+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Movies-your favorites

Re: Movies-your favorites

Not too long ago, a friend of mine Tweeted, "What are you up to?" And I replied, "Watching The Queen followed by Hot Tub Time Machine. I win." (I don't even know if all that fit for Twitter. Oh, well.) She replied with, "I'm watching Jackass followed by Bob the Builder for the kids. I win."

I was reminded of the above by my "first two" favorite films:
    1. Memento
    2. The Sound of Music
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fogey

I have many favorites and this list could be very long but I decided to list those that stuck me in this moment.

Sliding Doors *
    Swing Shift
    Descendants

* I love any movie that has this theme. That being two senarios of what would happen if you missed the train or anything that changes that day resulting in a life altering experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I have many favorites and this list could be very long but I decided to list those that stuck me in this moment.

Sliding Doors *
    Swing Shift
    Descendants

* I love any movie that has this theme. That being two senarios of what would happen if you missed the train or anything that changes that day resulting in a life altering experience.
    Just recently saw Sliding Doors all the way through and was surprised by the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    not-quite-happy ending.
    I'm still out on how I feel about it. (The scene with what's-his-name, the "good" boyfriend, doing Monty Python while his friends yukked it up almost did in the movie for me.)

I also like this genre a lot. "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood," and all that. Try Mr. Destiny and Family Man. Both are deeply flawed films, but they are interesting films in this genre, if you haven't already seen them. Oh, Frequency, too. That was actually a good 'un.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I absolutely LOVE Frequency. I've probably seen it at least 6 times & if I see it's on TV, I have to watch it again. The thing is, you don't want to overthink it. Just sit back & watch the entertainment. Because it's quite entertaining.
    I also liked Family Man a lot, except the ending needed a little more. A quick 2 minute scene of them buying that house in the future with her having a pregnant belly would have made it perfect.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

The Shining
    Misery
    Cliffhanger
    Goldfinger

There are some more but I don't watch movies as much as I did before.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Just recently saw Sliding Doors all the way through and was surprised by the
    Click to see Spoiler:
    not-quite-happy ending.
    I'm still out on how I feel about it. (The scene with what's-his-name, the "good" boyfriend, doing Monty Python while his friends yukked it up almost did in the movie for me.)

I also like this genre a lot. "Two roads diverged in a yellow wood," and all that. Try Mr. Destiny and Family Man. Both are deeply flawed films, but they are interesting films in this genre, if you haven't already seen them. Oh, Frequency, too. That was actually a good 'un.
    Thanks for those reccomendations. They are on my list, now. I thought the ending of Sliding Doors was perfect and positive. Loved it! It supported law of attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I absolutely LOVE Frequency. I've probably seen it at least 6 times & if I see it's on TV, I have to watch it again. The thing is, you don't want to overthink it. Just sit back & watch the entertainment. Because it's quite entertaining.
    Frequency was fabulous! Loved it! But you're right...don't think too much, just enjoy the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Scarlet View Post
    I also liked Family Man a lot, except the ending needed a little more. A quick 2 minute scene of them buying that house in the future with her having a pregnant belly would have made it perfect.
    I think Frequency is one of the most overlooked (but deserving of a look) films in the last ten years. It works as a thriller (uh, mostly), the story is exciting, and the acting is fantastic--mostly because of Quaid and Caviezel both apparently saying, "To hell with it" and throwing themselves completely into the silly thing. Two scenes stand out in my mind: Andrew Braugher's Satch DeLeon watching the baseball game in the coffee shop and Jim Caviezel's John Sullivan interrogating
    Click to see Spoiler:
    his mother's murderer
    . ("She meant something to ME!" All that pain, all that fear, in that scene. Just wow.)

As for the ending of Family Man :
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I liked the ending. I think it was an interesting twist that--and this is just my takeaway--that the wealthy single life is the "alternate, dystopic" life, and the working-class, married life is their ideal life together. They didn't simply go for the easy, "Why not both?" approach and have them married, wealthy and with kids.
    It asks the viewer the very difficult question of what their ideal life would be like, and whether they are willing to trade one form of happiness for another. Well done, Brett Ratner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Thanks for those reccomendations. They are on my list, now. I thought the ending of Sliding Doors was perfect and positive. Loved it! It supported law of attraction.
    Great! I would love to hear what you think! Of course, after writing out those three, I thought of more, chiefly The Butterfly Effect. And then there's the 2009 Star Trek (has it been that long?!), which "What-if"'ed 40 years of an entire science fiction series, but that's not quite what you had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    Frequency was fabulous! Loved it! But you're right...don't think too much, just enjoy the story.
    Kind of like just enjoying the ending of Knowing, which like Vanilla Sky, was completely bold or completely stupid. Or both.

Edited to add: Just reopened this post to add: Source Code and Deja Vu . Source Code had some interesting ideas, but they don't work out at all by the end. However, it's worth taking the ride for Jeffrey Wright and Vera Farmiga (oh, Vera Farmiga ) alone.

As for Deja Vu, it was interesting to see science fiction in the hands of Tony Scott. Not great, mind you, just...interesting. Enjoy!
    Last edited by phat32; 03-16-2012 at 09:22 AM.

Fort Member

The Princess Bride is probably my all time fav movie followed by Silverado and Blade Runner

Loved the original 3 Star Wars movies adored Raiders of the lost arc and its sequals and Back to the Future 1 2 and 3
    Ghostbusters 1 and 2 as well as Scrooged are also favourites in our house at christmas
    The list above are probably the the ones I have sat through over and over again and still enjoy
    There are many many more that I love but the above are probably my top
    As far as all the Zanadu love, my home town had a special red carpet premier sneek peek of the movie when it first came out
    I was a very young teen at the time and my friend won tickets through a radio station
    So she took me it was so exciting and we knew nothing about the movie except that it had Olivia in it
    The night was brilliant but nothing could save the film it was way too saccarine for me and the acting laughable
    The critics absolutely panned it which kinda put a downer on our night as we realised that it would probably be the only time in our lives we would go to a red carpet movie premier with tickets won over a radio station and it was for Zanadu!

Peg
    FORT Newbie

I'm a lover of old movies , especially film noir but some of my faves that I watch over and over from the past couple of decades:
    Pulp Fiction
    Kill Bill
    As Good as it Gets
    Legally Blonde

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12