+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: John Carter (2012)

John Carter (2012)

John Carter - Rotten Tomatoes

From filmmaker Andrew Stanton comes John Carter-a sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars). John Carter is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch), who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he becomes reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands. -- (C) Walt Disney
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: John Carter (2012)

Read the book as a kid. Loved the trailers and am looking forward to seeing it.

Taylor Kitsch Talks Prepping For 'John Carter' - MTV Movie News| MTV

a bit of a quote:

In the upcoming adaption of Edgar Rice Burroughs' beloved "A Princess of Mars," Kitsch plays a Civil War veteran who finds himself transported to another planet. The Martians task Carter with saving the planet and rescuing the captive princess, played by Lynn Collins. The production finally came together recently after lingering in development for years and losing Jon Favreau, who was once attached to direct.

The journey began by meeting with the director Andrew Stanton, best known for his work on Pixar films. "I knew of Stanton, of course, and I was a huge fan," Kitsch says. "He was a big fan of Riggins, my 'Friday Night Lights' character, so right away we kind of pushed each other because we were so excited about just meeting one another."

MTV has the SuperBowl Ad for John Carter plus the two trailers.

"John Carter" | Movie Trailer | MTV

Rotten Tomatoes is already given this movie a positive review.

Finally found a great link that explains the story behind Edgar Rice Burroughs series of books that have been made into the movie, John Carter.

A Complete Beginner's Guide to the World of 'John Carter' | Movie Photo Galleries | Movies.com

chavy chaf chaf Asteroids Champion, Bejeweled 2 Champion, GalaGalaGa Champion, Add It Up Champion, Beat The Meter Champion, Bejeweled® 2 Action Champion, Little Protectors Champion spockwhat's Avatar

I've seen the previews and am interested in seeing this, though I usually shy away from Disney movies. I'm kind of waiting on the top critic reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, but I'll end up renting at the very least.

Thanks for the link explaining the story behind it, Bearcata.

Eta: Willem Dafoe... another
    Last edited by spockwhat; 03-06-2012 at 11:02 AM.

Just saw it and liked it very much. Bits and pieces reminded me a bit of Star Wars but as I remind myself this story came first. I don't think it is generating as much buzz as Disney wanted but I think part of that was they way they marketed the film. I do think the director was very smart in incorporating bits from the first three books as that allowed the audience unfamiliar with Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter of Mars series a very good grasp of what is going on as far as the history of Barsoom and what bad guys he must fight. A definite thumbs up.

Just a comment: Much of the set design had a real steam punk feel to it.

I thought this looked pretty bad when I saw the previews. I actually remember telling my husband that I refused to see this... But I caved and glad I did. I am not a big Sci-Fi person but I really enjoyed this movie. It flowed and didn't have any slow parts. The ending I loved. I hope it does better at the box office so they will make a sequel.
    The Buffalo Bills Will Win A Superbowl Someday!!!

Edgar Rice Burroughs introduced the character of John Carter in 1912. He is 100 years old. Happy Birthday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast