+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dragonlady

Thread: Descendants

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Descendants

Has anyone seen this yet? I"m a huge Clooney fan and I enjoyed the book, but the reviews seem a bit contradictory. Thanks!

It's the one set in Hawai'i about the descendants of plantation owners and Hawaiian royalty...not to spoil it.

Re: Descendants

I dont know if I liked it or not.I liked it, but not enough to say go and see it.I think it would be a rental for me if we hadn't seen it. Its a character study, and Clooney seems to act himself imho.I cant see why there is Oscar buzz around it.

Sorry I am not much help. If you do see it, I would be instead to hear what you think

I just saw that movie also. I wasn't impressed but I think it's because of all the press excitement about it and as Fanny Mare said "Oscar buzz" about George Clooney. I expected something better. It was an ok movie with very good acting, especially the oldest daughter.
    I thought George did a great job but he always does a great job...just nothing outstanding. He was as good in this as he was in Ocean's 11.

Some people actually clapped at the end of the movie...I fell asleep twice (but must admit I was really tired).
    I think it's "time" to give George his courtesy Oscar, like we've seen over and over and he took this vehicle with that in mind.
    There are a lot better actors than George but I will definitely admit, there is definitely very few who look as good as this man. Thought that back when he was a nobody in Facts of Life and still think that.
    The movie is not a waste of money by any means but I think it was just too built up for me.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Finally saw it---GC 'inhabits" the character, as they say, but then the character seems much like GC--I actually thought he was more deserving of an Oscar for his recent role as the guy who practically lives on airplanes---but he was very good in this. What was outstanding to me though, was that it was an excellent ensemble movie. All the smaller roles were very well done, and as mentioned above, the older daughter who is kind of the heroine, was excellent. It all seemed very "real" (if you can imagine yourself into that rich a situation!). Her male friend was good, the younger daughter was good, even the motor boat driver was good in a tiny role. Very enjoyable evening, a very real seeming family, spectacular scenery.
    One little flaw...they begin by saying how everyone thinks Hawaii is a paradise but it isn't, and they flash to shots of homeless people,etc. during the opening voiceover.....but the whole rest of the film was beautiful houses, beautiful scenery, etc. Yes, it took place at rich people's places, but even the little crab shack they went to at one point was cool.

I just saw it this afternoon and loved it! I'm a Clooney fan and pretty much am always happy when he wins an award because I love his speeches. That being said (and I'm qualifying this because I haven't seen all of the other nominated performances yet), I thought his performance was definitely Oscar worthy. Sometimes, the Academy doesn't reward subtle performance, which Clooney's was, but I think he absolutely deserves it. I thought the whole cast was good as well.

There were some nice little surprises with the cast - Laird Hamilton (who looks like a freaking superhero or something), Beau Bridges and Michael Ontkean all made me smile. I did wonder if MO's part was originally bigger. I don't think he had any lines.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I just saw it and really liked it, enough that it stuck in my head afterwards and I found myself thinking about the characters and the storyline well after it ended. GC was great. At times he made me laugh, he made me cry, his running down the hill with arms flailing was just priceless. His interactions with the older daughter felt really natural and real. The cast was great and the scenery and music were gorgeous. I can see why it was nominated for best picture.

So far I've only seen 3 of the nominations and I've loved all three of them: Hugo, The Descendants, and Midnight in Paris.

FORT Fogey

I loved this movie! It is in my top 10. It is such a good story, the acting was great and I loved seeing life as usual in Hawail with out ukelues, leis, and grass skirts. The interior of the homes was interesting, a very distinct style. It was a movie where everything I wanted to happen did! The youngest daughter, Scotty, gave an oscar worthy performance.

+ Reply to Thread