+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    I had no problem at all picking up who was who. I thought everything was laid out amazing clearly.

So did I. Wonderful movie

I can't believe it took me this long to see this movie! I just watched it and OMG. Amazing. The opening title sequence alone was better than most of the actual movies I saw this year. I cannot believe it didn't get nominated for Best Picture and/or Best Director. It was just stunning, visually. Rooney Mara was incredible and I thought Daniel Craig was very good as well, as was the rest of the cast.

I literally just finished watching and I feel like I want to watch it again. I did find those few scenes upsetting, but I still liked the movie.

I haven't read the book (surprisingly enough ), but I didn't have trouble following what was going on either
    AZChristian likes this.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

All 3 books have been made into movies you can find on Netflix if you don't mind reading subtitles (in Swedish) if you want to see how the story plays out.
    Count your blessings!

I'm debating about watching them - they've been in my queue forever. I know that Rooney Mara is signed on to do the other two movies (although who knows if they will actually make them), so I may wait to see the Fincher versions. I may just read the books in the meantime!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm debating about watching them - they've been in my queue forever. I know that Rooney Mara is signed on to do the other two movies (although who knows if they will actually make them), so I may wait to see the Fincher versions. I may just read the books in the meantime!
    Do you have a Kindle? I have the books and (haven't researched it), but I'm under the impression that I'm allowed to loan books to friends (one loaning per book). Send me a PM if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    Do you have a Kindle? I have the books and (haven't researched it), but I'm under the impression that I'm allowed to loan books to friends (one loaning per book). Send me a PM if you're interested.
    Nope. I'm sort of anti-Kindle. Thanks for the offer though! I'll probably break down and buy the second two (I have the first) one of these days!
    AZChristian likes this.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I used to be anti-Kindle. Finally decided to get one in November, and can't imagine life without it. But I respect those who haven't made that choice. However you read the books, read them!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I used to be anti-Kindle. Finally decided to get one in November, and can't imagine life without it. But I respect those who haven't made that choice. However you read the books, read them!
    Kindle use is sounding more like religion every minute!
    If you doubt that read the Kindle thread under "books" and the words/actions of the new converts. Me included.

After having read some comparisons between this and the Swedish version, I don't think I could handle the Swedish version. I'm all for artistic freedom, but there are some things I don't need to see. The violent scenes in this version were enough for me. The Swedish version is more violent and more difficult to watch, apparently. My mom saw it and now refuses to read the books or see the American version and she's not usually like that.

Actually the American version is much more violent than the Swedish version. I have seen all three Swedish movies, and can even understand Swedish. The Swedish movies have many similarities and were shot at the exact same locations, but I like the fact that the two versions differ sometimes in approach. All in all, I would argue both versions were equally excellent, and I would greatly recommend that you watch the Swedish movies as well. Besides, this is after all a Swedish work by a Swedish author.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast