+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: 2012 Oscars

Re: 2012 Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    I have Beginners at home and I'm really looking forward to watching it. I just have to find the time!!

I haven't seen much of Jonah Hill because he normally does movies I would absolutely hate, so I don't watch them! But based on that, I can see why you would be apprehensive about him in this movie. However, you really don't have anything to worry about. He did a fine job in this movie. I wouldn't have called it Oscar-worthy, but it was solid.
    Do yourself a favor and don't watch it.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Do yourself a favor and don't watch it.
    I'm going to totally disagree on that. Watch Beginners and see what you think, ClosetRTW. I really liked it and I have a feeling you will too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Fort Member

I loved Beginners it was a different and kinda relaxed movie and I thought Christopher Plummer did a really good job

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    I loved Beginners it was a different and kinda relaxed movie and I thought Christopher Plummer did a really good job
    I really did too. I thought Oliver's voice-over was used to great effect in combination with the pictures of various things to illustrate what he says. I just fell in love with this movie. It reminded me of why I love movies.

ETA: I finally watched Moneyball and while I enjoyed it, I still don't understand all the accolades. For me, a great performance is great when I can't imagine any other person playing the part. I really like Brad Pitt, but that wasn't a great performance. A good one? Absolutely. Not great. Jonah Hill? Any of a dozen other actors could have played that role, many better than he did. I just don't get it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I really did too. I thought Oliver's voice-over was used to great effect in combination with the pictures of various things to illustrate what he says. I just fell in love with this movie. It reminded me of why I love movies.

ETA: I finally watched Moneyball and while I enjoyed it, I still don't understand all the accolades. For me, a great performance is great when I can't imagine any other person playing the part. I really like Brad Pitt, but that wasn't a great performance. A good one? Absolutely. Not great. Jonah Hill? Any of a dozen other actors could have played that role, many better than he did. I just don't get it.
    When I saw Moneyball I noticed it was an older crowd, the theatre was quite full for that time of day and that many folks were baseball fans and that the movie explained a lot of stuff for them. I did like the movie and liked the chemistry between Brad Pitt and Jonah Hill. I think it is a combination of Brad Pitt, and interesting subject, and baseball fans that are making this movie a hit.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucynda View Post
    I loved it .I enjoy Plummer, so very much .

I rented Moneyball, meh. I cant see what all the fuss is about.Its one step above that awful movie Bridesmaids, it was just okay for me.

Have any of you all seen "The Artist"? I so enjoyed that movie! I was expecting to like it, but it exceeded expectation. It just made me....happy If the thought of a silent movie turns you off, don't let that stop you from seeing this. It wasn't distracting, and the movie was far from boring. It's definitely not a splashy blockbuster, but if you enjoy old movies at all (and I don't mean just silent ones) you should enjoy this one. There was a reason this got so many noms. And it doesn't hurt that the male lead is a cross between Gene Kelly and Clark Gable. He is definitely classic Hollywood handsome
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Have any of you all seen "The Artist"? I so enjoyed that movie! I was expecting to like it, but it exceeded expectation. It just made me....happy If the thought of a silent movie turns you off, don't let that stop you from seeing this. It wasn't distracting, and the movie was far from boring. It's definitely not a splashy blockbuster, but if you enjoy old movies at all (and I don't mean just silent ones) you should enjoy this one. There was a reason this got so many noms. And it doesn't hurt that the male lead is a cross between Gene Kelly and Clark Gable. He is definitely classic Hollywood handsome
    Thats so good to know.I thought I would be bored.Thanks for the recommendation

We're planning on seeing The Artist next week. I can't wait! I'm hoping to see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo before the Oscars as well. I watched The Ides of March this weekend and A Better Life is going to come from Netflix soon. I'm hoping to see Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy before the Oscars too, but I might not get that one in.

I saw The Descendants this afternoon and loved it! I cried most of my makeup off, but it was worth it. I'm an Alexander Payne fan, so I wasn't expecting to not like it. George Clooney was excellent, as was Shailene Woodley. I can see why some were surprised that she didn't get an Oscar nomination.

I did like Moneyball, I just didn't think, after watching it, "WOW, that was a great movie." I thought it was a good movie. I enjoyed it and I didn't hate Jonah Hill in it - he was just sort of "meh."

I wonder sometimes if critics just get too excited when a movie is actually good, since SO MANY movies made now just plain suck.

Really? I could have slept through the Descendants It was predictable and dreary .The girl with the dragon tattoo was fabulous

+ Reply to Thread