Thread: 2012 Oscars

Re: 2012 Oscars

It was the Artist all the time.Obvious it would take best Picture

I didnt like it, well the dog was good

CCL

And so to bed.

Night everyone. It's been real.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    No one does.

I knew that was Penelope Ann Miller up on stage. I didn't know she was in The Artist. Last thing I saw her in was CSI:NY. Cool.
    She plays Jean Dujardin's wife It wasn't a big part, but she was good.

I have Tree of Life at home from Netflix. Didn't get a chance to watch before the awards. I'll watch it, but I'm not optimistic. I'm not really a Terrence Mallick fan.

Apparently, now I have to watch The Iron Lady. I think that award was probably for the last 30 years of performances, since her last Oscar for Sophie's Choice.

I only got 3 wrong on my Oscar ballot: cinematography, documentary and short film (live action). Pretty good.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I loved the Artist.
    I saw it at a screening where the director did a Q & A afterwards. The guy was just so humble and nice and such a cinephile. It was a beautiful homage to Hollywood, IMO.
    I guessed all the winners except for Meryl.
    I love her, but I would have loved to see Viola win it for her work in the Help.
    She lost out on Supporting Actress in 2008 (?) for Doubt. Her main scene in that movie is with Meryl Streep. I've never seen another actress steal a scene from Meryl, but Viola did.
    I loved seeing Billy Crystal again.
    If Oscar really wants the younger demo, they should consider pairing him with anne Hathaway. While James Franco was a snoozefest last year, Anne had high energy and enough talent to keep up with Billy Crystal.
    I can't believe how many luminaries we lost last year. I always love the In Memoriam tribute. And Esperanza Spaulding did a lovely tribute with her singing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I love award shows and trying to guess who will win. I'm not a big movie watcher so it's always fun guessing.

Critical, these award threads are so much fun with your input. Your passion for movies comes through in your posts, so thank you for that.

Christopher Plummer's speech was awesome and I'm happy that he has finally met Oscar. The 'in memoriam' was done very tastefully and Esperanza Spaulding's "What a Wonderful World" was breathtaking.

Emma Stone was adorable and the Will Farrell and Zach G. bit was very funny. I do like Billy Crystal and thought his opening was great. The show was very fast paced and time blew by so fast. T'was an enjoyable evening!
    Critical likes this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere View Post
    If Oscar really wants the younger demo, they should consider pairing him with anne Hathaway. While James Franco was a snoozefest last year, Anne had high energy and enough talent to keep up with Billy Crystal.
    Love Anne, don't like Billy. I wouldn't want them paired because a) I don't want him to host again and b) she was much too hyper last year. I cringed several times tonight when Billy was holding back his own laughter over his OWN jokes.

I should start the campaign now - Neil Patrick Harris for host next year! He's young, suave, funny and he can sing and dance. He's done nearly every other awards show and been terrific.

Billy Crystal just fell flat this year, IMO. He had a few good moments, but it was just a little too retro and not in a good way. I did chuckle at the comment about people being cheered up by watching millionaires give each other golden statues. I also thought all of those clips packages were a little much. If you didn't know what year it was, you'd think it was ten years ago: When Harry Met Sally, Ghost, Forrest Gump....good grief.

I liked how the introduced the clips for many of the categories and I liked the best acting nominee announcing, although Colin Firth did SUCH a better job than Natalie Portman.

On an slightly related note, the Jimmy Kimmel Oscar Show hilarious tonight. Oprah is killing it and I don't even really like Oprah! She seems much more relaxed and natural than she ever did on her own show. "Book Club Fight Club" =
    Movie: The Movie was good too, but this Oprah segment is funnier.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    I love award shows and trying to guess who will win. I'm not a big movie watcher so it's always fun guessing.

Critical, these award threads are so much fun with your input. Your passion for movies comes through in your posts, so thank you for that.

Christopher Plummer's speech was awesome and I'm happy that he has finally met Oscar. The 'in memoriam' was done very tastefully and Esperanza Spaulding's "What a Wonderful World" was breathtaking.

Emma Stone was adorable and the Will Farrell and Zach G. bit was very funny. I do like Billy Crystal and thought his opening was great. The show was very fast paced and time blew by so fast. T'was an enjoyable evening!
    Aw, thanks I got kind of obsessed this year with seeing all of the movies. I have to say though, I think it was a pretty great year for movies. I haven't seen The Tree of Life yet, so I may change my opinion, but I don't think any of the Best Picture nominees didn't deserve the nomination. I won't see War Horse, but I've heard it's very good.

Some years, there's at least one nominated picture that has people scratching their heads and this year didn't.

I hope that lots of people get out and see or rent The Artist, The Descendents and Beginners, in particular. They were among my favorites this year, along with Hugo, which I think more people saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Best Original Song...Wow, that list of former winners is especially embarrassing, considering what's nominated (and how few) this year.

The Oscar goes to the song from The Muppets.

The thing with the cymbals was pretty funny.
    I kept thinking "thats it?" for the songs!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Quote Originally Posted by libgirl2 View Post
    I kept thinking "thats it?" for the songs!
    I kept thinking the same thing, only it was mainly for the Oscars as a whole. It all seemed very rushed and predictable. and it lacks many things it did years ago. I used to have Oscar parties years ago, and we would have fun Now they want to move people on and off so fast, its not enjoyable for me anymore. Its all about the red carpet. What are you wearing, whose bling, whose shoes. blech

Critical, I think you asked why Diddy was at the Oscars early on, so I just wanted to respond. I saw an article in People that he was apparently involved with the documentary Undefeated. I didn't pay enough attention to see how he was involved - whether he bankrolled it, had a producing credit, etc. But I'm sure that was why he was there last night.

+ Reply to Thread