+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Re: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (American version)

Wow, saw this last night & ended up loving it - unexpected because I'm a fan of the Swedish versions. I thought it would feel inauthentic and it some ways it did (the accents, ugh) but otherwise it was surprisingly loyal to the book. I can't pick my favorite Salander, though. Both actresses were perfect in their own way. I was pleasantly surprised by Daniel Craig - I only know him as Bond.

The opening sequence - it was overly stylistic but omg, loved the Immigrant Song remake. I noticed Trent Reznor did the music.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved the American version. Rooney Mara was a great Lisbeth, though I personally preferred Noomi. Daniel Craig wasn't who I would have put in the part but he did a great job as well.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Wow, just saw it. Excellent, excellent film.
    Fanny Mare likes this.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I read the book several years ago - then saw the movie when it first came out. I just finished re-reading the book, and am going back to see the movie today. Old people forget stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Wow, just saw it. Excellent, excellent film.
    I agee. I am seeing it again soon.

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I got a whole lot more out of it the second time.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Thats good to know AZ.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Wow... I feel like a real party pooper, but I had real problems with this film...as did my Sig. Other. We'd both read and really liked all three books, but we felt that if you hadn't read the books you would have NO clue what was going on half the time. You wouldn't understand who the old guy who had the stroke was ...just that he was someone who had apparently cared about her, or why she needed a lawyer and what power he had over her and why until late in the movie. The relationship with Craig's co-editor was just elided over...broke up his marriage but not hers, and she's standing there with another guy with his arm around her and then in bed with Craig....and that's important for the last scene. Large parts of the dialogue were unintelligible due to accents and mumbling (yes, this partly our hearing beginning to go, but not only), the opening montage was very artsy but I thought overly long..yes, blossoming flower images...we get it. THe wrap up was very fast... well, again, just glad I'd read the books before I went to this.
    On the plus side I thought Rooney Mara was an excellent ES...really close to my image of the character from the book. I'm told that at least some of her sports royalty family are notoriously conservative, so can't imagine they are thrilled with all the explicity nudity, but thought it was quite in character for ES. Craig was good as well, although my book image was a bit more shlubby....a guy who made it a bit more puzzling why women liked him...that it was his personality and not his body.
    So, I guess I'd recommend, especially for anyone whose hearing has ANY problems, that you read the book first. I'm surprised this movie isn't getting any awards...it came out in 2011, right?
    PA Snow Bunny likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Wow... I feel like a real party pooper, but I had real problems with this film...as did my Sig. Other. We'd both read and really liked all three books, but we felt that if you hadn't read the books you would have NO clue what was going on half the time. You wouldn't understand who the old guy who had the stroke was ...just that he was someone who had apparently cared about her, or why she needed a lawyer and what power he had over her and why until late in the movie.
    I do agree that parts of it went very fast, because I was wondering if it would be hard to follow without reading the book.

The relationship with Craig's co-editor was just elided over...broke up his marriage but not hers, and she's standing there with another guy with his arm around her and then in bed with Craig....and that's important for the last scene.
    Interesting, I thought they did a good job with this. I thought the Swedish version glossed over Erika MUCH more that this version did. Early on in the meeting with Armansky (sp?) and the guy who works for Vanger Lisbeth says that Mikael is sleeping with his married co-editor and the relationship broke up his marriage, but not hers. So I thought they covered the gist of it concisely.

Craig was good as well, although my book image was a bit more shlubby....a guy who made it a bit more puzzling why women liked him...that it was his personality and not his body.
    I just chalked it up to Hollywood being what it is. They want a pretty face to get people filling theater seats.

So, I guess I'd recommend, especially for anyone whose hearing has ANY problems, that you read the book first. I'm surprised this movie isn't getting any awards...it came out in 2011, right?
    It was nominated for two Golden Globes. Best original score and Best actress in a drama (Rooney Mara). I was hoping Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross would win the award for best original score, but another film beat them out. I think the Oscars are coming up next month, so maybe this film will have another chance there?
    Last edited by ClosetRTWatcher; 01-17-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Wow... I feel like a real party pooper, but I had real problems with this film...as did my Sig. Other. We'd both read and really liked all three books, but we felt that if you hadn't read the books you would have NO clue what was going on half the time. You wouldn't understand who the old guy who had the stroke was ...just that he was someone who had apparently cared about her, or why she needed a lawyer and what power he had over her and why until late in the movie. The relationship with Craig's co-editor was just elided over...broke up his marriage but not hers, and she's standing there with another guy with his arm around her and then in bed with Craig....and that's important for the last scene. Large parts of the dialogue were unintelligible due to accents and mumbling (yes, this partly our hearing beginning to go, but not only), the opening montage was very artsy but I thought overly long..yes, blossoming flower images...we get it. THe wrap up was very fast... well, again, just glad I'd read the books before I went to this.
    On the plus side I thought Rooney Mara was an excellent ES...really close to my image of the character from the book. I'm told that at least some of her sports royalty family are notoriously conservative, so can't imagine they are thrilled with all the explicity nudity, but thought it was quite in character for ES. Craig was good as well, although my book image was a bit more shlubby....a guy who made it a bit more puzzling why women liked him...that it was his personality and not his body.
    I had no problem at all picking up who was who. I thought everything was laid out amazing clearly.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast