". And of course, I turned around and said, "yes, please!". They ruined Rue's last scene with all of their sobbing and carrying on! Of course, they may have been attempting to get the attention of the 6 teenage boys I had with me, but still, it was obnoxious!

+ Reply to Thread