+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Real Steel

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Real Steel

Confession: I probably mostly went to see this movie because of Hugh Jackman. Okay. I ONLY went to see it because of Hugh Jackman. That being said:

I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT THE MOVIE!!!!

I've seen it reviewed as "Rocky with Robots." Yep, that sums it up in three words. But I found myself laughing, crying, shadow boxing and cheering during different parts of the movie. Fortunately, everyone on the screen was cheering, too, so I don't think I embarrassed my hubby TOO much.

Hugh Jackman was . . . well . . . Hugh Jackman. Hubba hubba hubba. Dakota Goyo is the best 12-year-old actor I've seen in a long time. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole movie.

Re: Real Steel

I knew going that I would be seeing a combination of Rockem Sockem Robots and Rocky but hey Hugh Jackman was in it. I loved it. I cried, I laughed, I was rooting for Atom. I liked this movie, yes it has themes that have been used before, seriously, what movie hasn't but its the way it was done that was so good. Oh, don't read the review in the Huffington Post the reviewer hates this film. What I did like was that it was set in the near future 10, 15, 20 yrs in the future at most about 2022 to 2030. When it opens up I was wondering what happened to America, it was pretty obvious that we were using alternative fuels and the air was alot cleaner. It was nice to see a more farm like setting for our future instead of the depressing gungy over polluted high tech cities and huddled masses most scifi movies tend to project. That immediately spoke to me that the directors and writers were taking a different approach and that they might be something very interesting about this film. Yes, it is the little boy lost who finds a friend in a dog (read robot) and manages to reconnect with his sperm donor. It is a story of redemption for Jackman's character as well as a growing of age. Was it hocky at times? yes. Was it fun? YES. Was I cheering at the end and feeling great? BIG YES.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I knew going that I would be seeing a combination of Rockem Sockem Robots and Rocky but hey Hugh Jackman was in it. I loved it. I cried, I laughed, I was rooting for Atom. I liked this movie, yes it has themes that have been used before, seriously, what movie hasn't but its the way it was done that was so good. Oh, don't read the review in the Huffington Post the reviewer hates this film. What I did like was that it was set in the near future 10, 15, 20 yrs in the future at most about 2022 to 2030. When it opens up I was wondering what happened to America, it was pretty obvious that we were using alternative fuels and the air was alot cleaner. It was nice to see a more farm like setting for our future instead of the depressing gungy over polluted high tech cities and huddled masses most scifi movies tend to project. That immediately spoke to me that the directors and writers were taking a different approach and that they might be something very interesting about this film. Yes, it is the little boy lost who finds a friend in a dog (read robot) and manages to reconnect with his sperm donor. It is a story of redemption for Jackman's character as well as a growing of age. Was it hocky at times? yes. Was it fun? YES. Was I cheering at the end and feeling great? BIG YES.
    Did you catch the hint of an unresolved issue in the discussion between Charlie and his son . . . IMO, it leads to a major plot point for Real Steel 2, which is scheduled for release in 2014.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Charlie says, "What are you, 9? 10?" Answer: "I'm 11." Question: "11? Are you sure?" (Looking confused.)

I think there's some question as to whether the kid is really his, as it appears Charlie is thinking about how long ago he knew the mother and is counting back 9 months and thinking he didn't know her when she got pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Did you catch the hint of an unresolved issue in the discussion between Charlie and his son . . . IMO, it leads to a major plot point for Real Steel 2, which is scheduled for release in 2014.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Charlie says, "What are you, 9? 10?" Answer: "I'm 11." Question: "11? Are you sure?" (Looking confused.)

I think there's some question as to whether the kid is really his, as it appears Charlie is thinking about how long ago he knew the mother and is counting back 9 months and thinking he didn't know her when she got pregnant.
    I think that quote in the spoiler refers more to the point that Charlie was so focused on his career and nothing else that he doesn't have a clue as to how much time has passed. Seriously, Charlie, isn't that smart, street smart yes, but not a thinker by any stretch of the imagination. But if the producers want to use that as a plot point well it is a jumping off point.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread