+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lopevian

Thread: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

Liked this one better than the first. The first Robert Downey Sherlock Holmes movie seemed slower paced and overly long but in fact this sequel is 1 minute longer at 129 minutes. Funny thing though it feels shorter, it is faster paced, and the director, Guy Ritchie, really cut down on that "Sherlock Holmes thinking senario trick" quick a bit and in fact it flowed much better and didn't feel overused. In fact the film is so well paced I thought that they had used another director and was surprised to see Ritchie's name. Robert Downey and Jude Law play off each other rather brilliantly. In fact I saw them both on the Graham Norton show and they are a hoot together and it translates very well on to film. I am sure they played awful tricks on each other and the crew while filming the movie. One thing I never understand is that meglo maniacs like Moriarty always seem to leave dead bodies all over the place to the point it is rather over kill. Still liked the ending it was unexpected and quite fun.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows

I just saw this yesterday and really enjoyed it, too. I liked it better than the first one as well, and agree that despite the long length, it didn't feel long. It was fun seeing Noomi Rapace in an English speaking movie....and I was glad her character here had some of the same "kick-butt" attributes as Lisbeth Robert Downey Jr. and the actor who played Moriarty were outstanding. Moriarty especially was wonderfully creepy. These movies remind me of the best of the Indiana Jones series and I definitely hope plans for number three are already in the works!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd View Post
    Robert Downey Jr. and the actor who played Moriarty were outstanding. Moriarty especially was wonderfully creepy.
    That's Jared Harris, son of Richard Harris. He plays quite a different character on Mad Men, so much so that my sis & BIL watched the whole movie and couldn't place him, despite being huge Mad Men fans.

Also really liked the movie, and even more so than the first one.

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

Was very sad that Irene Adler was offed. I kept hoping she would reappear. The emotion on Sherlock's face when Moriarty told him he had killed her was so subtly heartbreaking...Robert Downey Jr. is one of our finest actors. I really enjoyed Rachel McAdams' portrayal of Adler. Has anyone ever walked about with a loaf of bread better? I also think the chemistry between Downey and Law is pure cinematic joy. Like the first one, I need to see this a few more times before thoroughly grasping everything that has just blown away my senses, so I can't wait for the DVD release. I really want to see the very last scene again! My eyes will be on that chair...

everything under the sun lopevian's Avatar

DVD release date is June 12, 2012!!
    momrek06 likes this.

+ Reply to Thread