+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 2012 Oscars

Re: 2012 Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Really? I could have slept through the Descendants It was predictable and dreary .The girl with the dragon tattoo was fabulous
    Different strokes I guess. I loved it. I thought it was complex and layered and emotional without being emotionally manipulative. I can't find fault with one performance in the movie and I thought the script was anything but predictable. Like I said, I'm a Payne fan, so I obviously love his style of storytelling.

I just got Drive from Netflix. I'm looking forward to watching it so that, I too, can be horrified (or rather, more horrified) that Albert Brooks didn't get nominated, and Jonah Hill did!

Of all the Best Picture nominees, I can't see myself ever seeing Tree of Life (I'm just not a Terrence Malick fan) or probably Warhorse. It's just not my cup of tea. I'm not sure I'll ever see Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close either. I'll stick with the book on that one The rest of them I've either seen or will see by the Oscars. I think that's a record for me!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I guess I was expecting something else, I found it very flat. Very

I just saw The Artist and LOVED it.....with the exception of the jackass with the hacking cough in front of us - luckily, that stopped after about 15 minutes. Still =

I've seen five of the 9 nominees and I still can't say which movie I think should win, although I think The Artist WILL win. I can't believe it, because I'm not a Scorsese fan, but I'd be happy to see Hugo win too.

I also can't guess who will take Best Actor. I thought Clooney did excellent work, but The Artist is sort of the critics' darling, so Dujardin might win. He did an excellent job, don't get me wrong, but it's a close race. I still haven't seen A Better Life or Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, so I can only judge 3 performances.

I haven't seen ANY of the Best Actress performances yet because Netflix STILL has not sent me The Help. It's been #1 in my d@mn queue since it was released. I'm starting to get annoyed. Maybe I should just take everything else out of my queue and then they'll HAVE to send it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

The Help has been in long wait status in my Netflix queue since it was released. The same with Moneyball. I haven't seen any of the nominated films yet as I don't go to the theater and wait of Netflix.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I only got Moneyball because I timed it to receive it on the day of the release. Of course, I thought I did that with The Help too This happened with Inglorious Basterds a few years ago. Seriously - it was released in December and I didn't get until at least February, if not March. I think I saw it before the Oscars, but just before. I didn't get that one for MONTHS. Everyone I knew got it before I did! A friend may have a copy of The Help, so I'll likely end up borrowing it. I sent something in yesterday and, when I just checked, I'm not getting it Monday either. I seriously wonder WHO is getting it when I'm not and why.

I do wonder if emptying my queue of every other title would force them to send it to me. I just don't want to go through the headache of having to add 40 movies back into my queue!

I'll be getting A Better Life on Monday from Netflix, so I'll have seen 4 of the 5 nominated Best Actor performances. Has anyone seen Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? It was playing at the same theater where I saw The Artist yesterday and I debated about whether or not it was one that I should just wait for the DVD on.

Okay, I've now seen all of the nominated performances for Best Actor and I still think Jean Dujardin will win. I thought all of them were very good, but his was special.

I watched Tinker Tailor Solider Spy just now and it was terrific. I highly recommend it. Gary Oldman was very deserving of the Oscar nomination, but there were so many other great performances as well. I also watched A Better Life and The Help tonight. Damien Bechir absolutely deserved to be nominated for a performance that was just heartbreaking and strong and subtle. It was not an easy movie to watch, but I'm glad I did! I enjoyed The Help, but it reminded me of why I don't watch movies soon after I've read the book! I kept seeing the ways they changed things or noticing what was left out. Overall though, I thought it was very good.

Sentimentally, I'd love it if Hugo won for Best Picture, but I'd be happy with The Artist or The Descendants too. I loved all three, for different reasons. I have a few movies to watch before the Oscar ceremony, but I hope to have seen all of the Best Picture nominees, with the exception of War Horse, which I just have no interest in seeing. For some reason, I just can't watch movies with horses. I think that horribly graphic HBO documentary on horse racing from a few years ago must have scarred me. I can't watch anything with horses without thinking of that doc and some of the gruesome footage that I wish I could "unsee."

The big omission for me, with respect to Best Picture, is The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. WHY was it not nominated? I just don't get it.

After seeing The Help, I'm puzzled by the Best Actress/Best Supporting Actress designations for Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. I think Octavia could have been put up for Best Actress as well. It seemed like she had just as much screen time as Viola. Maybe it was a conscious decision on the part of the actresses to NOT have them both in the same category.

Anyone have plans for the ceremony tonight? I'm going to install myself on the couch starting at the red carpet specials and I'm going to have pizza and soda and maybe some ice cream and I'm absolutely NOT going to answer the phone! I always get pizza on Oscar night (and for the Emmys and the Golden Globes) - it's my tradition. I'm going to try not to gorge myself, since I haven't had pizza in a while!

FORT Fogey

I haven't seen all the movies.

The Descendants was my favorite movie of the year. Everything I wanted to have happen did! Not experienced that before. It was a good story, very good story. It was also interesting to see life as usual in Hawaii without leis, grass skirts and ukeles. The set design was interesting; the interior decor of the homes was unique and obviously typical of some Hawaiian homes.

The Artist. I didn't like this, not even a little bit. I was bored and kept checking my phone for the time.

Midnight in Paris was just okay for me. I was interested enough to stick with it but would not reccomend it to another.

The Help. I loved it. Anohter good story. I am a sucker for a good story.

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. I would have prefered not to be as confused as much as I was. I don't like espionage movies for this reason and this came very close to that level of hiding what was going on because the director/creator thinks that is good viewing. Not me. I would like eveyrone to wear T-shirts saying good guy or bad guy. That said, it was a very good movie.

My Week with Marilyn. I enjoyed it but it don't think it is worthy of an Oscar in any catagory.
    Last edited by Shoepie; 02-26-2012 at 02:25 PM.

FORT Fogey

I am watching E! as I putter around. Listening to these women commentators really makes you see how good and skilled Guilianna Ransic is. I find myself thinking, is this the best you can get? There are so many that would kill for this job.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I haven't seen all the movies.

The Descendants was my favorite movie of the year. Everything I wanted to have happen did! Not experienced that before. It was a good story, very good story. It was also interesting to see life as usual in Hawaii without leis, grass skirts and ukeles. The set design was interesting; the interior decor of the homes was unique and obviously typical of some Hawaiian homes.

The Artist. I didn't like this, not even a little bit. I was bored and kept checking my phone for the time.

Midnight in Paris was just okay for me. I was interested enough to stick with it but would not recommend it to another.

The Help. I loved it. Another good story. I am a sucker for a good story.

The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. I would have prefered not to be as confused as much as I was. I don't like espionage movies for this reason and this came very close to that level of hiding what was going on because the director/creator thinks that is good viewing. Not me. I would like eveyrone to wear T-shirts saying good guy or bad guy. That said, it was a very good movie.

My Week with Marilyn. I enjoyed it but it don't think it is worthy of an Oscar in any catagory.
    Didn't like The Descendants Bored me , way too much hype

Loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Artist, another bored me to death

The Help.Very well done, excellent story and acting

I thought it was poor year for movies.
    Poppy Fields likes this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    Didn't like The Descendants Bored me , way too much hype

Loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Artist, another bored me to death

The Help.Very well done, excellent story and acting

I thought it was poor year for movies.
    I saw The Descendants without having heard anything about it. I think that makes a difference. After months of lousy movies I caught this when it first came out.

+ Reply to Thread