+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chronicle

Chronicle

Chronicle Review | Movie Reviews and News | Winter Movies - Calendar, Trailers, Movie Photos, Movie Clips, Movie Guide | EW.com

EW's GRADE
    A-
    Details Rated: PG-13; Length: 83 Minutes; Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Horror

Chronicle is a teen-outcast science-fiction movie told in the low-budget, found-footage style of The Blair Witch Project. As soon as you hear that, you may think, ''No thanks, I've had enough of those films.'' We all have, but Chronicle, I can say without hesitation, is the most original and excitingly executed wow-factor-meets-handheld-video feature since Blair Witch itself. It's also a movie that rebuilds the power of special effects from the ground up.
    I totally agree with this review. I did not post the entire review as not to spoil the story. The initial impression of the trailer is 3 teenager find an "alien" artifact and develop superpowers. Also the one nerdy kid, Andrew is taken under the wing of his older cousin and Steve the super popular high school senior. The two older boys help Andrew with his social skills and you are thinking stereotypical boring sci fi story. Not so. There is also a dark side to the story, with Andrew having an abusive father and a mother with a terminal illness. The director takes these issues and twists them into a riveting story that is quite unexpected. The two most outstanding scenes in the film are the "spider" scene and when Andrews father visits him in the hospital. I cannot believe a father would ever do and say what Andrew's father did. I will leave it at that.

The hardest part of this movie and the worst part is the beginning when the director uses that stupid shaky handheld camera effect for about the first 35 minutes, wasn't necessary and was making me motion sick trying to watch the film.

Absolutely deserves a grade A. This is what a good science fiction film should be.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Chronicle

Sadly the shaky hand held thing rules it out for me. I threw up during Hannah and her Sisters, spent the last half of the film at the back of the theater with my eyes shut, listening, and even the quick bits of Blair Witch I've seen make me queasy. 35 minutes, nope. Sounds good otherwise.

It wasn't totally hand shaky all over the place just a bit of wobbling. Annoying yes and really they could have stopped it sooner but just grip your teeth.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I saw this over the weekend. I really did like it but one thing has been bugging me. This is a "found footage" film, right? Then
    Click to see Spoiler:
    how was the last bit of footage of the cousin in Tibet "found"? The camera was left in the middle of a snowy mountain...who would find it?

With all those adventure tourists trying to climb Mt. Everest I am sure someone found it.

My cousin was backpacking up in that area many years ago and he said while the majority of tourists clean up after themselves it is amazing how much litter is left by modern man who visit with the intention of admiring nature's beauty.

Rotten Tomatoes gave Chronicle an 85%.

This movie cost $12 million to make; grossed $63,552,805 domestically as of March 26, 2012 and $116,752,805 worldwide and you really didn't hear that much hoopla about it.

Just checked in at BoxOfficeMojo.com and this movie is still making money and has grossed worldwide: $124,417,777 .

Fort Member

I had so wanted to see this film but it was only on in Singapore for a week and I missed it so I was so I was very happy when I was flying last week to see it listed as available to watch
    Yaaa
    Despite all I had read about it I as still surprised by the story it wasn't at all what i thought it would be
    I think it missed a bit being on the tiny back of seat screen but I still liked it and it made me cry

+ Reply to Thread