+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Bearcata
  • 1 Post By Critical
  • 1 Post By Florimel

Thread: Hugo

Hugo

I just saw it. Rotten Tomatoes gave this move a 93%. I think they must have seen a different film then I did. I was bored waiting for something to happen. I looked at my watch then realized I had only been watching for 45 minutes. I kept checking every so often. To me it is a big sign that I am watching a snooze fest. The trailers imply this is a big magical film and that the key to unlock the mystery of Hugo's father's disappearance is the key that winds the metal doll. That it is the key to a magic kingdom. Well, no. The trailers are totally misleading. The story is boring and flat and I want my money and time back.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Re: Hugo

This is a children's book that is part text and part illustrations. I work in a children's library, and I saw the magic in this film. IDK, I loved it. I know it wasn't a big 'production' of a film with lots of CG and special effects, but to me the story itself, and the acting, were fantastic. It was subtle, but it was there. We are planning a trip to Paris and England in 18 months, so I was in love with the idea of Paris at that time, and felt the art direction, costumes, etc were lovely.

I love Ben Kingsley, and the young actor who played Hugo was just so cute with the most incredible eyes.

I loved it!

Can't believe they are nominating this thing for Best Movie of the Year.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

I enjoyed the movie from the perspective that Scorsese directed it and the film preservation/history angle.
    Down the middle drops one more grain of sand.
    They say that new life makes losing life easier to understand.
    Words are kind, they helped ease the mind. I'll miss my old friend.
    And though you gotta go, we'll keep a piece of your soul.
    One goes out, One comes in.

Just saw it today in 3D and LOVED it! I sold dozens of copies of Brian Selznick's book when it came out and always loved it. I couldn't imagine how it would be adapted into a movie, even though the book is mostly illustrations. I'm not a big Scorsese fan either. Well, my hat's off to him! What a beautiful, touching, lovely film!

I thought all of the actors were fabulous, but Asa Butterfield was amazing! What a find! Those eyes just kill me. Ben Kingsley was wonderful and so was Sacha Baron Cohen. Just a terrific cast.

I thought it was so visually stunning. The cinematography, the costumes, the sets, all wonderful. Paris looked magical. That's one of my favorite eras, so I was in heaven! I could have watched it with just music and enjoyed it almost as much. I'm definitely going to have to buy this one when the DVD comes out! My friend loved it too and she's a tough customer. She hated one of my other favorites of the year, Midnight in Paris (another director I haven't enjoyed in recent years!).

I sometimes have trouble in 3D movies, because I tend to get motion sick, but I was fine in this one. I may have to go see it again before it leaves theaters. Hopefully, its 11 Oscar nominations will push it back into theaters for a while, so more people have a chance to see it. I'm sure it'll be wonderful on TV too, but it's really something that should be seen on the big screen.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree, Critical to me it was magical. Just a wonderful movie. I'm really happy it got the nod for Best Picture!

I thought it was a work of art. Thoroughly enjoyed it with more great British stage and film actors -- Richard Griffiths and Frances de la Tour (Harry Potter), Christopher Lee, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer, to name a few. I had been slightly familiar with Georges Melies as a silent fim maker, but I learned a lot more here.
    sweetpea likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread