+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 2012 Oscars

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

2012 Oscars

The nominations are out and I haven't seen one Best Picture nominee! I'm surprised no acting nominations for Drive and that there are only 2 songs nominated.

Best Picture
    War Horse
    The Artist
    Moneyball
    The Descendants
    Tree of Life
    Midnight in Paris
    The Help
    Hugo
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Best Actress
    Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
    Viola Davis, The Help
    Rooney Mara, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
    Michelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn

Best Actor
    Demián Bichir, A Better Life
    George Clooney, The Descendants
    Jean Dujardin, The Artist
    Gary Oldman, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Brad Pitt, Moneyball

Best Supporting Actress
    Bérénice Bejo, The Artist
    Jessica Chastain, The Help
    Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids
    Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
    Octavia Spencer, The Help

Best Supporting Actor
    Kenneth Branagh, My Week with Marilyn
    Jonah Hill, Moneyball
    Nick Nolte, Warrior
    Christopher Plummer, Beginners
    Max von Sydow Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Best Director
    Michele Hazanavicius, The Artist
    Alexander Payne, The Descendants
    Martin Scorsese, Hugo
    Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
    Terrence Malick, The Tree of Life

Best Original Screenplay
    Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
    Annie Mumolo Kristin Wiig, Bridesmaids
    J.C. Chandor, Margin Call
    Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
    Asghar Farhadi, A Separation

Best Adapted Screenplay
    Alexander Payne, Nat Faxon, Jim Rash, The Descendants
    John Logan, Hugo
    George Clooney, Grant Heslov, Beau Willimon, Ides of March
    Steven Zallian, Aaron Sorkin, Stan Chervin, Moneyball
    Bridget O'Connor, Peter Straughan, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Best Foreign Film
    Bullhead
    Footnote
    In Darkness
    Monseiur Lazar
    A Separation

Best Animated Feature
    A Cat in Paris
    Chico & Rita
    Kung Fu Panda 2
    Puss in Boots
    Rango

Best Animated Short
    Dimanche/Sunday
    The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
    La Luna
    A Morning Stroll
    Wild Life

Best Live Action Short
    Pentecost
    Raju
    The Shore
    Time Freak
    Tuba Atlantic

Best Art Direction
    The Artist
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    Hugo
    Midnight in Paris
    War Horse

Best Cinematography
    The Artist
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    Hugo
    The Tree of Life
    War Horse

Best Costumes
    Anonymous
    The Artist
    Hugo
    Jane Eyre
    W.E.

Best Documentary Feature
    Hell and Back Again
    If a Tree Falls: A Story of the Earth Libration Front
    Paradise Lost 3: Purgatory
    Pina
    Undefeated

Best Documentary Short
    The Barber of Birmingham: Foot Soldier of the Civil Rights Movement
    God is the Bigger Elvis
    Incident in New Baghdad
    Saving Face
    The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom

Best Film Editing
    The Artist
    The Descendants
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
    Hugo
    Moneyball

Best Makeup
    Albert Nobbs
    The Iron Lady

Best Original Score
    The Adventures of TinTin
    The Artist
    Hugo
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    War Horse

Best Original Song
    "Man or Muppet", The Muppets
    "Real in Rio", Rio

Best Sound Editing
    Drive
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Hugo
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon
    War Horse

Best Visual Effects
    Hugo
    Real Steel
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Transformers: Dark of the Moon

FORT Fogey

Re: 2012 Oscars

I cannot in a million years understand how TinTin was not nominated for best animated picture! I thought the story was fantastic, and the animation was art work like I've never seen. I starte to think there was something funny with the release date that perhaps made it inelgible for the Oscars. But I see that it got a nomination for original score, so I don't think that's the case. To me, it was one of those movies that could have been a contender for best picture even though it was animated. And it doesn't even got an animated nomination? I don't get it!

The only Best Picture nominees I have seen are The Help and Moneyball. The Help was an outstanding film!! While Moneyball was acted well, I was bored by it, so I don't really get all the hype. Maybe if I cared about baseball I would have liked it more...?

I would really like to see Rooney Mara get the Best Actress award, but I have a feeling it will go to someone else. I am also surprised that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo did not get a nomination for Best Original Score because I thought it was amazing!! It did get a nod for Best Sound Editing, so at least that's something.

I admit I'm partial, but I just don't understand why any of the Harry Potter films didn't get more awards recognition by at least being nominated.
    Especially the most recent Finale in this year's awards. They were so well cast, acted, & filmed, & were excellent adaptations of the books. As good of book adaptations as I've ever seen, considering the detail & complexity of the subject matter.
    For as many as their were, they never lost the production quality or acting quality in any of them.
    Anyone who has read the books knows how much the actors "were" the characters both physically & in personalities. It's almost as if the movies were first & the books written to describe the actors playing them.

Oh well, a gazillion dollars & a gazillion fans are more important than an awards ceremony.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I would really like to see Rooney Mara get the Best Actress award, but I have a feeling it will go to someone else. I am also surprised that The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo did not get a nomination for Best Original Score because I thought it was amazing!! It did get a nod for Best Sound Editing, so at least that's something.
    I've read more than one critic saying that Rooney gave the best performance of the year, but that didn't mean she would win. It's a difficult movie and the type that rarely wins Oscars. Unfortunately. She's a talented girl - she'll get more nominations.

I think that, very often, the best performance doesn't win. I love Colin Firth, but (and it pains me to admit it because I love Colin SO much) Javier Bardem gave the performance of that year in Biutiful. It just wasn't the kind of movie that makes people get up and cheer the way The King's Speech was. Colin should have won for A Single Man the year before, imo.

Although I adore Meryl Streep and her speeches, I'd love to see Viola get Best Actress. She's sublime. I haven't seen The Descendants or any of the Best Actor movies yet, so I can't comment.

I'm very sad for Michael Fassbender, although he'll certainly get another shot at the Oscar. I'm thrilled for Melissa McCarthy, although she won't win. Christopher Plummer was fabulous in Beginners (if you haven't seen it, rent it now!). He and Octavia Spencer seem like the closest to sure things this year.

I'm amused that only 2 original songs were nominated. So much for all that Madonna vs. Elton bickering at the Golden Globes! The songs have to get a certain score from the group of members who vote on the music and only two songs got high enough scores. Wonder what would happen if NONE of the songs got a high enough score or only one did. IMO, most original movie songs are horrid, so I can see that happening.

I saw Hugo yesterday and it definitely deserves all the accolades. It's also a movie that is very pro-movie, with Ben Kingsley's character's part of the movie. Scorsese is a big supporter of film preservation, so this movie dovetails nicely with that and makes filmmakers feel good about voting for it. I wouldn't be shocked if it won Best Picture, although I think The Artist (another movie about movies!) will probably win. I plan on going to see that one next week. I can't wait!

The biggest head-scratcher on that list? Jonah Hill. WTF? I have Moneyball at home from Netflix right now and really, he's the only reason I haven't watched it yet. I find him incredibly annoying. I really hope I can make it through the movie because I've heard it's really good and I love Brad Pitt.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I love Tilda Swinton! She's just a cool chick. Tilda Swinton Is Ready to Do That Duet With Andy Serkis -- Vulture

That Twitter stuff yesterday with Patton Oswalt was hilarious!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

CCL

Only one song had a high enough score to be nominated. In that case they also put forth the second-highest rated song, which is what happened here. Madonna's song was ruled ineligible (maybe it was a song that played over the end credits? Those aren't eligible) but it is still stupid to have only two songs nominated. They need to rehaul the nomination process again. Nine (9?) films is also too much, especially when you consider the acting categories etc have the standard five.
    I think Clooney and Streep are a lock; Clooney more as a "well, hasn't he had a good career" prize than anything. Haven't seen Iron Lady.
    I've seen three of the best films; of those I liked War Horse best. It was rather maudlin but the story was good and it was beautifully shot.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Oh, snap! I didn't know that about the original song noms. I think I read somewhere that Madonna's song played too far into the closing credits and that's why some people were upset. "My Heart Will Go On" got a nod and it was over the closing credits too. I guess it has to be RIGHT after the end of the film All these rules seem terribly complicated. The documentary ones are, in particular, a riddle....and that's the NEW, less complicated rules!

I'm okay with nine films, but yeah, I wish there were maybe 6 nominees in the acting categories. Some really great performances, especially in the lead categories, got left off the ballot this year.

I don't think Iron Lady has gotten great reviews, but Meryl has. Apparently, she rose above the material, which I've seen several critics compare to a female J. Edgar, i.e. good, but slightly one-dimensional and possibly inaccurate biopic with a stand-out lead performance.

If Clooney wins it will be because he's well liked and gives good speeches. Not that I don't love him and think he's talented, but I don't think it was probably the best performance this year. I haven't seen The Descendants though, so I don't know I'm okay with him winning, but it would be great to see the HUGELY talented Gary Oldman finally win an Oscar. I can't believe this is is first nomination!

FORT Fogey

The best actress category this year is tough. I think its between Meryl Streep and Michelle Williams. Both of them played iconic well known women, and both absolutely nailed the performances. I thought each of them became the character rather than doing an impersonation. To me, that one is a question of whether voters want Streep to take over Hepburn's record for most wins, or give recognition to the young actress whose come close several times. Tough call. For best actor, I just don't understand why George Clooney is in the category. I've seen The Decendents, and thought it was the same performance you see every time from George. He's likable and charismatic without question. And he looks great in a tux. But I always thought the Oscar went to the best actor, not movie star. I just didn't see much acting from George in The Decendents. The supporting cast definitely, but not George.

From everything I've read, I think the Best Actress race is between Meryl Streep and Viola Davis. I'd be surprised (and not unpleasantly) if Michelle Williams won. She's young and I think that if voters won't give the award to Streep again, they'll give it to Davis, who is hugely talented and won a bunch of awards for Doubt, but not the Oscar. I think that, often, with younger actors, the voters think "Oh, they have other opportunities to win this." Lots of times, people win awards for hanging in there and earning it over many years.

As with every other award in show business, it's more about popularity and PR. Otherwise, Variety and other industry mags in LA wouldn't be raking in money from full page ads promoting various actors to win those awards. It's ridiculous, but true. Whoever has momentum going into the time when the ballots get sent out, takes home the award.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast