+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Huh, that's weird because everything I've read said that the rape/torture scenes are much more violent and graphic in the Swedish version.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    Huh, that's weird because everything I've read said that the rape/torture scenes are much more violent and graphic in the Swedish version.
    This is the reason I will probably never watch this movie, even though I've read nothing but excellent reviews of it.
    Rape/torture & entertainment just don't go together for me.
    No, I don't just watch shows with dancing rainbows, but there are some things I just won't watch.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I've not seen Fincher's version yet, But I did see the Swedish one. I found the rape scene very different from what was described in the book. I didn't find it at all difficult to watch and it was not at all graphic, IMO.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I've only seen the American version, but found the book much more violent than the movie. That only says how violent the book was, the movie certainly was as well. In addition, in the book you had to "live" with what had been done to her for many pages before a suitable revenge was enacted---in the movie it seems almost instantaneous by comparison.

I actually expected that the American version might tone down the violence. At one point when that scene starts, the guy shuts the door and you are left looking at it from the outside. Silly me, I actually thought for a moment that they were going to leave it at that! It has been a while since I watched the Swedish movies, but I thought the American and Swedish versions were about the same with the level of violence. However, the way the American version was filmed was much more crisp so maybe that could make it seem more graphic...? I do agree with PWS that in the American movie the attack and revenge were much closer than in the book.

Critical - I made it through this violence in the first book okay, but there is a cliff hanger at the end of the second book that ties into a phobia of mine. The fact that I picked up the third book and finished out that part of the story said a lot to me about how engaged I was with those characters!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I finally got around to watching the Swedish movie tonight and I agree--the American one is far more violent regarding the guardian rape scene. I think the American version gave a bit more time to Lisbeth's thinking on exposing her "guardian" than the Swedish version, but the Swedish version gave more Blomkvist back-story albeit without the Lisbeth disappointment at the end.

I think they're both good films, with the American one edging out only by a nose to the Swedish one. At least in the Swedish version, there was some hint of Lisbeth's past. And Blomkvist wasn't so perfect. It's interesting to me that the Swedish version didn't use the idea that Mikael was there for "family history" writing.

I finally got a chance to see the last movie of this series. My son found it in a bargin rack. The Swedish version is far superior. Rooney Mara was not even close to getting Lisbeth. As much as I adore Daniel Craig I just saw him as James Bond & not Mikael Blomkvist.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    I finally got a chance to see the last movie of this series. My son found it in a bargin rack. The Swedish version is far superior. Rooney Mara was not even close to getting Lisbeth. As much as I adore Daniel Craig I just saw him as James Bond & not Mikael Blomkvist.
    It's funny how everyone comes out with their own perspective, because I thought Rooney Mara was a far superior Lisbeth!

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher View Post
    It's funny how everyone comes out with their own perspective, because I thought Rooney Mara was a far superior Lisbeth!
    It is completely possible had I seen the American version 1st I might have a completly different prospective however I did see the 1st & 2nd Swedish movies first so that actress is just Lisbeth to me. It took us forever to find Hornet Nest. Oddly my son found it in a bargin bin at a local record store. That final movie tied in all of those loose ends.
    It is just so surprising that I absoluetly loved a dubbed Swedish movie about a character I have nothing in common with.
    Some people dream of having a big swimming pool - with me it's closets."
    -Audrey Hepburn.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Snow Bunny View Post
    Ive seen the Swedish trilogy many times over. I just saw the American version on Bluray, and although it was well acted, I still find Noomi's characterization much better, along with Blomkvist portrayal. Again, Craig and Mara did very good jobs, but, I found the chemistry and portrayals in the original, more to my liking.
    Regarding the rape scene, yes, maybe more graphic in the Swedish, but, its nothing approaching Irreversible's rape scene. That was difficult to watch :/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345